This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emissive Behavior of a Heavy-Duty SI Gas Engine During WHTC
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In the arduous aim to reduce petroleum fuel consumption and toxic emissions, gaseous fuels can represent an alternative solution for heavy duty applications with respect to conventional liquid fuels.
At the same time, the imposition of more stringent emission regulations in the transport sector, is a crucial aspect to be taken into account during the development of future gas engines.
Aim of the present paper was to characterize a heavy duty spark ignition engine, under development for Euro VI compliance, with a particular focus on exhaust particulate emissions. In this sense, the engine was installed on a dynamic test bench, accurately instrumented to analyze combustion evolution, performance and exhaust pollutant emissions, along the World Harmonized Transient Cycle (WHTC).
The emissions diagnostic devices included a gas analysis system for the measurement of regulated species, a photo-acoustic sensor and a fast particulate spectrometer for on-line soot, particle number (PN) and particle size measurements, during the transient engine tests. The system layout comprised also a Thermodenuder to provide information on the volatile species contribution to particles emissions.
The results reveal a correlation of soot and PN emissions with some specific phases of the test cycle, providing some clues on the source of particles emissions.
The paper improves the literature in this field, at present still limited, providing useful information on soot and PN emissions from a heavy duty gas engine at the state of art technology.
CitationGuido, C., Fraioli, V., Napolitano, P., Alfuso, S. et al., "Emissive Behavior of a Heavy-Duty SI Gas Engine During WHTC," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0121, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0121.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Khan , M.I.Y.T. , Yasmin , A. , and Shakoor Technical Overview of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) as a Transportation Fuel Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 51 785 797 2015 10.1016/j.rser.2015.06.053
- Alrazen , H.A. and Ahmada , K.A. HCNG Fueled Spark-Ignition (SI) Engine with its Effects on Performance and Emissions Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 82 324 342 2018 10.1016/j.rser.2017.09.035
- Yeh , S. An Empirical Analysis on the Adoption of Alternative Fuel Vehicles: The Case of Natural Gas Vehicles Energy Policy 35 5865 5875 2007 10.1016/j.enpol.2007.06.012
- Thiruvengadam , A. , Besch , M. , Padmanaban , V. , Pradhan , S. , and Demirgok , B. Natural Gas Vehicles in Heavy-Duty Transportation - A Review Energy Policy 122 253 259 2018
- Karavalakis , G. , Hajbabaei , M. , Jiang , Y. , Yang , J. et al. Regulated, Greenhouse Gas, and Particulate Emissions from Lean-Burn and Stoichiometric Natural Gas Heavy-Duty Vehicles on Different Fuel Compositions Fuel 175 146 156 2016
- Bielaczyc , P. , Szczotka , A. , and Brodzinski , H. Analysis of the Exhaust Emissions from Vehicles Fuelled with Petrol or LPG and CNG Alternatively Journal of Kones. Combustion Engines 1-2 2001
- Kakaee , A. , Paykani , A. , and Ghajar , M. The Influence of Fuel Composition on the Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Natural Gas Fueled Engines Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 38 64 78 2014 10.1016/j.rser.2014.05.080
- Grigoratos , T. , Fontaras , G. , Martini , G. , and Peletto , G. A Study of Regulated and Greenhouse Gas Emissions from a Prototype Heavy-Duty Compressed Natural Gas Engine under Transient and Real Life Conditions Energy 103 340 355 2016 10.1016/j.energy.2016.02.157
- Guido , C. , Napolitano , P. , Fraioli , V. , Beatrice , C. , and Del Giacomo , N. Assessment of Engine Control Parameters Effect to Minimize GHG Emissions in a Dual Fuel NG/Diesel Light Duty Engine SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0266 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0266
- Dondero , L. and Goldemberg , J. Environmental Implications of Converting Light Gas Vehicles: The Brazilian Experience Energy Policy 33 1703 1708 2005
- Kato , T. , Saeki , K. , Nishide , H. , and Yamada , T. Development of CNG Fueled Engine with Lean Burn for Small Size Commercial Van JSAE Rev 22 365 368 2001
