This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Prechamber on Efficiency Improvement and Emissions Reduction of a SI Engine Fuelled with Gasoline
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The permanent aim of the automotive industry is the further improvement of the engine efficiency and the simultaneous pollutant emissions reduction.
The aim of the study was the optimization of the gasoline combustion by means of a passive prechamber. This analysis allowed the improvement of the engine efficiency in lean-burn operation condition too. The investigation was carried out in a commercial small Spark Ignition (SI) engine fueled with gasoline and equipped with a proper designed passive prechamber.
It was analyzed the effects of the prechamber on engine performance, Indicated Mean Effective Pressure, Heat Release Rate and Fuel Consumption were used. Gaseous emissions were measured as well. Particulate Mass, Number and Size Distributions were analyzed. Emissions samples were taken from the exhaust flow, just downstream of the valves. Four different engine speeds were investigated, namely 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 rpm. Stoichiometric and lean conditions at full load were considered in all tests. The results were compared with those obtained with the engine equipped with the standard spark plug. The results indicated that both performance and emissions were strongly influenced by the prechamber.
CitationSementa, P., Catapano, F., Di Iorio, S., and Vaglieco, B., "Effects of Prechamber on Efficiency Improvement and Emissions Reduction of a SI Engine Fuelled with Gasoline," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0236, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0236.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Najjar, Y.S.H. , “Comparison of Performance of a Greener Direct-Injection Stratified-Charge (DISC) Engine with a Spark-Ignition Engine Using a Simplified Model,” Energy 36(7):4136-4143, 2011.
- Zhao, F., Lai, M.C., and Harrington, D.L. , “Automotive Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 25(5):437-562, 1999.
- Zhao, F., Lai, M.C., and Harrington, D.L. , “The Spray Characteristics of Automotive Portfuel Injection - A Critical Review,” SAE Technical Paper 950506, 1995, doi:10.4271/950506.
- Harada, J., Tomita, T., Mizuno, H., and Mashiki Ito, Y. , “Development of a Direct Injection Gasoline Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 974054, 1997, doi:10.4271/974054.
- Di Iorio, S., Lazzaro, M., Sementa, P., Vaglieco, B.M. et al. , “Particle Size Distributions from a DI High Performance SI Engine Fuelled with Gasoline-Ethanol Blended Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0211, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-24-0211.
- Zigan, L., Schmitz, I., Flugel, A., Wensing, M. et al. , “Structure of Evaporating Single- and Multicomponent Fuel Spray for 2nd Generation Gasoline Direct Injection,” Fuel 90(1):348-363, 2011.
- Maricq, M.M., Szente, J.J., and Jahr, K. , “The Impact of Ethanol Fuel Blends on PM Emissions from a Light-Duty GDI Vehicle,” Aerosol Science and Technology 46:576-583, 2012.
- Myung, C.L., Kim, J., Choi, K., Hwang, I.G. et al. , “Comparative Study of Engine Control Strategies for Particulate Emissions from Direct Injection Light-Duty Vehicle Fueled with Gasoline and Liquid Phase Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG),” Fuel 94:348-355, 2012.
- Zhao, F., Lai, M.C., and Harrington, D.L. , “A Review of Mixture Preparation and Combustion Control Strategies for Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 970627, 1997, doi:10.4271/970627.
- Zhao, F., Lai, M.-C., and Harrington, D.L. , “Automotive Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 25:437-562, 1999.
- Ando, H. and Arcoumanis, C. , “Chapter 3: Mixture Preparation and Combustion in Four-Stroke Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines,” Flow, and Combustion in Reciprocating Engines, Experimental Fluid Mechanics (Springer, 2009), 1-35.
- Di Iorio, S., Sementa, P., and Vaglieco, B. , “Experimental Investigation of a Methane-Gasoline Dual-Fuel Combustion in a Small Displacement Optical Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0046, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-24-0046.
- Cathcart, G. and Tubb, J. , “Application of Air Assisted Direct Fuel Injection to Pressure Charged Gasoline Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0705, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0705.
- Experimental and Numerical Study of a Spark Ignition Engine with Air-Assisted Direct Injection,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 222:1103-1119, June 1, 2008.
- Jin, S.-H., Brear, M., Watson, H., and Brewster, S. , “An Experimental Study of the Spray from an Air-Assisted, Direct Fuel Injector,” IMechE Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 222(10):1883-1894, 2008, ISSN:0954-4070.
- Heywood, J.B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1988).
- Cho, H.M. and He, B.-Q. , “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Lean Burn Natural Gas Engine,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 9(4):415-422, Aug. 2008.
- Getzlaff, J., Pape, J., Gruenig, C., Kuhnert, D. et al. , “Investigations on Pre-Chamber Spark Plug with Pilot Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0479, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0479.
- Uyehara, O. , “Prechamber for Lean Burn for Low NOx for Natural Gas,” SAE Technical Paper 951937, 1995, doi:10.4271/951937.
- Park, J., Kang, B., Kim, K., Lee, T. et al. , “Study on Combustion Characteristics and Application of Radial Induced Ignition Method in an Actual Engine,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 6, 2005.
- Tanoue, K., Kimura, T., Jimoto, T., Hashimoto, J. et al. , “Study of Prechamber Combustion Characteristics in a Rapid Compression and Expansion Machine,” Applied Thermal Engineering 115:64-71, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.12.079.
- Crane, M. and King, S. , “Emission Reductions through Precombustion Chamber Design in a Natural gas, Lean Burn Engine,” American Society of Mechanical Engineers 114:466-474, 1992.
- Dale, J. , “Application of High Energy Ignition Systems to Engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 23(5-6):379-398, 1997, doi:10.1016/S0360-1285(97)00011-7.
- Sementa, P., Catapano, F., Di Iorio, S., and Vaglieco, B.M. , “Experimental Investigation of a Fueled Prechamber Combustion in an Optical Small Displacement SI Methane Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0170, 2019, doi:10.4271/2019-24-0170.