This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Imaging and Vibro-Acoustic Diagnostic Techniques Comparison for a GDI Fuel Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This work presents the results of an experimental investigation on a GDI injector, in order to analyze fuel injection process and atomization phenomenon, correlating imaging and vibro-acoustic diagnostic techniques.
A single-hole, axially-disposed, 0.200 mm diameter GDI injector was used to spray commercial gasoline in a test chamber at room temperature and atmospheric backpressure. The explored injection pressures were ranged from 5.0 to 20.0 MPa. Cycle-resolved acquisitions of the spray evolution were acquired by a high-speed camera.
Simultaneously, the vibro-acoustic response of the injector was evaluated. More in detail, noise data acquired by a microphone sensor were analyzed for characterizing the acoustic emission of the injection, while a spherical loudspeaker was used to excite the spray injection at a proper distance detecting possible fuel spray resonance phenomena. In order to monitor vibration throughout the injection event, the injector was also equipped with an accelerometer sensor, adhesively mounted on the holder. Tests in both dry and fuel injection conditions allowed to distinguish the pure mechanical operation of the injector related to the needle opening and closing, and the effects due to the interaction of the internal fuel flow with the mechanical components. The recorded data were then processed using digital Fourier transform and wavelet analyses, capturing essential information related to the spectral and temporal characteristics of the injection event.
In the paper, the outcomes obtained by the two different techniques are jointly analyzed and discussed, highlighting the potentiality of the vibro-acoustic approach in correctly monitoring the fuel injection process, since it is able to provide insightful details in accordance with the imaging technique.
CitationAllocca, L., Siano, D., Montanaro, A., and Panza, M., "Imaging and Vibro-Acoustic Diagnostic Techniques Comparison for a GDI Fuel Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0058, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0058.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Zhang, Y., Li, S., Zheng, B., Wu, J. et al. , “Quantitative Observation on Breakup of Superheated Liquid Jet Using Transparent Slit Nozzle,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 63:84-90, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2015.01.004.
- Kale, R. and Banerjee, R. , “Investigation of Macroscopic as Well as Microscopic Spray Behavior of Multi-Hole GDI Injector Under Engine Like Hot Injector Body Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0280, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0280.
- Parrish, S. , “Evaluation of Liquid and Vapor Penetration of Sprays from a Multi-Hole Gasoline Fuel Injector Operating Under Engine-Like Conditions,” SAE Int. J. Engines 7(2), 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1409.
- Viera, J. P., Payri, R., Swantek, A. B., Duke, D. J. et al. , “Linking Instantaneous Rate of Injection to X-Ray Needle Lift Measurements for a Direct-Acting Piezoelectric Injector,” Energy Conversion and Management 112(2016):350-358, 2016.
- Estefanous, F., Mekhael, S., Badawy, T., Henein, N. et al. , “Multisensing Fuel Injector in Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection Engines,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 136(11):111502, 2014.
- Kang, Q., Li, Y., Xie, Z., Liu, Y. et al. , “An Innovative Rail Pressure Sensor Signal Processing Algorithm to Determine the Start of Injection and End of Injection of Diesel Engines With Common Rail Injection Systems,” IEEE Access 6:64674-64687, 2018.
- Pace, J. B., Warner, V. R., and Wright, D. O. , “Method and Apparatus for Accurately Determining Opening and Closing Times for Automotive Fuel Injectors,” U.S. Patent 5,747,684, May 5, 1998.
- Lee, H. C. , “Measuring the Needle Lift and Return Timing of a CRDI Injector Using an Accelerometer,” International Journal of Engineering and Technology 6(5):2482-2487, 2014.
- Crua, C. and Heikal, M. R. , “Time-Resolved Fuel Injector Flow Characterisation Based on 3D Laser Doppler Vibrometry,” Measurement Science and Technology 25(12):125301, 2014.
- Christ, K., Back, K., Kieweler, T., Kiencke, U. et al. , “On Applying the Knock Sensor for Injector Calibration,” International Journal of Engine Research 15(5):597-605, 2014.
- Huang, Y. and Yang, V. , “Dynamics and Stability of Lean-Premixed Swirl-Stabilized Combustion,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 35(4):293-364, 2009.
- Culick, F. E. C. , “Combustion Instabilities in Liquid Fuelled Propulsion Systems-an Overview, in AGARD Conference Proceedings No. 450, Combustion Instabilities in Liquid-Fuelled Propulsion Systems: Propulsion and Energetics Panel 72nd B Specialists’ Meeting, Bath, England, Oct. 6-7, 1988.
- Ramanarayanan, B., Sujith, R. I., Chakravarthy, S. R. , “Characterization of an Acoustically Self-Excited Combustor for Spray Evaporation,”in Proceedings of the 41st Aerospace Sciences Meeting & Exhibit, Reno NV, Jan. 6-9, 2003, AIAA-2003-0502.
- Sujith, R. I., Waldherr, G. A., Jagoda, J. I., and Zinn, B. T. , “Experimental Investigation of the Evaporation of Droplets in Axial Acoustic Fields,” Journal of Propulsion and Power 16(2):278-285, 2000.
- Saito, M., Masahiro, H., and Masayuki, S. , “Enhancement of Evaporation / Combustion Rate Coefficient of a Single Fuel Droplet by Acoustic Oscillation,” Fuel 75(6):669-6674, 1996.
- Jia, X., Huang, Z., Ju, D., Huang, Z. et al. , “Effect of High Frequency Acoustic Field on Atomization Behavior of Ethanol and Kerosene,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2318, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-2318.
- Allocca, L., Montanaro, A., Di Gioia, R., and Bonandrini, G. , “Spray Characterization of a Single-Hole Gasoline Injector Under Flash Boiling Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0041, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-32-0041.
- Allocca, L., Lazzaro, M., Meccariello, G., and Montanaro, A. , “Schlieren Visualization of a GDI Spray Impacting on a Heated Wall: Non-Vaporizing and Vaporizing Evolutions,” Energy 108:93-98, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2015.09.107.
- Hung, D., Harrington, D., Gandhi, A., Markle, L. et al. , “Gasoline Fuel Injector Spray Measurement and Characterization - A New SAE J2715 Recommended Practice,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1):534-548, 2009.
- Goyal, D. and Pabla, B. S. , “Condition Based Maintenance of Machine Tools-A Review,” CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology 10:24-35, 2015.
- Siano, D. and Panza, M. A. , “Diagnostic Method by Using Vibration Analysis for Pump Fault Detection,” Energy Procedia 148:10-17, 2018.
- Siano, D. and Panza, M. A. . “Employment of an Auto Regressive Moving Average Model for On-Board Knock Detection of a Spark Ignited Engine,” in Proceedings of ISMA 2018 - International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering and USD 2018 - International Conference on Uncertainty in Structural Dynamics, 2018, 785-794.
- Siano, D., Bozza, F., D'Agostino, D., and Panza, M. A. , “The Use of Vibrational Signals for On-Board Knock Diagnostics Supported by In-Cylinder Pressure Analyses,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0063, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-32-0063.
- Norton, M. P. and Karczub, D. G. , Fundamentals of Noise and Vibration Analysis for Engineers (Cambridge University Press, 2003).
- Brandt, A. , Noise and Vibration Analysis: Signal Analysis and Experimental Procedures (John Wiley & Sons, 2011).
- Newland, D. E. , An Introduction to Random Vibrations, Spectral & Wavelet Analysis (Courier Corporation, 2012).