This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Droplet Behaviors on Fuel Adhesion of Flat Wall Impinging Spray Injected by a DISI Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Owing to the short impingement distance and high injection pressure, it is difficult to avoid the fuel spray impingement on the combustion cylinder wall and piston head in Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) engine, which is a possible source of hydrocarbons and soot emission. For better understanding of the mechanisms behind the spray-wall impingement, the fuel spray and adhesion on a flat wall using a mini-sac injector with a single-hole was examined. The microscopic characteristics of impinging spray were investigated through Particle Image Analysis (PIA). The droplet size and velocity were compared before impingement. The adhered fuel on the wall was measured by Refractive Index Matching (RIM). The fuel adhesion mass and area were discussed. Moreover, the relationships between droplets behaviors and fuel adhesion on the wall were discussed. The droplets impingement models were compared in order to find the key factor which dominates the fuel adhesion during the spray-wall interaction. Results show that only one dry wall model of droplet impingement can separate the spray-wall impinging behaviors. However, the wet wall impingement models work well for the spray-wall impinging behaviors.
CitationLuo, H., Ogata, Y., and Nishida, K., "Effects of Droplet Behaviors on Fuel Adhesion of Flat Wall Impinging Spray Injected by a DISI Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0034, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0034.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Ma, T., Feng, L., Wang, H., Liu, H. et al. , “A Numerical Study of Spray/Wall Impingement Based on Droplet Impact Phenomenon,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 112:401-412, 2017.
- Han, Z. and Xu, Z. , “Wall Film Dynamics Modeling for Impinging Sprays in Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0099, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-0099.
- Zhao, F., Lai, M. C., and Harrington, D. L. , “Automotive Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 25(5):437-562, 1999.
- He, X., Li, Y., Sjöberg, M., Vuilleumier, D. et al. , “Impact of Coolant Temperature on Piston Wall-Wetting and Smoke Generation in a Stratified-Charge DISI Engine Operated on E30 Fuel,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 37(4):4955-4963, 2019.
- Kalantari, D. and Tropea, C. , “Spray Impact Onto Flat and Rigid Walls: Empirical Characterization and Modelling,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 33(5):525-544, 2007.
- Moreira, A. L. N., Moita, A. S., and Panao, M. R. , “Advances and Challenges in Explaining Fuel Spray Impingement: How Much of Single Droplet Impact Research is Useful?” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 36(5):554-580, 2010.
- Mundo, C. H. R., Sommerfeld, M., and Tropea, C. , “On the Modeling of Liquid Sprays Impinging on Surfaces,” Atomization and Sprays 8(6):625-652, 1998.
- Bai, C. X., Rusche, H., and Gosman, A. D. , “Modeling of Gasoline Spray Impingement,” Atomization and Sprays 12(1-3):1-28, 2002.
- Han, Z., Xu, Z., and Trigui, N. , “Spray/Wall Interaction Models for Multidimensional Engine Simulation,” International Journal of Engine Research 1(1):127-146, 2000.
- Vander Wal, R. L., Berger, G. M., and Mozes, S. D. , “The Splash/Non-Splash Boundary Upon a Dry Surface and Thin Fluid Film,” Experiments in Fluids 40(1):53-59, 2006.
- Vander Wal, R. L., Berger, G. M., and Mozes, S. D. , “Droplets Splashing Upon Films of the Same Fluid of Various Depths,” Experiments in Fluids 40(1):33-52, 2006.
- Walzel, P. , “Zeteilgrenze Beim Tropfenprall,” Chem.-Ing.-Tech 52(4):321-326, 1980.
- Yarin, A. L. and Weiss, D. A. , “Impact of Drops on Solid Surfaces: Self-Similar Capillary Waves, and Splashing as a New Type of Kinematic Discontinuity,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics 283:141-173, 1995.
- Cossali, G. E., Coghe, A., and Marengo, M. , “The Impact of a Single Drop on a Wetted Solid Surface,” Experiments in Fluids 22(6):463-472, 1997.
- Rioboo, R., Bauthier, C., Conti, J., Voue, M. et al. , “Experimental Investigation of Splash and Crown Formation During Single Drop Impact on Wetted Surfaces,” Experiments in Fluids 35(6):648-652, 2003.
- Luo, H., Uchitomi, S., Nishida, K., Ogata, Y. et al. , “Experimental Investigation on Fuel Film Formation by Spray Impingement on Flat Walls with Different Surface Roughness,” Atomization and Sprays 27(7):611-628, 2017.
- Luo, H., Nishida, K., Uchitomi, S., Ogata, Y., et al. , “Effect of Spray Impingement Distance on Piston Top Fuel Adhesion in Direct Injection Gasoline Engines,” International Journal of Engine Research 2018, online first:1468087418774175.
- Luo, H., Nishida, K., Uchitomi, S., Ogata, Y. et al. , “Effect of Temperature on Fuel Adhesion Under Spray-Wall Impingement Condition,” Fuel 234:56-65, 2018.
- Luo, H., Nishida, K., Ogata, Y., Zhang, W. et al. , “Fuel Adhesion Characteristics Under Non-Evaporation and Evaporation Conditions: Part 1-Effect of Injection Pressure,” Fuel 240:317-325, 2019.
- Luo, H., Nishida, K., Uchitomi, S., Ogata, Y. et al. , “Microscopic Behavior of Spray Droplets Under Flat-Wall Impinging Condition,” Fuel 219:467-476, 2018.
- Drake, M. C., Fansler, T. D., Solomon, A. S. et al. , “Piston Fuel Films as a Source of Smoke and Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Wall-Controlled Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0547, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0547.
- Drake, M. C. and Haworth, D. C. , “Advanced Gasoline Engine Development Using Optical Diagnostics and Numerical Modeling,” Proc Combust Inst 31(1):99-124, 2007.
- Yang, B. and Ghandhi, J. , “Measurement of Diesel Spray Impingement and Fuel Film Characteristics Using Refractive Index Matching Method,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0485, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0485.
- Maligne, D. and Bruneaux, G. , “Time-Resolved Fuel Film Thickness Measurement for Direct Injection SI Engines Using Refractive Index Matching,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1215, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1215.
- Berg T., Deppe J., Michaelis D., Voges H., et al. , “Comparison of Particle Size and Velocity Investigations in Sprays Carried Out by Means of Different Measurement Techniques,” in ICLASS’06, Kyoto, Japan, 2006.
- Kashdan, J. T., Shrimpton, J. S., and Whybrew, A. , “A Digital Image Analysis Technique for Quantitative Characterisation of High-Speed Sprays,” Opt Laser Eng 45(1):106-115, 2007.