This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of PMDC Motor Using SciFEMM
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 15, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The aim of this work is to analyze and redesign a PMDC (permanent magnet direct current) motor for power density improvement. An alternate approach for design of a PMDC motor is presented here against conventional methods such as analytical solving methods and magnetic circuit modeling techniques. The conventional methods have the limitation of being approximate in nature. The alternative design approach for motor design presented here has the advantage of being less time consuming and more accurate when compared with the above-prescribed methods. An algorithm was developed in SciFEMM to interface SCILAB and FEMM which was then used to create a generic PMDC motor model with variable electrical and magnetic properties. The output from the model can be used to identify torque (Nm), magnetic flux pattern (Wb), field intensity(kA/m), flux linkage (Wb), accurate brush positioning, fill factor, total losses (W), resistance (Ω), inductance (H), current density (A/m2), cogging torque, flux density, and field intensity vector plot. Power density of a PMDC motor was improved by redesigning using the alternative approach and simulated results were again verified using another electromagnetic simulation software.
CitationAnupama, K., Anirudh Murthy, K., and Sivakumar, A., "Design of PMDC Motor Using SciFEMM," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-6500, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-6500.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- Sawhney , A.K. A Course in Electrical Machine Design Dhanpat Rai & Co. (P) Ltd
- Meeker , D. 2015
- Hanselman , D.C. Brushless Permanent-Magnet Motor Design McGraw-Hill
- Karnavas Y.L. , Chasiotis I.D. , and Peponakis E.D. Optimization of Standard PMDC Motors Used in Automotive Applications for High Power Density 2016 Third International Conference on Mathematics and Computers in Sciences and in Industry 10.1109/MCSI.2016.013
- Yegna Narayanan , S.S. and Anandakumar Nair , K.R. Design Analysis of Permanent Magnet D.C. Motors with Differing Armature, Magnet and Yoke Lengths IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversions 13 1 55 61 1998
- Hwang , C.C. and Chang , J.J. Design and Analysis of High Power Density and High Efficiency Permanent D.C. Motor Journalism of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 209 234 236 2000
- Cros , J. , Sincero , G.C.R. , and Viarouge , P. Design Method for Brush Permanent Magnet DC Motors 2009 IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference Miami, FL 2009