This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Cell-Based Powertrain Analysis for Tramway Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this paper, a comparison of three different hybrid powertrains is analysed. The numerical model is used to simulate powertrain behaviour in rail application, on a pre-set drive cycle, composed of many acceleration and decelerations, in order to test the components features.
The numerical model is dynamic and it is implemented in Matlab-Simulink environmental.
A proton exchange membrane fuel cell (FC) is used; it is the most used in transport applications, thanks to its lower temperature compared to the other fuel cell types, which allows fast start up operation and rapid demand changes. A standard supercapacitor (SC), given by higher power density, is utilized as the energy storage system (ESS), Regarding the battery (B), two types are considered, because the battery is used both as prime mover and main component of the ESS; Li-ion batteries are chosen, owing to their good trade-off between specific power and energy.
Therefore, three configurations, FC-SC, FC-B and B-SC, are analysed.
The vehicle model takes into account other components. The regenerative brake system is used to recover energy during the deceleration phases, and the auxiliary system is modelled in order to consider the consumption due to lighting, air conditioning, etc. The DC/DC converter is used to connect energy sources and load; it is unidirectional for the FC and bidirectional for the other sources. This is because the ESS provides power for the drive cycle and it stores energy provided by the FC (when the power demand is low) and recovered by the regenerative brake (in deceleration operation).
In addition, a control system is implemented, able to manage the entire system and set the power output of each source at each instant of time. It works in order to achieve good performance for each energy source, in terms of high efficiency and long lifetime. This means low power variations for the FC and a pre-set interval for the ESS state of charge.
At the end, the results achieved by the simulations (such as efficiency, state of charge, and hydrogen consumption) are discussed and analysed for the different configurations.
CitationFragiacomo, P. and Piraino, F., "Fuel Cell-Based Powertrain Analysis for Tramway Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0248, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0248.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- International Energy Agency (IEA) , “Cities, Towns and Renewable Energy,” 2009, http://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/cities2009.pdf.
- Pablo-Romero, M.d.P., Pozo-Barajas, R., and Yñiguez, R. , “Global Changes in Residential Energy Consumption,” Energy Policy 101:342-352, 2017.
- Shan, Y. et al. , “Methodology and Applications of City Level CO2 Emission Accounts in China,” Journal of Cleaner Production 161:1215-1225, 2017.
- International Renewable Association ,“Renewable Energy in Cities,” 2016, https://www.irena.org/-/media/Files/IRENA/Agency/Publication/2016/IRENA_Renewable_Energy_in_Cities_2016.pdf.
- Herrera, V.I., et al. , “Optimal Energy Management of a Battery-Supercapacitor Based Light Rail Vehicle Using Genetic Algorithms,” in 2015 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), IEEE, 2015.
- Herrera, V.I. et al. , “Optimal Energy Management and Sizing of a Battery--Supercapacitor-Based Light Rail Vehicle with a Multiobjective Approach,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 52(4):3367-3377, 2016.
- Liu, J. et al. , “A Discrete Hidden Markov Model Fault Diagnosis Strategy Based on K-Means Clustering Dedicated to PEM Fuel Cell Systems of Tramways,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 43(27):12428-12441, 2018.
- Yan, Y. et al. , “Optimal Energy Management and Control in Multimode Equivalent Energy Consumption of Fuel Cell/Supercapacitor of Hybrid Electric Tram,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 66(8):6065-6076, 2019.
- Torreglosa, J.P. et al. , “Hybrid Fuel Cell and Battery Tramway Control Based on an Equivalent Consumption Minimization Strategy,” Control Engineering Practice 19(10):1182-1194, 2011.
- Hong, Z. et al. , “An Energy Management Strategy Based on Dynamic Power Factor for Fuel Cell/Battery Hybrid Locomotive,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 43(6):3261-3327, 2018.
- Fragiacomo, P. and Francesco, P. , “Energy Performance of a Fuel Cell Hybrid System for Rail Vehicle Propulsion,” Energy Procedia 126:1051-1058, 2017.
- Fragiacomo, P. and Piraino, F. , “Numerical Modelling of a PEFC Powertrain System Controlled by a Hybrid Strategy for Rail Urban Transport,” Journal of Energy Storage 17:474-484, 2018.
- Fragiacomo, P. et al. , “Anion Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Modelling,” International Journal of Sustainable Energy 37(4):340-353, 2018.
- Dicks, A. and Rand, D.A.J. , Fuel Cell Systems Explained (New York: Wiley, 2018).
- Cheng, J., He, G., and Zhang, F. , “A Mini-Review on Anion Exchange Membranes for Fuel Cell Applications: Stability Issue and Addressing Strategies,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 40(23):7348-7360, 2015.
- Datasheet Hydrogenics Fuel Cell Power , HyPM HD 180.
- Dubal, D.P., Gomez-Romero, P., Sankapal, B.R., and Holze, R. , “Nickel Cobaltite as an Emerging Material for Supercapacitors: An Overview,” Nano Energy 11:377-399, 2015.
- Yassine, M. and Fabris, D. , “Performance of Commercially Available Supercapacitors,” Energies 10(9):1340, 2017.
- Datasheet Maxwell BMOD0063-P12 Module.
- García, P. et al. , “Viability Study of a FC-Battery-SC Tramway Controlled by Equivalent Consumption Minimization Strategy,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 37(11):9368-9382, 2012.
- Scrosati, B. and Garche, J. , “Lithium Batteries: Status, Prospects and Future,” Journal of Power Sources 195(9):2419-2430, 2010.
- Datasheet Tamuz Electronics Battery HP 602030 LFP.
- Datasheet Kokam SLPB120216216.
- Hubka, L. and Školník, P. , “Tram Simulation Model for Energy Balance Analyses,” in 2017 21st International Conference on Process Control (PC), IEEE, 2017.