This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of the Effect of the Sampling Conditions on the sub-23 nm Particles Emitted by a Small Displacement PFI and DI SI Engines Fueled with Gasoline, Ethanol and a Blend
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The growing concerns on the emission of particles smaller than 23 nm, which are harmful to human health, lead to the necessity of introducing a regulation for these particles not yet included in the current emission standards. Considering that measurements of concentration of sub-23 nm particles are particularly sensitive to the sampling conditions, it is important to identify an effective assessment procedure.
Aim of this paper is the characterization of the effect of the sampling conditions on sub-23 nm particles, emitted by PFI (port fuel injection) and DI (direct injection) spark ignition engines fueled with gasoline, ethanol and a mixture of ethanol and gasoline (E30). The experimental activity was carried out on a 250 cm3 displacement four stroke GDI and PFI single cylinder engines. The tests were conducted at 2000 rpm and 4000 rpm full load, representative of the homologation urban driving cycle. Particle emissions were characterized in terms of mass concentration, by means of a Smokemeter, and of number and size in the range of 5.6-560 nm, through the Engine Exhaust Particle Sizer (EEPS). The sampling was performed by a PMP compliant system, which permits to change the main sampling parameters. Particular attention was focused on the interval of 10-23 nm, to better characterize the effect of the sampling parameters on these particles, with the aim of determining a proper procedure for the measurement.
The results show the strong influence of sampling conditions on particle measurements, especially for the sub- 23 nm highlighting the necessity for a definition of an appropriate measurement protocol for this size fraction.
CitationDi Iorio, S., Catapano, F., Vaglieco, B., Continillo, G. et al., "Analysis of the Effect of the Sampling Conditions on the sub-23 nm Particles Emitted by a Small Displacement PFI and DI SI Engines Fueled with Gasoline, Ethanol and a Blend," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0155, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0155.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
- Myung , C.L. and Park , S. Exhaust Nanoparticle Emissions from Internal Combustion Engines: A Review International Journal of Automotive Technology 13 1 9 22 2012 10.1007/s12239-012-0002-y
- Analitis , A. , Katsouyanni , K. , Dimakopoulou , K. et al. Short-Term Effects of Ambient Particles on Cardiovascular and Respiratory Mortality Epidemiology 17 230 233 2006
- Dieselnet, Emission Standards https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/eu/ld.php
- Burtscher , H. Physical Characterization of Particulate Emissions from Diesel Engines: A Review Science Direct 2004
- Andersson J. , Giechaskiel B. , Muñoz-Bueno R. , Sandbach E. , et al. 2007
- Herner , J.D. , Hu , S. , Robertson , W.H. , Huai , T. et al. Effect of Advanced Aftertreatment for PM and NOx Reduction on Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Ultrafine Particle Emissions Environ Sci Technol 45 2413 2419 2011
- Manual AVL Instruments https://www.avl.com/documents/10138/885893/Application+Notes
- Automotive Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines 2000
- Longfei , C. , Zhirong , L. , Xin , Z. , and Shijin , S. Characterizing Particulate Matter Emissions from GDI and PFI Vehicles Under Transient and Cold Start Conditions Fuel 189 131 140 2017
- Catapano , F. , Di Iorio , S. , Sementa , P. , and Vaglieco , B. Characterization of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends Combustion processes and Particle Emissions in a GDI/PFI Small Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1382 2014 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1382
- Balabin , R.M. , Synyaev , R.Z. , and Karpov , S.A. Quantitative Measurement of Ethanol Distribution over Fractions of Ethanol-Gasoline Fuel Energy & Fuels 21 2460 2465 2007
- Kittelson , D. Engines and Nanoparticles: A Review J. Aerosol Sci 29 575 588 1998
- Zheng , Z. , Durbin , T. , Karavalakis , G. , Johnson , K. et al. Nature of Sub-23 nm Particles in the Solid Particle Measurement Method: A Real Time Data Perspective Aerosol Sci. Technol 46 7 886 896 2012 10.1080/02786826.2012.679167