This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Validation of a Control-Oriented Analytic Engine Simulator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Due to the recent anti-pollution policies, the performance increase in Spark Ignition (SI) engines is currently under the focus of automotive manufacturers. This trend drives control systems designers to investigate accurate solutions and build more sophisticated algorithms to increase the efficiency of this kind of engines.
The development of a control strategy is composed of several phases and steps, and the first part of such process is typically spent in defining and investigating the logic of the strategy. During this phase it is often useful to have a light engine simulator, which allows to have robust synthetic combustion data with a low calibration and computational effort.
In the first part of this paper, a description of the control-oriented ANalytical Engine SIMulator (ANESIM) is carried out. The latest results about the zero-dimensional knock model presented in a previous paper and some interesting analytical equations which define the main mean-combustion indexes trends (for example maximum in-cylinder pressure, or Pmax, 50 percent fuel mass fraction burned angle, or MFB50, Indicated Mean Effective Pressure, or IMEP) as functions of engine speed and load are analyzed for the entire engine operating range. A detailed sensitivity analysis to the fitting order is presented and the final formulas are showed and used for the calibration.
The second part focuses on the model implementation in a Simulink environment and the resulting validation process of the analytic simulator carried out on a Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Turbo Charged (TC) engine. ANESIM performance is then tested by comparing the calculated and the experimental data, for both steady state and transient operating conditions.
CitationBrusa, A., Cavina, N., Rojo, N., Cucchi, M. et al., "Development and Validation of a Control-Oriented Analytic Engine Simulator," SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0002, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0002.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
- Wenig , M. , Grill , M. , and Bargende , M. A New Approach for Modeling Cycle-to-Cycle Variations within the Framework of a Real Working-Process Simulation SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 1099 1115 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1315
- Cavina , N. , Brusa , A. , Rojo , N. , and Corti , E. Statistical Analysis of Knock Intensity Probability Distribution and Development of 0-D Predictive Knock Model for a SI TC Engine SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0858 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0858
- Verma , I. , Bish , E. , Kuntz , M. , Meeks , E. et al. CFD Modeling of Spark Ignited Gasoline Engines- Part 1: Modeling the Engine under Motored and Premixed-Charge Combustion Mode SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0591 2016 10.4271/2016-01- 0591
- Verma , I. , Bish , E. , Kuntz , M. , Meeks , E. et al. CFD Modeling of Spark Ignited Gasoline Engines- Part 2: Modeling the Engine in Direct Injection Mode along with Spray Validation SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0579 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0579
- Chiodi , M. , Berner , H. , and Bargende , M. Investigation on Mixture Formation and Combustion Process in a CNG-Engine by Using a Fast Response 3D-CFD-Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3004 2004 10.4271/2004-01-3004
- Pal , P. , Kolodziej , C. P. , Choi , S. , Som , S. et al. Development of a Virtual CFR Engine Model for Knocking Combustion Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0187 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0187
- Netzer , C. , Franken , T. , Seidel , L. , Lehtiniemi , H. et al. Numerical Analysis of the Impact of Water Injection on Combustion and Thermodynamics in a Gasoline Engine using Detailed Chemistry SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0200 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0200
- Wang , Z. , Wang , J. , Shuai , S. , and Zhang , F. Numerical Simulation of HCCI Engine with Multi-Stage Gasoline Direct Injection Using 3D-CFD With Detailed Chemistry SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0563 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0563
- Choi , S. , Kolodziej , C. P. , Hoth , A. , and Wallner , T. Development and Validation of a Three Pressure Analysis (TPA) GT-Power Model of the CFR F1/F2 Engine for Estimating Cylinder Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0848 2018 10.4271/2018-01-0848
- Udo , G. and Bergende , M. Direct Coupled 1D/3D-CFD-Computation (GT-Power/Star-CD) of the Flow in the Switch-Over Intake System of an 8-Cylinder SI Engine with External Exhaust Gas Recirculation SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0901 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0901
- Millo , F. , Di Lorenzo , G. , Servetto , E. , Capra , A. et al. Analysis of the Performance of a Turbocharged S.I. Engine under Transient Operating Conditions by Means of Fast Running Models SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1115
- Wu , H. and Li , M. A Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) Bench Test of a GT-Power Fast Running Model for Rapid Control Prototyping (RCP) Verification SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0549 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0549
- Trindade , W. and Santos , R. Combustion Modeling Applied to Engines Using a 1D Simulation Code SAE Technical Paper 2016-36-0347 2016 10.4271/2016-36-0347
- Bozza , F. , Fontana , G. , Galloni , E. , and Torella , E. 3D-1D Analyses of the Turbulent Flow Field, Burning Speed and Knock Occurrence in a Turbocharged SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0029 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0029
- Cavina , N. , Rojo , N. , Businaro , A. , Brusa , A. et al. Investigation of Water Injection Effects on Combustion Characteristics of a GDI TC Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 10 4 2017 10.4271/2017-24-0052
- Lee , S.-Y. , Andert , J. , Pischinger , S. , Ehrly , M. et al. Scalable Mean Value Modeling for Real-Time Engine Simulations with Improved Consistency and Adaptability SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0195 2019 10.4271/2019-01-0195
- Pasternak , M. , Mauss , F. , Xavier , F. , Rieß , M. et al. 0D/3D Simulations of Combustion in Gasoline Engines Operated with Multiple Spark Plug Technology SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1243 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1243
- Demesoukas , S. , Caillol , C. , Higelin , P. , and Boiarciuc , A. Zero-Dimensional Spark Ignition Combustion Modeling - A Comparison of Different Approaches SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0022 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0022
- Boiarciuc , A. and Floch , A. Evaluation of a 0D Phenomenological SI Combustion Model SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1894 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1894
- Ravaglioli , V. , Moro , D. , Serra , G. , and Ponti , F. MFB50 on-Board Evaluation Based on a Zero-Dimensional ROHR Model SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1420 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1420
- Cavina , N. , Migliore , F. , Carmignani , L. , and Di Palma , S. Development of a Control-Oriented Engine Model Including Wave Action Effects SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0107 2009 10.4271/2009-24-0107
- Bozza , F. , Fontana , G. , Galloni , E. , and Torella , E. Evaluation of a 0D Phenomenological SI Combustion Model SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1894 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1894
- Dekraker , P. , Barba , D. , Moskalik , A. , and Butters , K. Constructing Engine Maps for Full Vehicle Simulation Modeling SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1412 2018 10.4271/2018-01-1412
- Finesso , R. , Spessa , E. , Yang , Y. , Conte , G. et al. Neural-Network Based Approach for Real-Time Control of BMEP and MFB50 in a Euro 6 Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0068 2017 10.4271/2017-24-0068
- Brusca , S. , Lanzafame , R. , and Messina , M. A Combustion Model for ICE by Means of Neural Network SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2110 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2110