This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Vehicle with Ultra-Low NOx Emissions on the Road
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 9, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The gap between diesel vehicle emissions in laboratory tests compared to those in use has been addressed by the introduction of the Real Driving Emissions (RDE) requirements. Modern diesel technology now demonstrates low emissions on the road over a wide range of driving conditions. This paper further demonstrates that consistent low nitrogen oxide (NOx) and particle number (PN) emissions can be achieved over a wide range of driving conditions beyond Euro 6d RDE requirements, with emission control technologies combined in an integrated approach.
An LNT (Lean NOx Trap) is combined with a dual-dosing SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) system. Low-load NOx control is achieved by the LNT in combination with a close-coupled SCR coated on the Diesel Particulate Filter (SDPF). High load conditions, on the other hand, are covered by the underfloor SCR system with a second AdBlue® injector. A P0 48V mild-hybrid system is also available to support the NOx control and to ensure good driving performance and fuel efficiency. An advanced control strategy is implemented to ensure optimal interaction between all emission control functionalities. The system was implemented on a C-segment demonstrator vehicle.
The paper discusses the emissions tests performed and the results achieved. A combination of tests on the road and in the lab were carried out to cover a wide range of driving conditions. Special attention was paid to the robustness of the emission performance under urban and motorway driving conditions. Results demonstrate that each aftertreatment component contributes to achieving consistently low NOx emissions under all driving conditions. Particulate emissions are effectively controlled by the DPF.
CitationDemuynck, J., Favre, C., Bosteels, D., Bunar, F. et al., "Diesel Vehicle with Ultra-Low NOx Emissions on the Road," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0145, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0145.
- Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/1151 of 1 June 2017, Amended by Regulation (EU) 2017/1154 and Regulation (EU) 2018/1832, https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1545234494664&uri=CELEX:32017R1151.
- Holderbaum, B., Kind, M., Menne, C., Wittka, T., Vagnoni, G., Bosteels, D., Favre, C. and May, J. , “Potential for Euro 6 Passenger Cars with SCR to Meet RDE Requirements,” in Vienna Motorensymposium, 2015.
- Bosteels, D., Demuynck, J., and Favre, C. , “Diesel Engines on the Pathway to Low Impact on Local Air Quality,” in 4th International Conference Diesel Powertrains 3.0, Coventry, July 2018.
- Kufferath A., Krüger M., Naber D., Mailänder E., and Maier R. , “The Path to a Negligible NO2 Immission Contribution from the Diesel Powertrain,” in Vienna Motorensymposium, 2018.
- Avolio, G., Brück, R., Grimm, J., Maiwald, O., Rösel, G., and Zhang, H. , “Super Clean Electrified Diesel: Towards Real NOx Emissions below 35 mg/km,” in 27th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, 2018.
- Concawe-Ricardo Report, “Expectations for Actual Euro 6 Vehicle Emissions,” www.concawe.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/RD18-000697-2-CONCAWE_Expectations_for_Actual_Euro_6_Vehicle_Emissions.pdf.
- “PKW-Modelle mit der Abgasnorm Euro 6d-TEMP / Euro 6d,” ADAC Website, Consulted February 8, 2019, https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/umwelt-und-innovation/abgas/modelle_mit_euro_6d_temp/default.aspx.
- “Moderne Diesel sind sehr sauber,” ADAC Ecotest report, September 18, 2019, https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/abgas-diesel-fahrverbote/dieselkauf-abgasnorm/euro-6d-temp/.
- ACEA RDE Monitoring Database , https://www.acea.be/publications/article/access-to-euro-6-rde-monitoring-data.
- JAMA RDE Monitoring Database , http://www.jama-english.jp/europe/publications/rde.html.
- “Preparing Automotive Emission Standards for the Future,” European Commission Stakeholder Event, October 24, 2018, Brussels, https://ec.europa.eu/growth/content/stakeholder-event-preparing-future-european-emission-standards-light-and-heavy-duty-vehicles_en.
- Kufferath, A. et al. , “EU6d - Analysis of Boundary Conditions and Evaluation of the Impact on Emissions using the Example of the Advanced Diesel Powertrain,” in 40th Vienna Motorsymposium, 2019.
- Schönen, M. et al. , “White Eco Diesel Powertrain with Pre-Turbine Exhaust Aftertreatment and Mild-Hybrid Concept for lowest NOx Emission under Urban Driving Condition,” in 40th Vienna Motorsymposium, 2019.
- Bunar, F. et al. , “Exhaust Aftertreatment Systems for Hybridized Diesel Powertrains in RDE Context,” in 7th MinNOx Conference, Berlin, 2018.
- Han, W. et al. , “From SULEV EAT Concept to ECU Software,” in 14h International Stuttgart Symposium, 2014.
- Bunar, F. et al. , “High Performance Diesel NOx-Aftertreatment Concept for Future Worldwide Requirements,” in 23rd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, Aachen, 2014.
- Gelbert, G. et al. , “Robust NH3 Filling Level Control for Tandem SCR Systems Based on Low Dimensional Models,” in 7th International MinNOx Conference, Berlin, June 19-20, 2018.