This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Investigation of the Effects of Gas’ Methane Number on the Performance of a Heavy-Duty Natural-Gas Spark-Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 9, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Natural gas (NG) is an alternative fuel for spark-ignition engines. In addition to its cleaner combustion, recent breakthroughs in drilling technologies increased its availability and lowered its cost. NG consists of mostly methane, but it also contains heavier hydrocarbons and inert diluents, the levels of which vary substantially with geographical source, time of the year and treatments applied during production or transportation. To investigate the effects of NG composition on engine performance and emissions, a 3D CFD model of a heavy-duty diesel engine retrofitted to NG spark ignition simulated lean-combustion engine operation at low speed and medium load conditions. The work investigated three NG blends with similar lower heating value (i.e., similar energy density) but different Methane Number (MN). The results indicated that a lower MN increased flame propagation speed and thus increased in-cylinder pressure and indicated mean effective pressure. In addition, a low MN increased the thermal efficiency despite the higher heat transfer to the surroundings. Also, a higher MN reduced the nitrogen-oxides emissions but increased unburned hydrocarbons (UHC) emissions. Moreover, while UHC emissions had a similar H/C ratio as the NG, there was no correlation between the carbon monoxide emissions and the fuel H/C ratio.
CitationAmbrogi, L., Liu, J., Battistoni, M., Dumitrescu, C. et al., "CFD Investigation of the Effects of Gas’ Methane Number on the Performance of a Heavy-Duty Natural-Gas Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0008, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0008.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C. E. , “Emissions Formation in a Heavy-Duty Compression-Ignited Engine Converted to Natural Gas Spark-Ignited Operation,” in 11th U. S. National Combustion Meeting of the Combustion Institute, Pasadena, CA, March 24-27, 2019.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C. E. , “Combustion Visualization in a Single-Cylinder Heavy-Duty CI Engine Converted to Natural Gas SI Operation,” in Spring Technical Meeting of the Eastern States Section of the Combustion Institute, State College, PA, March 04-07, 2018.
- Engerer, H. and Horn, M. , “Natural Gas Vehicles: An Option for Europe,” Energy Policy 38:1017-1029, 2010.
- Yeh, S. , “An Empirical Analysis on the Adoption of Alternative Fuel Vehicles: The Case of Natural Gas Vehicles,” Energy Policy 35:5865-5875, 2007.
- Langness, C. and Depcik, C. , “Statistical Analyses of CNG Constituents on Dual-Fuel Compression Ignition Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0802, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0802.
- Mongelli, G. F. , “Challenges and Opportunities of Shale Gas Extraction Via Hydraulic Fracturing,” Research & Reviews: Journal of Material Sciences 6:117-133, 2018.
- Bommisetty, H. K., Liu, J., Kooragayala, R., and Dumitrescu, C. E. , “Fuel Composition Effects in a CI Engine Converted to SI Natural Gas Operation,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1137, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1137.
- Jahirul, M. I., Masjuki, H. H., Saidur, R., Kalam, M. A. et al. , “Comparative Engine Performance and Emission Analysis of CNG and Gasoline in a Retrofitted Car Engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering 30:2219-2226, 2010.
- Weaver, C. S. , “Natural Gas Vehicle - A Review of the State of the Art,” SAE Technical Paper 892133, 1989, doi:10.4271/892133.
- Dumitrescu, C. E., Padmanaban, V., and Liu, J. , “An Experimental Investigation of Early Flame Development in an Optical SI Engine Fueled with Natural Gas,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 140:082802, 2018.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C. E. , “Numerical Investigation of Methane-Number and Wobbe-Index Effects in Lean-Burn Natural-Gas Spark-Ignition Combustion,” Energy & Fuels 33:4564-4574, 2019.
- Li, L., Gong, Y., Deng, J., and Gong, X. , “Reduction Request and Future High-Efficiency Zero-Emission Argon Power Cycle Engine,” Automotive Innovation 1:43-53, 2018.
- Hagos, D. A. and Ahlgren, E. , “A State-of-the Art Review on the Development of CNG/LNG Infrastructure and Natural Gas Vehicles (NGVs),” Chalmers University of Technology, 2017.
- Gupta, M., Bell, S. R., and Tillman, S. T. , “An Investigation of Lean Combustion in a Natural Gas-Fueled Spark-Ignited Engine,” Journal of Energy Resources Technology 118:145-151, 1996.
- Karim, G. A. and Wierzba, I. , “Experimental and Analytical Studies of the Lean Operational Limits in Methane Fuelled Spark Ignition and Compression Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 891637, 1989, doi:10.4271/891637.
- Liu, J., Bommisetty, H. K., and Dumitrescu, C. E. , “Experimental Investigation of a Heavy-Duty Compression-Ignition Engine Retrofitted to Natural Gas Spark-Ignition Operation,” Journal of Energy Resources Technology 141:112207, 2019.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C. E. , “Lean-Burn Characteristics of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Retrofitted to Natural-Gas Spark Ignition,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 141:071013, 2019.
- Heywood, J. B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, 1988.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C. , “Experimental Investigation of Natural Gas Lean-Burn Spark Ignition Combustion inside a Bowl-in-Piston Geometry,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0559, 2019, doi:10.4271/2019-01-0559.
