This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Far Side Impact Injury Threshold Recommendations Based on 6 Paired WorldSID / Post Mortem Human Subjects Tests
Published March 31, 2020 by The Stapp Association in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Far side has been identified in the literature as a potential cause of numerous injuries and fatalities. Euro NCAP developed a far side test protocol to be performed to assess adult protection. A monitoring phase was undertaken between January 2018 and December 2019, and the far side assessment will become part of the rating for all vehicles launched in 2020 onward.
A test buck was developed and 6 paired WorldSID / Post Mortem Human Subjects (PMHS) were subjected to the test protocol proposed by Euro NCAP to contribute to the development of limits. The buck consisted of a rigid seat and a rigid central console covered with 50 mm of Ethafoam TM 180 with a density of 16 kg/m3. The buck was mounted on the sled with an angle of 75° between the X axis of the vehicle and the X axis of the sled.
The peak head excursion was compared between PMHS and the WorldSID dummy. It was found reasonably similar. However, the dummy repeatability was found to be poor.
Out of 6 tests conducted on 6 PMHS, 2 specimens sustained AIS3 and, 3 specimens AIS2 cervical spine injuries, 3 specimens sustained AIS3, 1 AIS2 and 1 AIS1 thoracic injuries, and 2 specimens sustained AIS2 abdominal injuries. The peak values recorded on the dummy according to the Euro NCAP protocol were compared with the injury assessments of the PMHS tests. In the configuration used, which includes a central console, the hard thorax injury prediction was found to be excellent.
For the neck injury prediction, the data were merged with similar results available in the literature and an Injury Risk Curve was proposed as a derivative from the curve published by Mertz et al. (2003) for neck extension.
- Philippe Petit - LAB PSA Peugeot Citroën Renault (Nanterre - France)
- Xavier Trosseille - LAB PSA Peugeot Citroën Renault (Nanterre - France)
- Jérome Uriot - CEESAR (Nanterre - France)
- David Poulard - CEESAR (Nanterre - France)
- Pascal Potier - CEESAR (Nanterre - France)
- Pascal Baudrit - CEESAR (Nanterre - France)
- Sabine Compigne - Toyota Motor Europe NV/SA (Belgium)
- Masato Kunisada - Toyota Motor Corporation (Japan)
- Kenji Tsurui - Toyota Motor Corporation (Japan)
CitationPetit, P., Trosseille, X., Uriot, J., Poulard, D. et al., "Far Side Impact Injury Threshold Recommendations Based on 6 Paired WorldSID / Post Mortem Human Subjects Tests," SAE Technical Paper 2019-22-0005, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-22-0005.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
|Unnamed Dataset 8|
|Unnamed Dataset 9|
|Unnamed Dataset 10|
|Unnamed Dataset 11|
|Unnamed Dataset 12|
|Unnamed Dataset 13|
|Unnamed Dataset 14|
|Unnamed Dataset 15|
|Unnamed Dataset 16|
|Unnamed Dataset 17|
|Unnamed Dataset 18|
|Unnamed Dataset 19|
|Unnamed Dataset 20|
- Bostrom , O. , Gabler , H. C. , Digges , K. , Fildes , B. , & Sunnevang , C. 2008 Injury reduction opportunities of far side impact countermeasures Ann. Adv. Automot. Med. 52 289 300
- Far Side Test and Assessment Protocol v1.1 2019 https://cdn.euroncap.com/media/41765/euro-ncap-far-side-test-and-assessment-protocol-v11.201811091249031149.pdf
- Forman J.L. , Lopez-Valdes F. , Lessley D.J. , Riley P. , Sochor M. , Heltzel S. , Ash J. , Perz R. , Kent R.W. , Seacrist T. , Arbogast K.B. , Tanji H. , Higuchi K. 2013 Occupant Kinematics and Shoulder Belt Retention in Far-Side Lateral and Oblique Collisions: A Parametric Study Stapp Car Crash Journal 57 343 385
- Gabler , H. C. , Fitzharris , M. , Scully , J. , Fildes , B. N. , Digges , K. , & Sparke , L. 2005
- Lund , A.K. 2003
- Mertz , H.J. and Patrick , L.M. 1967 Investigation of the kinematics and kinetics of whiplash Proc. 11th Stapp Car Crash conference 267 317 Warrendale, PA
- Mertz , H.J. and Patrick , L.M. 1971 Strength and response of the human neck Proc. 15th Stapp Car Crash Conference 207 255 Warrendale, PA
- Mertz , H.J. , Driscoll , G.D. , Lenox , J.B. , Nyquist , G.W. , and Weber , D.A. 1982 Response of animals exposed to deployment of various passenger inflatable restraint system concepts for a variety of collision severities and animal positions Ninth Experimental Safety Vehicle Conference 352 368 Kyoto, Japan
- Mertz , H. J. , Irwin , A. L. , Prasad , P. 2003 Biomechanical and Scaling Bases for Frontal and Side Impact Injury Assessment Reference Values Stapp Car Crash Journal 47 155 188
- Mertz , H.J. and Prasad , P. 2000 Improved neck injury risk curves for tension and extension moment measurements of crash test dummies Stapp Car Crash Journal 44 59 75
- Mertz H.J. , Irwin A.L. , Prasad P. 2016 Biomechanical and scaling basis for frontal and side impact injury assessment reference values (Corrected, Republished, and Updated) Stapp Car Crash Conference Washington, D.C., United States November 7-9
- Perez-Rapela , D. , Markusic , C. , Whitcomb , B. , Pipkorn , B. , Forman , J.L. , Donlon , J.P. , Montesinos Acosta , S. , Crandall , J.R. 2018 630 654
- Petitjean A. , Trosseille X. , Praxl N. , Hynd D. 2012 Injury Risk Curves for the WorldSID 50th Male Dummy Stapp Car Crash Conference Savannah Georgia, United States October 29-31
- Pintar F. , Yoganandan N. , Stemper B. , Bostrom O. , Rouhana S. , Digges K. , Fildes B. Comparison of PMHS, WorldSID, and THOR-NT Responses in Simulated Far Side Impact Stapp Car Crash Conference San Diego California, United States October 29-31 2007
- Prasad , P. and Daniel , R.P. 1984 Biomechanicalanalysis of head, neck and torso injuries to child surrogates due to sudden acceleration Proc. 28th Stapp Car Crash Conference 25 40 Warrendale, PA
- Trosseille , X. , Baudrit , P. , Leport , T. , Vallancien , G. 2008 Rib Cage Strain Pattern as a Function of Chest Loading Configuration Stapp Car Crash Journal 52 205 231
- Wolanin , M.J. , Mertz , H.J. , Nyznyk , R.S. , and Vincent , J.H. 1982 Description and basis of a three-year-old child dummy for evaluating passenger inflatable restraint concepts Ninth Experimental Safety Vehicle Conference 287 299 Kyoto, Japan