This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Minimizing Power Consumption of Fully Active Vehicle Suspension System Using Combined Multi-Objective Particle Swarm Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 16, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
This paper introduces an optimum design for a feedback controller of a fully active vehicle suspension system using the combined multi-objective particle swarm optimization (CMOPSO) in order to minimize the actuator power consumption while enhancing the ride comfort. The proposed CMOPSO algorithm aims to minimize both the vertical body acceleration and the actuator power consumption by searching about the optimum feedback controller gains. A mathematical model and the equations of motion of the quarter-car active suspension system are considered and simulated using Matlab/Simulink software. The proposed active suspension is compared with both active suspension system controlled using the linear quadratic regulator (LQR) and the passive suspension systems. Suspension performance is evaluated in time and frequency domains to verify the success of the proposed control technique. The simulated results reveal that the proposed controller using CMOPSO grants a significant enhancement of ride comfort and road holding, and reduction of actuator power consumption.
CitationElsawaf, A., Metered, H., and Abdelhamid, A., "Minimizing Power Consumption of Fully Active Vehicle Suspension System Using Combined Multi-Objective Particle Swarm Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5077, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5077.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Cao, J., Liu, H., Li, P., and Brown, D. , “State of the Art in Vehicle Active Suspension Adaptive Control Systems Based on Intelligent Methodologies,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 9:392-405, 2008.
- Zhao, W., Yang, Z., and Wang, C. , “Multidisciplinary Hybrid Hierarchical Collaborative Optimization of Electric Wheel Vehicle Chassis Integrated System Based on Driver’s Feel,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 57(3):1129-1147, 2018.
- Cao, J., Li, P., and Liu, H. , “An Interval Fuzzy Controller for Vehicle Active Suspension Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 11:885-895, 2010.
- Gao, H., Lam, J., and Wang, C. , “Multi-Objective Control of Vehicle Active Suspension Systems via Load-Dependent Controllers,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 290:654-675, 2006.
- Thompson, A.G. , “An Active Suspension with Optimal Linear State Feedback,” Vehicle System Dynamics 5:187-203, 1976.
- Hrovat, D. , “Survey of Advanced Suspension Developments and Related Optimal Control Applications,” Automatica 33:1781-1817, 1997.
- Fialho, I. and Balas, J. , “Road Adaptive Active Suspension Design Using Linear Parameter-Varying Gain-Scheduling,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 10:43-54, 2002.
- Rajamani, R. and Hedrick, J. , “Adaptive Observers for Active Automotive Suspensions: Theory and Experiment,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 3:86-93, 1995.
- Mohan, B., Modak, J., and Phadke, S. , “Vibration Control of Vehicles Using Model Reference Adaptive Variable Structure Control,” Advances in Vibration Engineering 2:343-361, 2003.
- Gao, H., Sun, W., and Shi, P. , “Robust Sampled-Data H∞ Control for Vehicle Active Suspension Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 18:238-245, 2010.
- Chen, S., He, R., Liu, H., and Yao, M. , “Probe into Necessity of Active Suspension Based on LQG Control,” Physics Procedia 25:932-938, 2012.
- Shehata, A., Metered, H., and Oraby, W. , “Vibration Control of Active Vehicle Suspension System Using Fuzzy Logic Controller,” Vibration Engineering and Technology of Machinery, Mechanisms and Machine Science 23:389-399, 2015, Springer Int. Publishing.
- Vaijayanti, S., Mohan, B., Shendge, P., and Phadke, S. , “Disturbance Observer-Based Sliding Mode Control of Active Suspension Systems,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 333:2281-2296, 2014.
- Yun, Q., Zhao, Y., and Yang, H. , “A Dynamic Sliding-Mode Controller with Fuzzy Adaptive Tuning for an Active Suspension System,” Proceedings of the IMechE Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 221:417-428, 2007.
- Ali, S.A., Metered, H., Bassiuny, A.M., and Abdel-Ghany, A.M. , “Vibration Control of an Active Seat Suspension System Integrated Pregnant Woman Body Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0172, 2019, doi:10.4271/2019-01-0172.
- Huang, S.-J. and Lin, W.-C. , “A Neural Network Based Sliding Mode Controller for Active Vehicle Suspension,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Automobile Engineering 221:1381-1397, 2007.
