This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Biogenous Ethanol: CO2 Savings and Operation in a Dual-Fuel Designed Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 9, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The usage of ethanol and two different mixtures of ethanol and gasoline (E85 and E65) wаs investigated on a modified diesel engine designed to work in a dual-fuel combustion mode with intake manifold alcohol injection. The maximum ratio of alcohol to diesel fuel was limited by irregular combustion phenomena like degrading combustion quality and poor process controllability at low load and knock as well as auto-ignition at high load. With rising alcohol amount, a significant reduction of soot mass and particle number was observed. At some testing points, substituting diesel with ethanol, E65 or E85 led to a reduction of NOx emissions; however, the real benefit concerning the nitrogen oxides was introduced by the mitigation of the soot-NOx trade-off. The indicated engine efficiency in dual-fuel mode showed an extended tolerance against high EGR rates. It was significantly improved with enhanced substitution ratios at high loads, whereas it dropped at low loads. A simulation model was built for the test engine and selected operation points of the engine test bed measurements were implemented into the model in order to generate an efficiency loss analysis. The discussion of the simulation results allowed a better understanding of the findings of the engine test stand experiments. Substituting diesel with intake manifold injected alcoholic fuels impressively lowered the engine CO2 emissions at medium and high loads. A case study of the bioethanol production by the Austrian bioethanol producer AGRANA demonstrated the high ability of bioethanol to reduce the holistic well-to-wheel CO2 emissions of the dual-fuel powered diesel engine.
CitationDamyanov, A. and Hofmann, P., "Biogenous Ethanol: CO2 Savings and Operation in a Dual-Fuel Designed Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0040, 2019.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Eurostat, “Greenhouse Gas Emission Statistics - Emission Inventories,” http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Greenhouse_gas_emission_statistics, accessed Nov. 2018.
- Iverfeldt, E., Stalhammar, P., Sarby, H., Ihrfors, C. et al. , “Sustainable Transportation by Using Ethanol in Diesel Engines,” in Proceedings of the 36th International Vienna Motor Symposium (1):290-307, 7-8 May 2015, ISBN 978-3-18-378312-0.
- Karim, G. A. , Dual-Fuel Diesel Engines (CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group, 2015). ISBN:978-1-4987-0308-6.
- Sprenger, F., Fasching, P., and Eichlseder, H. , “Erdgas-Diesel Dual-Direct-Injection - Ein alternatives Brennverfahren zur signifikanten CO2-Reduzierung,” Tschöke H., Marohn R. (eds); in Proceedings of the 10. Tagung Diesel- und Benzindirekteinspritzung 2016, November 24-25, 2016, Berlin, doi:10.1007/978-3-658-15327-4_22.
- Lee, J., Chu, S., Kang, J., Min, K. et al. , “Operating Strategy for Gasoline/Diesel Dual-Fuel Premixed Compression Ignition in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 18(6):943-950, December 2017, doi:10.1007/s12239-017-0092-7.
- Damyanov, A., Hofmann, P., Derntl, M., Schüßler, M. et al. , “Regenerative Oxygen-Containing Diesel Substitute Fuels as an Ecological Option for Increasing Efficiency and Minimizing Emissions,” In: Schubert N., editor. Proceedings of the 11th International Colloquium Fuels. (Germany, Ostfildern, June 2017), 315, 27-331, 29. ISBN:978-3-943563-32-0.
- Lau, C. S. , Biogas Upgrade through Exhaust Gas Reforming Process for Use in CI Engines (Dissertation: University of Birmingham, 2012).
- Theinnoi, K., Suksompong, P., Temwutthikun, W. , “Engine Performance of Dual Fuel Operation with In-Cylinder Injected Diesel Fuels and In-Port Injected DME,” in 9th International Conference on Applied Energy, ICAE2017, August 21-24, 2017, Cardiff, UK, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2017.12.072.
- Diesel, R. , “Method of Igniting and Regulating Combustion for Internal Combustion Engines,” US Patent 673,160, April 1901
- Zhang, Z. H., Tsang, K. S., Cheung, C. S., Chan, T. L., and Yao, C. D. , “Effect of Fumigation Methanol and Ethanol on the Gaseous and Particulate Emissions of a Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” Atmospheric Environment 45(11):2001-2008, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2010.12.019.
- Ogawa, H., Shibata, G., Kato, T., and Zhao, P. , “Dual Fuel Diesel Combustion with Premixed Ethanol as the Main Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2687, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2687.
