This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Simulation Analysis of Natural Aspirated Diesel Engine for Fuel Economy Improvement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 20, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
The paper presents the investigation of the engine fuel efficiency improvement using one-dimensional (1D) simulation software Ricardo Wave. The study is carried out for a baseline multicylinder direct-injection naturally aspirated diesel engine of 2945 cc meeting CPCB-II emission norms. Initially base simulation model is calibrated and good correlation is observed between experimental and simulation results for parameters like airflow rate and engine power cylinder pressure. Engine breathing capability, i.e. volumetric efficiency, is improved by optimizing intake pipes, intake ports and cam events. Cam-lobe profile is optimized keeping consideration of gen-set/tractor application. Optimum hardware improved engine pumping losses which results in better fuel efficiency on various load points. It meets CPCB-II emission norms.
CitationNain, A., "Experimental and Simulation Analysis of Natural Aspirated Diesel Engine for Fuel Economy Improvement," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5018, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5018.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Nain , A. , Panigrahi , B. , Bandaru , B. , Pandey , S. et al. Performance Optimization of a 4 Cylinder, 5.3L, DI Diesel Engine for Power, Torque and Emission Level Up-Gradation Using 1-D Thermodynamic Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2011-28-0117 2011 10.4271/2011-28-0117
- Chmela , G.F. and Orthaber , C.G. Rate of Heat Release Prediction for Direct Injection Diesel Engines Based on Purely Mixing Controlled Combustion SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0186 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0186
- Regner , G. , Loibner , E. , Krammer , J. , Walter , L. et al. Analysis of Transient Drive Cycles Using CRUISE-BOOST Co Simulation Techniques SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0627 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0627
- D'Errico , G. , Montenegro , G. , Onorati , A. , Merola , S. et al. Thermofluid Dynamic Modeling and Experimental Investigation of a Turbocharged Common Rail DI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0689 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0689
- Kumar , M. , Mavi , M. , Lakshminarayanan , P. , JeevanDass , G. et al. Thermodynamic Simulation of Turbocharged Intercooled Stoichiometric Gas Engine SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2510 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2510
- Lakshminarayanan , P.A. , Aghav , Y.V. , and Mehta , P.S. Accurate Prediction of the Rate of Heat Release in a Modern Direct Injection Diesel Engine Proceedings of Institute of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: J of automobile Engineering (D13201 IMechE 2002) 216
- Babu , P. , Lakshminarayanan , P. , Setty , K. , Selvakumar , N. et al. Euro-3 Compliant Diesel Engine Using a Cost Effective Fuel Injection Pump without Electronics SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1504 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1504
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals 510 0-07-028637-x