- McTaggart-Cowan, G. P., Rogak, S. N., Munshi, S. R., Hill, P. G., and Bushe, W. K. , “The Influence of Fuel Composition on a Heavy-Duty, Natural-Gas Direct-Injection Engine,” Fuel 89:752-759, 2010.
- Ryan, T. W., Callahan, T. J., and King, S. R. , “Engine Knock Rating of Natural Gases - Methane Number,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 115:769-776, 1993.
- Kubesh, J., King, S. R., and Liss, W. E. , “Effect of Gas Composition on Octane Number of Natural Gas Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 922359, 1992, doi:10.4271/922359.
- Klimstra, J. , “Interchangeability of Gaseous Fuels - the Importance of the Wobbe-Index,” SAE Technical Paper 861578, 1986, doi:10.4271/861578.
- Naber, J. D., Siebers, D. L., Di Julio, S. S., and Westbrook, C. K. , “Effects of Natural Gas Composition on Ignition Delay under Diesel Conditions,” Combustion and Flame 99:192-200, 1994.
- Amirante, R., Distaso, E., Di Iorio, S., Sementa, P. et al. , “Effects of Natural Gas Composition on Performance and Regulated, Greenhouse Gas and Particulate Emissions in Spark-Ignition Engines,” Energy Conversion and Management 143:338-347, 2017.
- Yossefi, D., Belmont, M. R., Ashcroft, S. J., and Maskell, S. J. , “A Comparison of the Relative Effects of Fuel Composition and Ignition Energy on the Early Stages of Combustion in a Natural Gas Spark Ignition Engine Using Simulation,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 214:383-393, 2000.
- Vavra, J., Takats, M., Klir, V., and Skarohlid, M. , “Influence of Natural Gas Composition on Turbocharged Stoichiometric SI Engine Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1647, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1647.
- Khalil, E. B. and Karim, G. A. , “A Kinetic Investigation of the Role of Changes in the Composition of Natural Gas in Engine Applications,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 124:404-411, 2002.
- Hiltner, J., Agama, R., Mauss, F., Johansson, B., and Christensen, M. , “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Operation with Natural Gas: Fuel Composition Implications,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 125:837-844, 2003.
- Min, B. H., Bang, K. H., Kim, H. Y., Chung, J. T., and Park, S. , “Effects of Gas Composition on the Performance and Hydrocarbon Emissions for CNG Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 981918, 1998, doi:10.4271/981918.
- Feist, M. D., Landau, M., and Harte, E. , “The Effect of Fuel Composition on Performance and Emissions of a Variety of Natural Gas Engines,” SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 3:100-117, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1476.
- Kramer, U., Lorenz, T., Hofmann, C., Ruhland, H. et al. , “Methane Number Effect on the Efficiency of a Downsized, Dedicated, High Performance Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0776, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0776.
- Liu J. , “Investigation of Combustion Characteristics of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Retrofitted to Natural Gas Spark Ignition Operation,” Ph.D. dissertation, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, 2018.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C. E. , “Flame Development Analysis in a Diesel Optical Engine Converted to Spark Ignition Natural Gas Operation,” Applied Energy 230:1205-1217, 2018.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C. E. , “Optical Analysis of Flame Inception and Propagation in a Lean-Burn Natural-Gas Spark-Ignition Engine with a Bowl-in-Piston Geometry,” International Journal of Engine Research 1468087418822852, 2019.
- Han, Z. and Reitz, R. D. , “Turbulence Modeling of Internal Combustion Engines Using RNG κ-ε Models,” Combustion Science and Technology 106:267-295, 1995.
- Yakhot, V. and Orszag, S. A. , “Renormalization Group Analysis of Turbulence. I. Basic Theory,” Journal of Scientific Computing 1:3-51, 1986.
- Peters, N. , Turbulent Combustion (Cambridge University Press, 2000).
- Liang, L. and Reitz, R. D. , “Spark Ignition Engine Combustion Modeling Using a Level Set Method with Detailed Chemistry,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0243, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0243.
- Tan, Z. and Reitz, R. D. , “An Ignition and Combustion Model Based on the Level-Set Method for Spark Ignition Engine Multidimensional Modeling,” Combustion and Flame 145:1-15, 2006.
- Fan, L., Li, G., Han, Z., and Reitz, R. D. , “Modeling Fuel Preparation and Stratified Combustion in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0175, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0175.
- ANSYS Forte 17.2, ANSYS: San Diego, 2016.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C. E. , “3D CFD Simulation of a CI Engine Converted to SI Natural Gas Operation Using the G-Equation,” Fuel 232:833-844, 2018.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C. , “CFD Simulation of Metal and Optical Configuration of a Heavy-Duty CI Engine Converted to SI Natural Gas. Part 1: Combustion Behavior,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0002, 2019, doi:10.4271/2019-01-0002.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C. , “CFD Simulation of Metal and Optical Configuration of a Heavy-Duty CI Engine Converted to SI Natural Gas. Part 2: In-Cylinder Flow and Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0003, 2019, doi:10.4271/2019-01-0003.