- Heuser, B., Kremer, F., and Pischinger, S. , “An Experimental Investigation of Dual-Fuel Combustion in a Light Duty Diesel Engine by In-Cylinder Blending of Ethanol and Diesel,” SAE Int. J. Engines 9(1):11-25, 2016, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1801.
- Imran, A., Varman, M., Masjuki, H. H., and Kalam, M. A. , “Review on Alcohol Fumigation on Diesel Engine: A Viable Alternative Dual-Fuel Technology for Satisfactory Engine Performance and Reduction of Environment Concerning Emission,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 26:739-751, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2013.05.070.
- Cheung, C. S., Cheng, C., Chan, T. L., and Lee, S. C. , “Emissions Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel and Fumigation Methanol,” Energy & Fuels 22(2):906-914, February 2008, doi:10.1021/ef7003915.
- Jiang, Q., Ottikkutti, P., VanGerpen, J., and VanMeter, D. , “The Effect of Alcohol Fumigation on Diesel Flame Temperature and Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 900386, 1990, doi:10.4271/900386.
- Padala, S., Woo, C., Kook, S., and Hawkes, E. , “Ethanol Utilisation in a Diesel Engine Using Dual-Fuelling Technology,” Fuel 109:597-607, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2013.03.049.
- Abu-Quadis, M., Haddad, O., and Qudaisat, M. , “The Effect of Alcohol Fumigation on Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions,” Energy Conversion & Management, March 41(4):389-399, 2000, doi:10.1016/S0196-8904(99)00099-0.
- Cheng, C. H., Cheung, C. S., Chan, T. L., Lee, S. C., and Yao, C. D. , “Experimental Investigation on the Performance, Gaseous and Particulate Emissions of a Methanol Fumigated Diesel Engine,” Science of the Total Environment 389(1):115-124, January 2008, doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2007.08.041.
- Zhang, Z. H., Cheung, C. S., Chan, T. L., and Yao, C. D. , “Emission Reduction from Diesel Engine Using Fumigation Methanol and Diesel Oxidation Catalyst,” Science of the Total Environment 407(15):4497-4505, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2009.04.036.
- Baffes, J. and Dennis A. , “Long-Term Drivers of Food Prices,” Policy Research Working Paper 6455, The World Bank, May 2013.
- Eurostat, “Primary Production of Renewable Energy by Type,” https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/products-datasets/-/ten00081, accessed Nov. 2018.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) , “World Food Situation,” 2017, http://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituation/foodpricesindex/en/.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) , “Impacts of Bioenergy on Food Security; Guidance for Assessment and Response at National and Project Levels,” Environment and Natural Resources Working Paper No. 52, Rome, 2012, ISBN 978-92-5-107151-9.
- Kline, K. L., Msangi, S., Dale, V., Woods, J. et al. , “Reconciling Food Security and Bioenergy: Priorities for Action,” GCB Bioenergy 9(3):557-576, 2016, doi:10.1111/gcbb.12366.
- International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) , “Global Energy Transformation: A Roadmap to 2050,” Abu Dhabi, 2018, ISBN 978-92-9260-059-4.
- International Energy Agency (IRENA) , “Market Report Series: Renewables 2018. Analysis and Forecasts to 2023,” Oct. 2018, ISBN PDF 978-92-64-30684-4.
- United Nations Climate Change , “Ethanol Producers Work with UN to Accelerate Shift to Low Carbon,” UN Climate Press Release, Oct. 18, 2018, https://unfccc.int/news/ethanol-producers-work-with-un-to-accelerate-shift-to-low-carbon.
- Directive 2009/28/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 April 2009 on the Promotion of the Use of Energy from Renewable Sources and Amending and Subsequently Repealing Directives 2001/77/EC and 2003/30/EC. Available from: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/.
- Directive (EU) 2018/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 December 2018 on the Promotion of the Use of Energy from Renewable Sources (Recast). Available from: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/.
- Vassallo, A., Beatrice, C., Di Blasio, G., Belgiorno, G. et al. , “The Key Role of Advanced, Flexible Fuel Injection Systems to Match the Future CO2 Targets in an Ultra-Light Mid-Size Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-37-0005, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-37-0005.
- Gargiulo, V., Alfe, M., Blasio, G. D., and Beatrice, C. , “Chemico-Physical Features of Soot Emitted from a Dual-Fuel Ethanol-Diesel System,” Fuel 150:154-161, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2015.01.096.
- Glaude, P. A., Fournet, R., Bounaceur, R., and Moliere, M. , “Adiabatic Flame Temperature from Biofuels and Fossil Fuels and Derived Effect on NOx Emissions,” Fuel Processing Technology 91(2):229-235, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.fuproc.2009.10.002.