This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modelling and Control of a Novel Clutchless Multiple-Speed Transmission for Electric Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Conventional electric vehicles adopt either single-speed transmissions or direct drive architecture in order to reduce cost, losses and mass. However, the integration of optimized multiple-speed transmissions is considered as a feasible method to enhance EVs performances, (i.e. top speed, acceleration and grade climbing), improving powertrain efficiency, saving battery energy and reducing customer costs. Perfectly in line with these objectives, this paper presents a patented fully integrated electric traction system, as scalable solution for electrifying light duty passenger and commercial vehicles (1.5-4.2 tons), with a focus on minibuses (<20 seats). The adoption of high-speed motor coupled to multiple-speed transmission offers the possibility of a relevant efficiency improvement, a 50% volume reduction with respect to a traditional transmission, superior output torque and power density.
The proposed clutchless four-speed transmission is specifically conceived and designed to have the good matching with the traction electric motor. Indeed, clutches and synchronizers are not required thanks to the small inertia of the traction motor and its fast regulation in both torque and speed mode (torque modulation process). Therefore, an advanced shifting control system/strategy has been developed to reduce the time shifting, linked to the degree of jerk and the power interruption, guaranteeing the coordination of all the gear-shifting actuators despite the randomness of the gear shifting process.
After the description of the system layout, the paper gives an insight of the plant dynamic model and its equations. The controller architecture along with its strategies are also presented. The effectiveness of the proposed solution is proven through an extensive set of simulations carried out for a vehicle running on a real driving cycle.
CitationMalafronte, L., Grandone, M., Lega, A., Pennese, M. et al., "Modelling and Control of a Novel Clutchless Multiple-Speed Transmission for Electric Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0063, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0063.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Sorniotti , A. , Holdstock , T. , Everitt , M. , Fracchia , M. et al. A Novel Clutchless Multiple-Speed Transmission for Electric Axles International Journal of Powertrains 2 2/3 2013 10.1504/IJPT.2013.054155
- Walker , P. , Zhu , B. , and Zhang , N. Powertrain Dynamics and Control of a Two Speed Dual Clutch Transmission for Electric Vehicles Mech. Syst. Signal Process. 85 1 15 2017 10.1016/j.ymssp.2016.07.043
- Qi , W. , Yang , Y. , Wang , Y. et al. Analysis and Optimization of the Gear-Shifting Process for Automated Manual Transmissions in Electric Vehicles Proc. IMechE. Part D: J Automobile Eng 231 1 15 2017 10.1177/0954407016685461
- Ruan , J. , Walker , P. , Zhang , N. A Comparative Study Energy Consumption and Costs of Battery Electric Vehicle Transmissions Applied Energy 165 2016 119 134 10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.12.081
- Tseng , C. and Yu , C. Advanced Shifting Control of Synchronizer Mechanisms for Clutchless Automatic Manual Transmission in an Electric Vehicle Mechanism and Machine Theory 84 37 56 2015 10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2014.10.007
- Zhu , X. , Zhang , H. , Xi , J. , Wang , J. et al. Optimal Speed Synchronization control for Clutchless AMT Systems in Electric Vehicles with Preview Actions 2014 American Control Conference (ACC) Portland, OR June 4-6, 2014 10.1109/ACC.2014.6858849
- Gao , B. , Liang , Q. , Xiang , Y. , Guo , L. et al. Gear Ratio Optimization and Shift Control of 2-Speed I-AMT in Electric Vehicle Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 50-51 615 631 2015 10.1016/j.ymssp.2014.05.045
- Bóka , G. , Márialigeti , J. , Lovas , L. , and Trencséni , B. Face Dog Clutch Engagement at Low Mismatch Speed Transportation Engineering 38 1 29 35 2010 10.3311/pp.tr.2010-1.06
- Grandone , M. , Naddeo , M. , and Marra , D. , Rizzo , G. Development of a Regenerative Braking Control Strategy for Hybridized Solar Vehicle IFAC-PapersOnLine. 49 11 497 504 2016 10.1016/j.ifacol.2016.08.073
- Bóka , G.
- Mohan , G. , Assadian , F. , and Longo , S. Comparative Analysis of Forward-Facing Models vs Backward-Facing Models in Powertrain Component Sizing IET Conference Publications. 2013 10.1049/cp.2013.1920
- Guo , L. , Gao , B. , and Chen , H. On-Line Shift Schedule Optimization of 2-Speed Electric Vehicle Using Moving Horizon Strategy IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics. 21 1 1 2016 10.1109/TMECH.2016.2586503
- Petkovska , L. and Cvetkovski , G. 10.15199/48.2016.12.34