This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Assessment of Ozone Addition Potential in Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The potential of ozone addition in compression ignition engines is investigated experimentally in this paper. Experiments were carried out in an optically accessible single cylinder engine equipped with a common rail direct injection system. A commercially available ozone generator (P < 100W) was used to add to the intake flow a controlled amount of ozone.
EU Diesel fuel (cetane number 52) and a Naphtha fuel (cetane number 33) were tested investigating the impact of Ozone in conventional diesel combustion and LTC cases (e.g. high exhaust gas recirculation rate).
Minimal ozone concentration in the intake flow (100 ppm) demonstrated to reduce significantly the ignition delay. However, the impact observed strongly depends on the engine conditions tested and, in general, this effect observed becomes significant in conditions characterized by a long ignition delay: low intake temperature, high dilution, and low cetane number fuel.
Significant practical benefits of ozone addition were found for engine cold-start, where ozone yields a significant reduction in misfire events during the first cycle and a faster stabilization of the combustion phasing and a reduction of the unburned hydrocarbons produced in the warm up phase. Also, a mild increase in the EGR tolerance for low load conditions was achieved (from 2 to5%). Optical diagnostics, such as CH2O planar laser induced fluorescence and natural chemiluminescence, were applied to understand the physics behind the ozone effects. The results demonstrated that O3 strongly affects the low temperature combustion phase, causing an earlier development of the chemical reactions. The impact on this phase is eventually reflected in a reduction of the second stage ignition delay, and in a more stable combustion.
CitationBardi, M., Pilla, G., and Matrat, M., "Experimental Assessment of Ozone Addition Potential in Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0118, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0118.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Benajes , J. , Molina , S. , García , A. , and Monsalve-Serrano , J. Effects of Low Reactivity Fuel Characteristics and Blending Ratio on Low Load RCCI (Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition) Performance and Emissions in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Energy 90 1261 1271 2015 10.1016/j.energy.2015.06.088
- Reuss , D.L. , Kuo , T.-W. , Silvas , G. , Natarajan , V. et al. Experimental Metrics for Identifying Origins of Combustion Variability during Spark-Assisted Compression Ignition International Journal of Engine Research 9 5 409 434 2008 10.1243/14680874JER01108
- Ji , C. , Dec , J.E. , Dernotte , J. , and Cannella , W. Effect of Ignition Improvers on the Combustion Performance of Regular-Grade E10 Gasoline in an HCCI Engine SAE International Journal of Engines 7 2 790 806 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1282
- Clothier , P.Q.E. , Aguda , B.D. , Moise , A. , and Pritchard , H.O. How Do Diesel-Fuel Ignition Improvers Work? Chem. Soc. Rev. 22 2 101 1993 10.1039/cs9932200101
- Ickes , A.M. , Bohac , S.V. , and Assanis , D.N. Effect of 2-Ethylhexyl Nitrate Cetane Improver on NO x Emissions from Premixed Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion Energy & Fuels 23 10 4943 4948 2009 10.1021/ef900408e
- Dempsey , A.B. , Walker , N.R. , and Reitz , R.D. Effect of Cetane Improvers on Gasoline, Ethanol, and Methanol Reactivity and the Implications for RCCI Combustion SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6 1 170 187 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1678
- Masurier , J.-B. , Foucher , F. , Dayma , G. , and Dagaut , P. Investigation of Iso-Octane Combustion in a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine Seeded by Ozone, Nitric Oxide and Nitrogen Dioxide Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 35 3 3125 3132 2015 10.1016/j.proci.2014.05.060
- Pinazzi , P.M. and Foucher , F. Potential of Ozone to Enable Low Load Operations of a Gasoline Compression Ignition (GCI) Engine SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0746 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0746
- Benajes , J. , García , A. , Monsalve-Serrano , J. , and Boronat , V. Achieving Clean and Efficient Engine Operation up to Full Load by Combining Optimized RCCI and Dual-Fuel Diesel-Gasoline Combustion Strategies Energy Conv. Manag. 136 142 151 2017
- Pacaud , P. , Perrin , H. , and Laget , O. Cold Start on Diesel Engine: Is Low Compression Ratio Compatible with Cold Start Requirements? SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1310 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1310
- Perrin , H. , Dumas , J.-P. , Laget , O. , and Walter , B. Analysis of Combustion Process in Cold Operation with a Low Compression Ratio Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 1012 1032 2010
- Won , H.W. , Bouet , A. , Duffour , F. , and Francqueville , L. Naphtha Fuel on a Light Duty Single Cylinder Compression Ignition Engine with Two Different Compression Ratios SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2302 2016 10.4271/2016-01-2302
- Genzale , C.L. , Reitz , R.D. , and Musculus , M.P.B. Effects of Piston Bowl Geometry on Mixture Development and Late-Injection Low-Temperature Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 913 937 2009
- Benajes , J. , Payri , R. , Bardi , M. , and Martí-Aldaraví , P. Experimental Characterization of Diesel Ignition and Lift-off Length Using a Single-Hole Injector Applied Thermal Engineering 58 1-2 554 563 2013 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2013.04.044
- Kashdan , J.T. , Docquier , N. , and Bruneaux , G. Mixture Preparation and Combustion via LIEF and LIF of Combustion Radicals in a Direct-Injection, HCCI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2945 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2945
- Gaydon , A. The Spectroscopy of Flames Springer Science & Business Media 2012 9400957203
- Maligne , D. and Bruneaux , G. Time-Resolved Fuel Film Thickness Measurement for Direct Injection SI Engines Using Refractive Index Matching SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1215 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1215
- Maes , N. , Bakker , P.C. , Dam , N. , and Somers , B. Transient Flame Development in a Constant-Volume Vessel Using a Split-Scheme Injection Strategy SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 10 2 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0815
- Andersson , Ö. and Miles , P.C. Diesel and Diesel LTC Combustion Encyclopedia of Automotive Engineering 2014
- Anselmi , P. , Kashdan , J. , Bression , G. , Ferrero-Lesur , E. et al. Improving Emissions, Noise and Fuel Economy Trade-off by Using Multiple Injection Strategies in Diesel Low Temperature Combustion (LTC) Mode SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2162 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2162
- Foucher , F. , Higelin , P. , Mounaїm-Rousselle , C. , and Dagaut , P. Influence of Ozone on the Combustion of N-Heptane in a HCCI Engine Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 34 2 3005 3012 2013 10.1016/j.proci.2012.05.042
- Musculus , M.P.B. , Miles , P.C. , and Pickett , L.M. Conceptual Models for Partially Premixed Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 39 2-3 283 246 2013 10.1016/j.pecs.2012.09.001
- Laget , O. , Pacaud , P. , and Perrin , H. Cold Start on Low Compression Ratio Diesel Engine: Experimental and 3D RANS Computation Investigations Oil Gas Sci. Technol. 64 3 407 429 2009 10.2516/ogst/2009