This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on the Control Strategy of Trailer Tracking Tractor for Articulated Heavy Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 04, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The purpose of this paper is to improve the path-following capability and high-speed lateral stability of the articulated heavy vehicles (AHVs). The six-axle heavy articulated vehicle was taken as the research object, in order to simplify the control design, the three-axle trailer of the articulated vehicles was simplified to a single-axle trailer. The Newton's second law was applied to the tractor unit and the single-axle trailer unit respectively, a three-degree-of-freedom vehicle yaw plane model was established, and its state space equation was derived. The trailer steering controller was designed by linear quadratic regulator (LQR) technique. At the same time, the optimal index function was determined by combining the vehicle state variables, and the optimal control input was obtained by using the algebraic Riccati equation. In order to achieve better control of the trailer unit, the relationship of the Ackerman steering geometry is used to obtain the ideal angle of each tire of the trailer unit. Co-simulation of low-speed steady circular motion and double lane change motion in Matlab/Simulink and Trucksim was carried out to verify the validity of the proposed vehicle model and the designed trailer steering controller. The simulation results show that the designed controller significantly improves the path following performance of the trailer unit and enhances the high-speed lateral stability.
CitationPan, K., Zheng, H., and Wu, J., "Research on the Control Strategy of Trailer Tracking Tractor for Articulated Heavy Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5054, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5054.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- China-SAE , Technology Roadmap for Energy Saving and New Energy Vehicles (Beijing: Mechanical Industry Press, 2016).
- Guo, J., Li, K., and Luo, Y. , “Review on the Research of Motion Control for Intelligent Vehicles,” J Automotive Safety and Energy 7(02):151-159, 2016.
- Hayakawa, Y., White, R., Kimura, T. et al. , “Driver Compatible Steering System for Wide Speed-Range Path Following,” IEEE/ASME Trans Mechatronics 9(3):545-552, 2004.
- Cremean, L.B., Foote, T.B., Gillua, J.H. et al. , “Alice: an Information-Rich Autonomous Vehicle for Highway-Speed Desert Navigation,” J Field Robotics 23(9):777-810, 2006.
- Sebastian, T., Mike, M., Hendrik, D. et al. , “Stanley: the Robot that Won the DARPA Grand Challenge,” J Field Robotics 23(9):661-692, 2006.
- Netto, M., Blossville, J.M., Lusetti, B. et al. , “A New Robust Control System with Optimized Use of the Lane Detection Data for Vehicle Full Lateral Control Under Strong Curvatures,” IEEE Intell Transp Syst Conf 1382-1387, Sept 17-20, 2006.
- Zhao, X. and Chen, H. , “A Study on Lateral Control Method for the Path Tracking of Intelligent Vehicles,” Automotive Engineering 33(5):383-387, 2011.
- Huang, J. and Tomizuka, M. , “LTV Controller Design for Vehicle Lateral Control under Fault Linear Sensors,” IEEE/ASME Trans Mechatronics 10(1):1-7, 2005.
- Rajamani, R., Zhu, C., and Alexander, L. , “Lateral Control of a Backward Driven Front-Steering Vehicle,” Control Eng Pract 11(5):531-540, 2003.
- Choi, S.B. , “The Design of a Look-Down Feedback Adaptive Controller for the Lateral Control of Front Wheel Steering Autonomous Highway Vehicles,” IEEE Trans Vehi Tech 29(6):2257-2269, 2000.
- Falcone, P., Borrelli, F., and Asgari, J. , “Predictive Active Steering Control for Autonomous Vehicle Systems,” IEEE Trans Contr Syst Tech 15(3):566-580, 2007.
- Guo, J., Li, L., Li, K. et al. , “An Adaptive Fuzzy-Sliding Lateral Control Strategy of Automated Vehicles Based on Vision Navigation,” Vehi Syst Dyn 51(10):1502-1517, 2013.
- Broggi, A., Bertozzi, M., Fascioli, A. et al. , “The ARGO Autonomous Vehicle’s Vision and Control Systems,” Int'l J Intell Contr Syst 3(4):409-441, 1999.
- Perez, J., Milanes, V., and Onieva, E. , “Cascade Architecture for Lateral Control in Autonomous Vehicles,” IEEE Trans Intell Transp Syst 12(1):73-82, 2011.
- Yang, J., Yun, S., and Huh, K. , “Narrow Passage Assistant System for Rear Wheel Steering Semi-Trailer Truck,” in 2017 2nd IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Engineering (ICITE), 2017, 9-13.
- Tai, M. and Tomizuka, M. , “Experimental Study of Lateral Control of Heavy Vehicles for Automated Highway Systems,” in Proc Ame Contr Conf, Anchorage, AK, May 8-10, 2002, 851-865.
- He, Y., Islam, M.M., and Timothy, D.W. , “An Integrated Design Method for Articulated Heavy Vehicles with ATS Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0092 , 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0092.
- Lin, X., Ding, N., Xu, G., and Gao, F. , “High Speed Optimal Yaw Stability of Tractor-Semitrailers with ATS,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0093 , 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0093.
- Wang, Q., Zhu, S., and He, Y. , “Model Reference Adaptive Control for ATS of Articulated Heavy Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1495 , 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1495.
- Beyersdorfer, S. and Wagner, S. , “Novel Model Based Path Planning for Multi-Axle Steered Heavy Load Vehicles,” in Proceedings of the 16th International IEEE Annual Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC 2013), The Hague, The Netherlands, October 6-9, 2013.
- Ding, X. and He, Y. , “Design and Evaluation of ATS Systems of Long Combination Vehicles Using Driver-Software-in-the-Loop Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0934 , 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0934.
- Xu, X., Zhang, L., Jiang, Y. et al. , “Active Control on Path Following and Lateral Stability for Truck-Trailer,” Arab J Sci Eng 44:1365, 2019, doi:10.1007/s13369-018-3527-1.
- Jujnovich, B.A. and Cebon, D. , “Path-Following Steering Control for Articulated Vehicles,” J. Dyn. Sys., Meas., Control 135(3):031006, 2013, doi:10.1115/1.4023396.
- Miao, Q. , “Vision-Based Path-Following Control of Articulated Vehicles,” Ph.D. thesis, Cambridge University Department of Engineering, 2015.
- Nie, Z. , “Research on Integration Control Strategy of Heavy-duty Semi-trailer Based on Rear Axle Active Steering and Differential Braking,” Ph.D. thesis, Jilin University, 2014.
- Lewis, F.L. ,“Linear Quadratic Regulator (LQR) State Feedback Design,” http://www.uta.edu/utari/acs/Lectures/lqr.pdf, 2008.
- SAE, J2179 , “A Test for Evaluating the Rearward Amplification of Multi-Articulated Vehicles,” Submitted for Recognitions as an American National Standard, 2000.