This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nonlinear Modelling and Parametric Study of a Sealed Tuned Liquid Column Damper for Vibration Mitigation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 16, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
The main intention of the present study is to reduce unwanted vibrations of mechanical systems through a sealed tuned liquid column damper (STLCD). A nonlinear mathematical model including nonlinear hydrodynamic damping and air stiffness of the STLCD is considered to study the dynamic behaviour of a structure-STLCD system. A parametric study to investigate the effect of the main parameters of the STLCD such as length ratio and mass ratio on the dynamic behaviour of the main system is presented. The air volume at rest is considered as an additional design parameter. The results obtained showed that the efficiency and the range of application of the STLCD to control the system’s resonance vibration are more than that of the traditional one. In addition, it can be noticed that the gain in vibration mitigation from the STLCD with increase in mass ratio and length ratio higher than 7% and 0.8, respectively, is generally modest. These results enhance the actual implementation of the STLCD for small horizontal space applications. Equations for the optimum value of the initial air height ratio and its corresponding performance index as a function of both mass ratio and relative length were proposed.
CitationYounes, M., "Nonlinear Modelling and Parametric Study of a Sealed Tuned Liquid Column Damper for Vibration Mitigation," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5045, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5045.
- Mallik, A.K. and Chatterjee, S. , Principles of Passive and Active Vibration Control (New Delhi: Affiliated East-West Press Private Limited, 2014), 180-181.
- Younes, M.F. , “Optimal Design of Dynamic Vibration Absorber for Rolling Systems,” Journal of Engineering and Applied Science 64(4):307-324, 2017.
- Younes, M.F. , “Numerical Modelling and Experimental Investigation of a Single and a Compound Pendulum Impact Dynamic Vibration Absorbers,” in Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Aerospace Sciences and Aviation Technology, 1-14, 2017, doi: 10.21608/Asat.2017.22479.
- Younes, M.F. , “Effect of Different Design Parameters on Damping Capacity of Liquid Column Vibration Absorber,” Journal of Engineering and Applied Science 65(6):447-467, 2018.
- Zhang, Z. and Hoeg, C. , “Vibration Control of Floating Offshore Wind Turbines Using Liquid Column Dampers,” Journal of Physics, Conf. Series 1037:032002, 2018.
- Basu, B., Zhang, Z., and Nielsen, S.R. , “Damping of Edgewise Vibration in Wind Turbine Blades by Means of Circular Liquid Dampers,” Journal of Wind Energy 19(2):213-226, 2016.
- Rozas, L., Boroschek, R.L., Tamburrino, A., and Rojas, M. , “A Bidirectional Tuned Liquid Column Damper for Reducing the Seismic Response of Buildings,” Structural Control and Health Monitoring 23(4):621-640, 2016.
- Altunisik, A.C., Yetisken, A., and Kahya, V. , “Experimental Study on Control Performance of Tuned Liquid Column Dampers Considering Different Excitation Directions,” Mech. Syst. Signal Process 102:59-71, 2018.
- Di Matteo, A., Paola, M.D., and Pirrotta, A. , “Innovative Modeling of Tuned Liquid Column Damper Controlled Structures,” Smart Struct. Syst. 18(1):117-138, 2016.
- Al-Saif, K.A., Aldakkan, K.A., and Foda, M.A. , “Modified Liquid Column Damper for Vibration Control of Structures,” Int. J. Mech. Sci. Vol. 53:505-512, 2011.
- Bhattacharyya, S., Ghosh, A.D., and Basu, B. , “Experimental Investigations Into CLCD With Identification of Tuning and Damping Effects,” J. Struct. Eng. 143:06017003, 2017, doi:10.1061/(Asce)St.1943-541x.0001788.
- Sonmez, E., Nagarajaiah, S., Sun, C., and Basu, B. , “A Study on Semi-Active Tuned Liquid Column Dampers (STLCDS) for Structural Response Reduction under Random Excitations,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 362:1-15, 2016, doi:10.1016/J.Jsv.2015.09.020.
- Hochrainer, M.J. , “Control of Vibrations of Civil Engineering Structures with Special Emphasis on Tall Buildings,” Doctoral Dissertation, Vienna University of Technology, Austria, 2001, http://www.ub.tuwien.ac.at/diss/ac03322409.pdf.
- Corte, W.D. and Delesie, C. , “Sealed Tuned Liquid Column Dampers: A Cost Effective Solution for Vibration Damping of Large Arch Hangers,” in Proceedings of The 5th International Conference on Arch Bridges, Madeira, Portugal, 2007, 409-416.
- Ziegler, F. and Kazemiamiri, A. , “Bridge Vibrations Effectively Damped by Means of Tuned Liquid Column Gas Dampers,” Asian Journal of Civil Engineering 14(1):1-16, 2013.
- Reiterer, M. and Ziegler, F. , “Bi-Axial Seismic Activation of Civil Engineering Structures Equipped With Tuned Liquid Column Dampers,” JSEE: Spring 7(1):45-60, 2005.
- Hochrainer, M. and Ziegler, F. , “Control of Tall Building Vibrations by Sealed Tuned Liquid Column Dampers,” Structural Control and Health Monitoring 13:980-1002, 2006.
- Hochrainer, M.J. and Fotiu, P.A. , “Design of Coupled Tuned Liquid Column Gas Dampers for Multi-Mode Reduction in Vibrating Structures,” Acta Mech. Vol. 229:911-928, 2018.
- Shum, K.M., Xu, Y.L., and Guo, W.H. , “Wind-Induced Vibration Control of Long Span Cable-Stayed Bridges Using Multiple Pressurized Tuned Liquid Column Dampers,” J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn 96:166-192, 2008.
- Mousavi, S.A., Bargi, K., and Zahrai, S.M. , “Optimum Parameters of Tuned Liquid Column-Gas Damper for Mitigation of Seismic-Induced Vibrations of Offshore Jacket Platforms,” Structural Control and Health Monitoring 20(3):422-444, 2013.
- Mousavi, S.A., Zahrai, S.M., and Bargi, K. , “Optimum Geometry of Tuned Liquid Column-Gas Damper for Control of Offshore Jacket Platform Vibrations Under Seismic Excitation,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration 11(3):579-592, 2012.
- Chuan, F. , “Application of Torsional Tuned Liquid Column Gas Damper for Plan-Asymmetric Buildings,” Structural Control and Health Monitoring 18:492-509, 2012.
- Bhattacharyya, S., Ghosh, A., and Basu, B. , “Nonlinear Modeling and Validation of Air Spring Effects In A Sealed Tuned Liquid Column Damper for Structural Control,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 410:269-286, 2017.