- Assadian, F. , “A Comparative Study of Optimal Linear Controllers for Vibration Suppression,” Journal of the Franklin Institute 339:347-360, 2002.
- Chantranuwathana, S. and Peng, H. , “Force Tracking Control for Active Suspensions-Theory and Experiments,” in Proceedings of the 1999 IEEE International Conference on Control Applications, vol. 1, 1999, 442-447.
- Liu, J., Li, X., Wang, Z., and Zhang, Y. , “Modelling and Experimental Study on Active Energy-Regenerative Suspension Structure with Variable Universe Fuzzy PD Control,” Shock and Vibration 2016, 2016.
- Deakin, A., Crolla, D., Shovlin, A., and Charlton, N. , “Power Consumption in Ride of a Combat Support Vehicle Slow-Active Suspension,” SAE Technical Paper 973205, 1997, doi:10.4271/973205.
- Sun, W., Gao, H., and Kaynak, O. , “Finite Frequency H∞ Control for Vehicle Active Suspension System,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 19(2):416-422, 2011.
- Pham, T., Wilkins, S., Lauwerys, C., and Dhaens, M. , “Reducing Power Consumption of an Active Suspension System Using Improved Control and/or Energy Harvesting Module,” in 26th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, 2017.
- Gillespie, T. , Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics (Warrendale: SAE International, 1993).
- Lin, C., Gao, F., and Bai, Y. , “An Intelligent Sampling Approach for Metamodel-Based Multi-Objective Optimization with Guidance of the Adaptive Weighted-Sum Method,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 57(3):1047-1060, 2018.
- Kennedy, J. and Eberhart, R. , “Particle Swarm Optimization,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, 1995, 1942-1948.
- Shi, Y. and Eberhart, R. , “A Modified Particle Swarm Optimizer,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, 1998, 69-73.
- Kennedy, J. , “The Particle Swarm: Social Adaptation of Knowledge,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, 1997, 303-308.
- Elsawaf, A., Metered, H., Vampola, T., and Šika, Z. , “Parameter Identification of Magnetorheological Damper Using Particle Swarm Optimization,” International Journal of Earthquake Engineering 2(1):1-6, 2015.
- Elsawaf, A., Ashida, F., and Sakata, S. , “Hybrid Constrained Optimization for Design of a Piezoelectric Composite Disk Controlling Thermal Stress,” Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Japan 60:145-154, 2012.
- Elsawaf, A., Ashida, F., and Sakata, S. , “Optimum Structure Design of a Multilayer Piezo-Composite Disk for Control of Thermal Stress,” Journal of Thermal Stresses 35:805-819, 2012.
- Metered, H., Elsawaf, A., Vampola, T., and Šika, Z. , “Vibration Control of MR-Damped Vehicle Suspension System Using PID Controller Tuned by Particle Swarm Optimization,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 8(2):426-435, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0622.
- Giua, A., Melas, M., Seatzu, C., and Usai, G. , “Design of a Predictive Semiactive Suspension System,” Vehicle System Dynamics 41:277-300, 2004.
- Metered, H. , “Application of Nonparametric Magnetorheological Damper Model in Vehicle Semi-Active Suspension System,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 5(1):715-726, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0977.
- Choi, S. and Kim, W. , “Vibration Control of a Semi-Active Suspension Featuring Electrorheological Fluid Dampers,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 234:537-546, 2000.
- Metered, H., Bonello, P., and Oyadiji, S. , “An Investigation into the Use of Neural Networks for the Semi-Active Control of a Magnetorheologically Damped Vehicle Suspension,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Automobile Engineering 224:829-848, 2010.
- Rajamani, R. , Vehicle Dynamics and Control (New York: Springer Science and Business Media, 2006).
- Fischer, D. and Isermann, R. , “Mechatronic Semi-Active and Active Vehicle Suspensions,” Control Engineering Practice 12(11):1353-1367, 2004.
- Shojaei, A., Metered, H., Shojaei, S., and Oyadiji, S.O. , “Theoretical and Experimental Investigation of Magneto-Rheological Damper Based Semi-Active Suspension Systems,” International Journal of Vehicle Structures & Systems 5(3-4):109-120, 2013.