This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Incipient Surge Detection in Automotive Turbocharger Compressors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Nowadays, turbocharging is a technique widely used to improve fuel consumption and exhaust emissions in automotive engines.
Centrifugal compressors are typically adopted, even if an efficient engine integration is often restricted by surge phenomena.
The focus of the present work is to describe an experimental analysis developed with the aim at characterizing and identifying compressor behavior in incipient surge conditions. The acoustic and vibrational operative response of two automotive centrifugal compressors has been experimentally analyzed on the test facility operating at the University of Genoa.
Each compressor is characterized by a classical architecture and one of them is equipped with a “ported shroud”, which enlarges stable zone.
Compressors characteristic curves have been measured under steady flow conditions for different levels of corrected rotational speed from the choking region to the surge line. Moreover, transient operations have been taken into account where, starting from a stable condition, surge phenomenon was generated progressively closing a valve positioned downstream the compressor or increasing rotational speed keeping fixed the circuit characteristics.
Accelerometer and microphone signals have been acquired and analyzed both in the sub-synchronous contents and in higher frequencies range related to blade passage phenomenon.
In addition, instantaneous compressor outlet pressure, turbocharger rotational speed and temperature (captured close to the rotor) have been recorded.
Different signal processing techniques in time and frequency domain have been considered to analyze components and to separate the whole signal into individual source contributions to identify the system status. The obtained results provide an interesting diagnostic and predictive solution to detect compressor instabilities at low mass flow rate operating conditions.
CitationMarelli, S., Silvestri, P., Usai, V., and Capobianco, M., "Incipient Surge Detection in Automotive Turbocharger Compressors," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0186, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0186.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Emmons , H.W. , Pearson , C.E. , and Grant , H.P. Compressor Surge and Stall Propagation Transactions of the ASME 77 455 469 1955
- Fink , D.A. , Cumpsty , N.A. , and Greitzer , E.M. Surge Dynamics in a Free-Spool Centrifugal Compressor System J. Turbomachinery 114 321 332 1992
- Yano , T. and Nagata , B. A Study on Surging Phenomena in Diesel Engine Air-Charging System The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 14 364 376 1971
- Greitzer , E.M. Surge and Rotating Stall in Axial Flow Compressors. Part I: Theoretical Compression System Model Journal of Engineering for Power 98 190 198 1976
- Biliotti , D. , Bianchini , A. , Vannini , G. , Belardini , E. et al. Analysis of the Rotor Dynamic Response of a Centrifugal Compressor Subject to Aerodynamic Loads Due to Rotating Stall Journal of Turbomachinery ASME 137 2015
- Bently , D.E. and Goldman , P. 2000
- Munari , E. , Morini , M. , Pinelli , M. , Spina , P.R. , and Suman , A. Experimental Investigation of Stall and Surge in a Multistage Compressor ASME Turbo Expo Seoul, South Korea 2016
- Liskiewicz , G. , Horodko , L. , Stickland , M. , and Kryłłowicz , W. Identification of Phenomena Preceding Blower Surge by Means of Pressure Spectral Maps Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 54 267 278 April 2014
- Kabral , R. and Åbom , M. Investigation of Turbocharger Compressor Surge Inception by Means of an Acoustic Two-Port Model Journal of Sound and Vibration 412 270 286 2018
- Marelli , S. , Misley , A. , Taylor , A. , Silviestri , P. et al. Experimental Investigation on Surge Phenomena in an Automotive Turbocharger Compressor SAE Technical Papers 2018-01-0976 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0976
- Ferrari , M.L. , Silvestri , P. , Pascenti , M. , Reggio , F. , and Massardo , A.F. Experimental Dynamic Analysis on a T100 Microturbine Connected with Different Volume Sizes ASME Transactions - Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 140 021701 1-12 2018
- Ferrari , M.L. , Silvestri , P. , Reggio , F. , and Massardo , A.F. Surge Prevention for Gas Turbines Connected with Large Volume Size: Experimental Demonstration with a Microturbine Applied Energy 230 1057 1064 2018
- Dehner , R. , Figurella , N. , Selamet , A. , Keller , P. et al. Instabilities at the Low-Flow Range of a Turbocharger Compressor SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 1356 1367 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1886
- Zhenzhong , S. , Wangzhi , Z. , and Xinqian , Z. Instability Detection of Centrifugal Compressors by Means of Acoustic Measurements Aerospace Science and Technology 82-83 628 635 2018
- Aretakis , N. , Mathioudakis , K. , Kefalakis , M. , and Papailiou , K. Turbocharger Unstable Operation Diagnosis Using Vibroacoustic Measurements ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 126 840 847 Nov. 2004
- Morini , M. , Pinelli , M. , and Venturini , M. Acoustic and Vibrational Analyses on a Multi-Stage Compressor for Unstable Behavior Precursor Identification ASME Turbo Expo Montreal, Canada 2007
- Munari , E. , D’Elia , G. , Morini , M. , Mucchi , E. et al. Experimental Investigation of Vibrational and Acoustic Phenomena for Detecting the Stall and Surge of a Multistage Compressor ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power. 140 9 092605 092605-9 2018 10.1115/1.4038765
- Guillou , E. , Gancedo , M. , and Gutmark , E. Experimental Investigation of Flow Instability in a Turbocharger Ported Shroud Compressor Journal of Turbomachinery 138 061002 061001 2016
- Tanda , G. , Marelli , S. , Marmorato , G. , and Capobianco , M. An Experimental Investigation of Internal Heat Transfer in an Automotive Turbocharger Compressor Applied Energy 193 531 539 2017 10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.02.053
- Marelli , S. and Capobianco , M. Experimental Investigation under Unsteady Flow Conditions on Turbocharger Compressors for Automotive Gasoline Engines 10th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging 2012 219 229
- Marelli , S. and Capobianco , M. Measurement of Instantaneous Fluid Dynamic Parameters in Automotive Turbocharging Circuit SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0124 2009 10.4271/2009-24-0124
- Friswell , M.I. , Penny , J.E.T. , Garvey , S.D. , Lees , A.W. Dynamics of Rotating Machines
- Muszyńska , A. Rotordynamics CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group 2005 978-0-8247-2399-6
- Oppenheim , A.V. and Schafer , R.W. Discrete-Time Signal Processing Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA Prentice-Hall, Inc. 1999
- Randall , R.B. A New Method of Modelling Gear Faults Journal of Mechanical Design 104 259 267 1982
- Mcfadden , P.D. Detecting Fatigue Cracks in Gear by Amplitude and Phase Demodulation of the Meshing Vibration ASME J. of Vibration, Acoustics, Stress, and Reliability in Design 108 165 170
- Lotfi , S. , Jaouher , B.A. , and Farhat , F. Application of Higher Order Spectral Features and Support Vector Machines Forbearing Faults Classification ISA Transactions 54 193 206 2015
- Hyvärinen , A. , Karhunen , J. , and Oja , E. Independent Component Analysis John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Comon , P. and Jutten , C. Handbook of Blind Source Separation Independent Component Analysis and Applications Elsevier Ltd
- Lucifredi , A. and Silvestri , P. An Overview of Fundamental Requirements for a Condition Monitoring and Fault Diagnosis System for Machinery and Power Plants Proceedings of the Tenth International Congress on Sound and Vibration 2003 4691 4698
- Aonzo , E. , Lucifredi , A. , and Silvestri , P. Diagnostic Modules Based on Chaos Theory for Condition Monitoring of Rotating Machinery Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering 2000 937 944