This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Parameter Identification for One-Dimension Fuel Cell Model Using GA-PSO Algorithm
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 4, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
When studying on how to identify the proton exchange membrane fuel cell model parameters accurately and quickly, the model frequently used is a lumped parameter model. Compared to this kind of model, one-dimensional dynamic proton exchange membrane fuel cell model can correlate the physical parameters with output characteristics of fuel cell to predict the effects of design parameters, materials and environmental conditions, thus reducing the need for experimentation. However, there is little literature about parameter identification for one-dimensional dynamic models currently. In this paper, a one-dimension dynamic proton exchange membrane fuel cell model with many assumptions for reducing the complexity of calculation is realized in Matlab-Simulink environment. The model consists of five interacting subsystems. The GA-PSO hybrid optimization algorithm is used to identify the parameters of fuel cell model to emulate the output characteristics of different proton exchange membrane fuel cells. This hybrid algorithm is an improved Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm relying on Genetic Algorithm's strong global search ability, with the aim of maintaining the population diversity and avoiding premature convergence. The result shows that the Relative Errors between experimental data and the corresponding simulated data are less than 1% by setting the model parameters using the results from the new hybrid optimization method. In addition, the dynamic simulation is also carried out. Taking the dynamically changing current as an input, the voltage and power response of this model are compared with conclusions of other researchers. The rationality of the dynamic simulation results further verifies the reliability of the model.
CitationShao, M., Wei, H., and Xu, S., "Parameter Identification for One-Dimension Fuel Cell Model Using GA-PSO Algorithm," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5041, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5041.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Yi, B.L. , Fuel Cell: Principle, Technology and Application (Beijing: Chemical Industry Press, 2003). ISBN:7-5025-4522-0.
- Shekhar, K. , “An Investigation into the Minimum Dimensionality Required for Accurate Simulation of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells by the Comparison between 1- and 3-Dimension Models,” Ph.D. thesis, University of Cape Town, 2013.
- Springer, T.E., Zawodzinski, T.A., and Gottesfeld, S. , “Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cell Model,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society 138(8):2334-2342, 1991, doi:10.1149/1.2085971.
- Ceraolo, M., Miulli, C., and Pozio, A. , “Modelling Static and Dynamic Behaviour of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells on the Basis of Electro-Chemical Description,” Journal of Power Sources 113(1):131-144, 2003, doi:10.1016/s0378-7753(02)00565-7.
- Priya, K., Sathishkumar, K., and Rajasekar, N. , “A Comprehensive Review on Parameter Estimation Techniques for Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Modelling,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 93:121-144, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2018.05.017.
- Zhang, L. and Wang, N. , “An Adaptive RNA Genetic Algorithm for Modeling of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 38(1):219-228, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2012.10.026.
- Zhu, Q., Wang, N., and Zhang, L. , “Circular Genetic Operators Based RNA Genetic Algorithm for Modeling Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 39(31):17779-17790, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2014.07.081.
- Ohenoja, M. and Kauko, L. , “Validation of Genetic Algorithm Results in a Fuel Cell Model,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 35(22):12618-12625, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2010.07.129.
- Chibante, C. , “An Experimentally Optimized PEM Fuel Cell Model Using PSO Algorithm,” in IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, 2010, doi:10.1109/ISIE.2010.5637642.
- Abdin, Z., Webb, C.J., and Gray, E.M. , “PEM Fuel Cell Model and Simulation in Matlab-Simulink Based on Physical Parameters,” Energy 116:1131-1144, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2016.10.033.
- O'Hayre R., Cha S.W., Colella W., et al. , Fuel Cell Fundamentals, 2006, IBSN:978-471-74148-5.
- Jiao, K. and Li, X. , “Water Transport in Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells,” Progress in Energy & Combustion Science 37(3):221-291, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.pecs.2010.06.002.
- Pukrushpan, J.T. , “Modeling and Control of Fuel Cell Systems and Fuel Processors,” Ph.D. thesis, Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2003.
- Ren, Y. , “Intelligent Modeling, Optimization and Control of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells Generation System,” Ph.D. thesis, Automation Department, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, 2008.
- Zhu, L. , “Dynamic Modeling, Controlling and Fault Diagnosis of Thermal Management System in Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell,” M.S thesis, Power Machinery and Engineering Department, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, 2012.
- Li, X. , “Study of Modeling and Intelligent Control Strategies for Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell System,” Ph.D. thesis, Automation Department, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, 2005.
- Yu, S.W. , “MATLAB Optimization Algorithm Case Analysis and Application,” 2014, IBSN:978-7-302-36702-4.
- Sorsa, A., Peltokangas, R. and Leiviska, K. , “Real-Coded Genetic Algorithms and Nonlinear Parameter Identification,” the 4th International IEEE Conference Intelligent Systems, 2008, doi:10.1109/IS.2008.4670495.
- Mo, Z.J., Zhu, X.J., Wei, L.Y. et al. , “Parameter Optimization for a PEMFC Model with a Hybrid Genetic Algorithm,” International Journal of Energy Research 30(8):585-597, 2006, doi:10.1002/er.1170.