This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
FEM Substructuring for the Vibrational Characterization of a Petrol Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this work the vibrational behavior of a 4-cylinder, 4-stroke, petrol engine has been simulated by leveraging on a reduced modelling strategy, based on the Component Mode Synthesis (CMS), adopted to reduce the size of the full FEM model of the engine.
The FEM model of the engine, comprising all of its sub-components, has been preliminary characterized from the vibrational standpoint; subsequently, the CMS has been adopted in order to reduce the FEM model size.
Frequency Response Function (FRF) analyses have been used to identify the resonant frequencies and mode shapes of the different FEM models, and the so-obtained results have been compared showing a very good agreement.
The reduced model has been able to reproduce with a high accuracy the vibration response at the engine mounts. The adopted reduced modelling strategy turned out to be effective in lowering the computational burden, keeping, at the same time, an accurate replication of the engine vibrational behavior. Runtimes have been significantly reduced from 24 hours for the full FEM model to less than 2 hours for the reduced model.
CitationCitarella, R., Armentani, E., Giannella, V., Parente, A. et al., "FEM Substructuring for the Vibrational Characterization of a Petrol Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0059, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0059.
- Craig , R. Coupling of Substructures for Dynamic Analyses: An Overview AIAA Dynamic Specialists Conference Atlanta 2000
- Hurty , W. , Collins , J. , and Hart , G. Dynamic Analysis of Large Structures by Modal Synthesis Techniques Computers & Structures 1 4 535 563 1971
- Armentani , E. , Sepe , R. , Parente , A. , and Pirelli , M. Vibro-Acoustic Numerical Analysis for the Chain Cover of a Car Engine Appl. Sci. 7 610 2017
- Armentani , E. , Caputo , F. , Esposito , L. , Giannella , V. et al. Multibody Simulation for the Vibration Analysis of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine Appl. Sci. 8 1192 2018
- Siano , D. , Citarella , R. , and Armentani , E. Simulation of a Multi-Cylinder Engine Vibrational Behaviour International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration (IJVNV) 14 2 2018
- Armentani , E. , Sbarbati , F. , Perrella , M. , and Citarella , R. Dynamic Analysis of a Car Engine Valve Train System International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration (IJVNV) 12 3 2016
- Fehr , J. and Eberhard , P. Simulation Process of Flexible Multibody Systems with Non-Modal Model Order Reduction Techniques Multibody Syst Dyn 25 3 313 334 2011
- Nowakowski , C. , Kurschner , P. , Eberhard , P. , and Benner , P. Model Reduction of an Elastic Crankshaft for Elastic Multibody Simulations J Appl Math and Mech 93 4 198 216 2013
- Koutsovasilis , P. and Beitelschmidt , M. Comparison of Model Reduction Techniques for Large Mechanical Systems Multibody Syst Dyn 20 2 111 128 2008
- Witteveen , W. On the Modal and Non-Modal Model Reduction of Metallic Structures with Variable Boundary Conditions World J Mech 2 6 311 324 2012
- MSC , N. User Reference Manual Santa Ana, CA, USA MSC Software Corporation 2006
- SIEMENS-LMS Virtual Lab User Manual Plano, TX, USA SIEMENS-LMS Virtual Lab 2011
- Altair Engineering Hypermesh User Manual Troy, MI, USA Altair Engineering 2011
- BETA CAE Systems SA 2015