- Tilagone , R. , Monnier , G. , Chaouche , A. , Baguelin , Y. , and Chauveron , D.S. Development of a High Efficiency, Low Emission SI-CNG Bus Engine SAE: Technical Paper 961080 1996 10.4271/961080
- Kado , N.Y. , Okamoto , R.A. , Kuzmicky , P.A. , Kobayashi , R. et al. Emissions of Toxic Pollutants from Compressed Natural Gas and Low Sulfur Diesel-Fueled Heavy-Duty Transit Buses Tested over Multiple Driving Cycles Environ Sci Technol 29 7638 7649 2005
- Paul , A. , Panua , R. , Debroy , D. , and Bose , B. An Experimental Study of the Performance, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a CI Engine under Dual Fuel Mode Using CNG and Oxygenated Pilot Fuel Blends Energy 86 560 573 2015
- Yoon , S. , Collins , J. , Thiruvengadam , A. , Gautam , M. et al. Criteria Pollutant and Greenhouse Gas Emissions from CNG Transit Buses Equipped with Three-Way Catalysts Compared to Lean-Burn Engines and Oxidation Catalyst Technologies J Air Waste Manag Assoc 63 923 933 2013
- Jayaratne , E.R. , Ristovski , Z.D. , Meyer , N. , and Morawska , L. Particle and Gaseous Emissions from Compressed Natural Gas and Ultralow Sulphur Diesel-Fuelled Buses at Four Steady Engine Loads Sci Total Environ 407 8 2845 2852 2009
- Karavalakis , G. , Hajbabaei , M. , Durbin , T. , Johnson , K. , and Zheng , Z. The Effect of Natural Gas Composition on the Regulated Emissions, Gaseous Toxic Pollutants, and Ultrafine Particle Number Emissions from a Refuse Hauler Vehicle Energy 50 280 291 2013
- Giechaskiel , B. Solid Particle Number Emission Factors of Euro VI Heavy-Duty Vehicles on the Road and in the Laboratory Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 15 304 2018 10.3390/ijerph15020304
- Health Effects Institute 2017
- Hora , T.S. , Shukla , P.C. , and Agarwal , A.K. Particulate Emissions from Hydrogen Enriched Compressed Natural Gas Engine Fuel 166 574 580 2016 10.1016/j.fuel.2015.11.035
- HEI Review Panel on Ultrafine Particles Understanding the Health Effects of Ambient Ultrafine Particles HEI Perspectives 3 2013 Health Effects Institute Boston, MA http://pubs.healtheffects.org/getfile.php?u¼893
- Lehtoranta , K. , Murtonen , T. , Vesala , H. , Alanen , J. et al. Natural Gas Engine Emission Reduction by Catalysts Emiss. Control Sci. Technol. 3 142 152 2017
- Thiruvengadam , A. , Besch , M.C. , Yoon , S. , Collins , J. et al. Characterization of Particulate Matter Emissions from a Current Technology Natural Gas Engine Environ. Sci. Technol. 48 8235 8242 2014 x.doi.org/10.1021/es5005973
- Jayaratne , E.R. , He , C. , Ristovski , Z.D. , Morawska , L. , and Johnson , G.R. A Comparative Investigation of Ultrafine Particle Number and Mass Emissions from a Fleet of on-Road Diesel and CNG Buses Environ SciTechnol 42 6736 6742 2008
- Zhang , Q. , Li , M. , Li , G. , Shao , S. , and Li , P. Transient Emission Characteristics of a Heavy-Duty Natural Gas Engine at Stoichiometric Operation with EGR and TWC Energy 132 225 237 2017
- Distaso , E. , Amirante , R. , Tamburrano , P. , and Reitz , R.D. Steady-State Characterization of Particle Number Emissions from a Heavy-Duty Euro VI Engine Fueled with Compressed Natural Gas Energy Procedia 148 671 678 2018
- Ristovski , Z.D. , Morawska , L. , Hitchins , J. , Thomas , S. et al. Particle Emissions from Compressed Natural Gas Engines J. Aerosol Sci. 31 4 403 413 2000
- Alanen , J. , Saukko , E. , Lehtoranta , K. , Murtonen , T. et al. The Formation and Physical Properties of the Particle Emissions from a Natural Gas Engine Fuel 162 155 161 2015
- Jayaratne , E. , Meyer , N. , Ristovski , Z. , and Morawska , L. Volatile Properties of Particles Emitted by Compressed Natural Gas and Diesel Buses during Steady-State and Transient Driving Modes Environ SciTechnol 46 196 203 2012
- Vouitsis , I. , Ntziachristos , L. , Samaras , C. , and Samaras , Z. Particulate Mass and Number Emission Factors for Road Vehicles Based on Literature Data and Relevant Gap Filling Methods Atmospheric Environment 168 75 89 2017 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2017.09.010
- Symonds , J.P.R. , Reavell , K. , St , J. , Olfert , J.S. et al. Diesel Soot Mass Calculation in Real-Time with a Differential Mobility Spectrometer Journal of Aerosol Science 38 1 52 68 January 2007
- Dekati Ltd.