This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Fender Coverage Angle on the Aerodynamic Drag of a Bicycle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
While riding cycles, cyclists usually experience an aerodynamic drag force. Over the years, there has been a global effort to reduce the aerodynamic drag of a cycle. Fenders affect the aerodynamic drag of a cycle to a large extent, and fender coverage has a pronounced effect on the same. In this article, various fender coverage angles, varying from 60° to 270°, were studied to predict the aerodynamic drag with the help of a validated CFD model in SolidWorks Flow Simulation. The model was based on the Favre-Averaged Navier-Stokes (FANS) equations solved using the k-ɛ model. It was predicted that aerodynamic drag coefficient reduced fender coverage angle up to 135°, and thereafter started increasing. Analyses were carried out at velocities of 6 m/s, 8 m/s and 10 m/s and the results were found to be similar, with a minimum aerodynamic drag coefficient at 135° occurring in all the cases under study. There was an observed optimum decrease in drag coefficient to the extent of 4.6%, 4.5% and 4.6% as compared to the bicycle without fenders for the 6 m/s, 8 m/s and 10 m/s cases, respectively.
CitationKashyap, V., Arora, B., and Bhattacharjee, S., "Effect of Fender Coverage Angle on the Aerodynamic Drag of a Bicycle," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5086, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5086.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Penrose, J.M.T., Hose, D.R., and Trowbridge, E.A. , “Cricket Ball Swing: A Preliminary Analysis Using Computational Fluid Dynamics,” in Engineering of Sport (Rotterdam, 1996).
- Barber, S., Chin, S., and Carré, M. , “Sports Ball Aerodynamics: A Numerical Study of the Erratic Motion of Soccer Balls,” Computers & Fluids 38:1091-1100, 2009.
- Barber, S., Haake, S., and Carré, M. , “Using CFD to Understand the Effects of Seam Geometry on Soccer Ball Aerodynamics,” in The Engineering of Sport 6 (2006).
- Himeno, R. , “Computational Study of Influences of a Seam Line of a Ball for Baseball on Flows,” Journal of Visualization 4(2):197-207, 2001.
- Marinho, D., Silva, A.J., Reis, V.M., Barbosa, T.M. et al. , “Three-Dimensional CFD Analysis of the Hand and Forearm in Swimming,” Journal of Applied Biomechanics 27(1):74-80, 2011.
- Hart, J. , “Simulation and Understanding of the Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Badminton Shuttle,” Procedia Engineering 72:768-773, 2014.
- Debraux, P., Grappe, F., Manolova, A.V., and Bertucci, W. , “Aerodynamic Drag in Cycling: Methods of Assessment,” Sports Biomechanics 10(3):197-218, 2011.
- Zdravkovich, M. , “Aerodynamics of Bicycle Wheel and Frame,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 40:55-70, 1992.
- Sayers, P.S. , “Drag Force on Rotating Racing Cycle Wheels,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 53:431-440, 1994.
- Doval, P. and Avdeev, I. , “Investigation of Riding Position Effects on Time-Trial Bicycle Drag Coefficient at Different Yaw Angles,” in ASME 2012 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition Volume 3: Design, Materials and Manufacturing, Parts A, B, and C, Houston, TX, 2012.
- Gibertini, G., Campanardi, G., Grassi, D., and Macchi, C. , “Aerodynamics of Biker Position,” in Proceedings of the BBAA VI International Colloquium on: Bluff Bodies Aerodynamics and Applications, 2008.
- Blocken, B., Defraeye, T., Koninckx, E., Carmeliet, J. et al. , “CFD Simulations of the Aerodynamic Drag of Two Drafting Cyclists,” Computers & Fluids 71:435-445, 2013.
- Alam, F., Chowdhury, H., Elmir, Z., Sayogo, A. et al. , “An Experimental Study of Thermal Comfort and Aerodynamic Efficiency of Recreational and Racing Bicycle Helmets,” Procedia Engineering 2:2413-2418, 2010.
- Chabroux, V., Barelle, C., and Favier, D. , “Aerodynamics of Cyclist Posture, Bicycle and Helmet Characteristics in Time Trial Stage,” Journal of Applied Biomechanics 28:317-323, 2012.
- Beaumont, F., Taiar, R., Polidori, G., Trenchard, H. et al. , “Aerodynamic Study of Time-Trial Helmets in Cycling Racing Using CFD Analysis,” Journal of Biomechanics 67:1-8, 2018.
- Bini, R.R., Dagnese, F., and Kleinpaul, J. , “Bicycle Types and Sizes,” in Biomechanics of Cycling (Springer), 63-69.
- Moore, J., Hubbard, M., Schwab, A., and Kooijman, J. , “Accurate Measurement of Bicycle Parameters,” in Proceedings, Bicycle and Motorcycle Dynamics 2010, Symposium on the Dynamics and Control of Single Track Vehicles, Delft, the Netherlands, 2010.
- Ebell, M. and Desai, K. , “Impact of Age, Location, and Bicycle Style on Helmet Usage by Adults,” Traffic Injury Prevention 13:150-154, 2012.
- Franke, J., Hellsten, A., Chlünzen, H., and Carissimo, B. , “Best Practice Guideline for the CFD Simulation of Flows in the Urban Environment,” in COST Action 732: Quality Assurance and Improvement of Microscale Meteorological Methods, Hamburg, Germany, 2007.
- Sobachkin, A. and Dumnov, G. , “Numerical Basis of CAD-Embedded CFD,” in NAFEMS World Congress, 2013.
- Jones, W.L.B. , “The Prediction of Laminarization with a Two-Equation Model of Turbulence,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 15:301-314, 1972.
- Defraeye, T., Blocken, B., Koninckx, E., Hespel, P. et al. , “Computational Fluid Dynamics Analysis of Cyclist Aerodynamics: Performance of Different Turbulence-Modelling and Boundary-Layer Modelling Approaches,” Journal of Biomechanics 43(12):2281-2287, 2010.
- Mentor Graphics , “How to Choose an Effective Grid System for CFD Meshing,” 2001.
- Arora, B.B. , “Performance Analysis of Parallel Hub Diverging Casing Axial Annular Diffuser with 20° Equivalent Cone Angle,” Australian Journal of Mechanical Engineering 12(2):179-194, 2014.
- Zdravkovich, M., Ashcroft, M.W., Chisholm, S.J., and Hicks, N. , “Effect of Cyclist’s Posture and Vicinity of Another Cyclist on Aerodynamic Drag,” in Haake, S. (ed.), The Engineering of Sport, First Edition.
- Defraeye, T., Blocken, B., Koninckx, E., Hespel, P. et al. , “Aerodynamic Study of Different Cyclist Positions: CFD and Full-Scale Wind-Tunnel Tests,” Journal of Biomechanics 43:1262-1268, 2012.
- Barry, N., Burton, D., Crouch, T., Sheridan, J. et al. , “Effect of Crosswinds and Wheel Selection on the Aerodynamic Behavior of a Cyclist,” Procedia Engineering 34:20-25, 2012.
- Grappe, F. , “Résistance totale qui s’oppose au déplacement en cyclisme [Total Resistive Forces Opposed to the Motion in Cycling],” in Cyclisme et Optimisation de la Performance (Second Edition) [Cycling and Optimisation of the Performance] (2009), 604.