This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Confirmation of the Occupant Kinematic Response for Out of Position and Belt Tensioning Effect during Collision Avoidance System
Published March 31, 2020 by The Stapp Association in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The methodology of ensuring safety to occupants' is one of the major challenges about the Integral safety system. Many studies have focused on verification to securing occupants’ restraint during collision avoidance, but the out-of-position (OOP) parameter was not considered sufficiently. The aim of this study is to verify the occupant's kinematic response at OOP seat conditions via the sled platform which simulated the collision avoidance system. In this experiment, 18 volunteers’ motion was measured by infrared cameras and electromyography sensors. According to results, the OOP seat made frontal head motion to 1.5±0.5 times higher than normal seat position (NSP) in braking maneuver. In swerving maneuver at the NSP seat, however, the neck joint peak was represented 0.2 sec quicker, 3 times longer, and higher than the OOP seat. For future work, this study proposes that kinematic compensation of the occupant’s response should be considered with countermeasure onto seat position change.
- Myeongkwan Kang - Mechanical Engineering at Sejong University in Korea
- Dohyung Lim - Mechanical Engineering at Sejong University in Korea
- Hyung Joo Kim - Automotive Research & Development Division at Hyundai Mo
- Seonglae Kim - Automotive Research & Development Division at Hyundai Mo
- Youngkuen Cho - Automotive Research & Development Division at Hyundai Mo
CitationKang, M., Lim, D., Kim, H., Kim, S. et al., "An Experimental Confirmation of the Occupant Kinematic Response for Out of Position and Belt Tensioning Effect during Collision Avoidance System," SAE Technical Paper 2019-22-0024, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-22-0024.
Data Sets - Support Documents
- Bastien , C. , and Blundell , M. 2010 Proceedings of ICRASH. Washington, USA
- Beeman , S. M. , Kemper , A. R. , Madigan , M. L. , Franck , C. T. , and Loftus , S. C. 2012 Occupant kinematics in low-speed frontal sled tests: Human volunteers, Hybrid III ATD, and PMHS Accident Analysis and Prevention 47 128 139
- Cram , J. R. 1998 Introduction to surface electromyography Aspen Publishers
- Forum , I. T. 2019 Commercial Vehicle On-Board Safety Systems OECD/ITF Paris
- Strother , C. E. , James , M. B. , and Gordon , J. J. 1994 Response of out-of-position dummies in rear impact SAE transactions 1501 1529