This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impact of Cooled EGR on Performance and Emissions of a Turbocharged Spark-Ignition Engine under Low-Full Load Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The stringent worldwide exhaust emission legislations for CO2 and pollutants require significant efforts to increase both the combustion efficiency and the emission quality of internal combustion engines. With this aim, several solutions are continuously developed to improve the combustion efficiency of spark ignition engines. Among the various solutions, EGR represents a well-established technology to improve the gasoline engine performance and the nitrogen-oxides emissions.
This work presents the results of an experimental investigation on the effects of the EGR technique on combustion evolution, knock tendency, performance and emissions of a small-size turbocharged PFI SI engine, equipped with an external cooled EGR system.
Measurements are carried out at different engine speeds, on a wide range of loads and EGR levels. The standard engine calibration is applied at the reference test conditions. Then, the exhaust gas is recirculated and the load is controlled by adjusting the intake pressure, the injection and the spark timing.
The main results show a significant reduction in specific fuel consumption at low load due to the lower pumping losses when EGR is active, independent on the engine speed. At high load, a lower improvement in fuel economy has been found, mainly due to a slight reduction in the knock tendency. EGR results in a reduction in NO emission at each engine speed and load, with penalties in HC emission.
CitationMarchitto, L., Tornatore, C., Valentino, G., and Teodosio, L., "Impact of Cooled EGR on Performance and Emissions of a Turbocharged Spark-Ignition Engine under Low-Full Load Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0021, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0021.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Boretti , A. The Future of the Internal Combustion Engine after “Diesel-Gate” SAE Technical Paper 2017-28-1933 2017 10.4271/2017-28-1933
- Teodosio , L. , De Bellis , V. , Bozza , F. , and Tufano , D. Numerical Study of the Potential of a Variable Compression Ratio Concept Applied to a Downsized Turbocharged VVA Spark Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0015 2017 10.4271/2017-24-0015
- Sellnau , M. , Kunz , T. , Sinnamon , J. , and Burkhard , J. 2-Step Variable Valve Actuation: System Optimization and Integration on an SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0040 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0040
- Bozza , F. , De Bellis , V. , and Teodosio , L. A Numerical Procedure for the Calibration of a Turbocharged Spark-Ignition Variable Valve Actuation Engine at Part Load International Journal of Engine Research 18 8 810 823 2017 10.1177/1468087416674653
- Zhen , X. , Wang , Y. , Xu , S. , Zhu , Y. et al. The Engine Knock Analysis-An Overview Applied Energy 92 628 636 2012 10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.11.079
- Marchitto , L. , Tornatore , C. , Costagliola , M. A. , and Valentino , G. Impact of Ethanol-Gasoline Port Injected on Performance and Exhaust Emissions of a Turbocharged SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0914 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0914
- Waters , P. F. A Physical Solution to Engine Knock SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2835 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2835
- Marchitto , L. , Tornatore , C. , Costagliola , M. A. , Iacobacci , A. , and Valentino , G. Effect of Water Injection on Fuel Efficiency and Gaseous and PN Emissions in a Downsized Turbocharged SI Engine Journal of Energy Engineering 144 4 04018044 2018 10.1061/(ASCE)EY.1943-7897.0000559
- Hoppe , F. , Thewes , M. , Baumgarten , H. , and Dohmen , J. Water Injection for Gasoline Engines: Potentials, Challenges, and Solutions International Journal of Engine Research 17 1 86 96 2016 10.1177/1468087415599867
- Szybist , J. , Wagnon , S. , Splitter , D. , Pitz , W. et al. The Reduced Effectiveness of EGR to Mitigate Knock at High Loads in Boosted SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 10 5 2017 10.4271/2017-24-0061
- Caton , J. A Comparison of Lean Operation and Exhaust Gas Recirculation: Thermodynamic Reasons for the Increases of Efficiency SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0266 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0266
- Wei , H. , Zhu , T. , Shu , G. , Tan , L. , and Wang , Y. Gasoline Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation - A Review Applied Energy 99 534 544 2012 10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.05.011
- Parsons , D. , Akehurst , S. , and Brace , C. The Potential of Catalysed Exhaust Gas Recirculation to Improve High-Load Operation in Spark Ignition Engines International Journal of Engine Research 16 4 592 605 2015 10.1177/1468087414554628
- Alger , T. , Mangold , B. , Roberts , C. , and Gingrich , J. The Interaction of Fuel Anti-Knock Index and Cooled EGR on Engine Performance and Efficiency SAE Int. J. Engines. 5 3 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1149
- Cairns , A. , Fraser , N. , and Blaxill , H. Pre Versus Post Compressor Supply of Cooled EGR for Full Load Fuel Economy in Turbocharged Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0425 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0425
- Fontana , G. and Galloni , E. Experimental Analysis of a Spark-Ignition Engine Using Exhaust Gas Recycle at WOT Operation Appl Energy 87 2187 2193 2010
- Splitter , D. A. and Szybist , J. P. Experimental Investigation of Spark Ignited Combustion with High-Octane Biofuels and EGR. 2. Fuel and EGR Effects on Knock-Limited Load and Speed Energy & Fuels 28 2 2014 February 10.1021/ef401575e
- Bozza , F. , De Bellis , V. , Teodosio , L. , and Gimelli , A. Numerical Analysis of the Transient Operation of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine Including the Compressor Surge Proc. of the Inst. of Mech. Eng., Part D, J. of Automobile Engineering 227 11 1503 1517 2013 10.1177/0954407013501668
- De Bellis , V. , Teodosio , L. , Siano , D. , Minarelli , F. et al. Knock and Cycle by Cycle Analysis of a High Performance V12 Spark Ignition Engine. Part 1: Experimental Data and Correlations Assessment SAE Int. J. Engines 8 5 2015 10.4271/2015-24-2392
- Ghazikhani , M. , Feyz , M. E. , and Joharchi , A. Experimental Investigation of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Effects on Irreversibility and Brake Specific Fuel Consumption of Indirect Injection Diesel Engines Applied Thermal Engineering 30 13 1711 1718 2010 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2010.03.030
- Bozza , F. , De Bellis , V. , Teodosio , L. , Tufano , D. , and Malfi , E. Techniques for CO 2 Emission Reduction over a WLTC. A Numerical Comparison of Increased Compression Ratio, Cooled EGR and Water Injection SAE Technical Paper 2018-37-0008 2018 10.4271/2018-37-0008