This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Drivetrain Analysis and Optimization of a Two-Speed Class-4 Electric Delivery Truck
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 18, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
The development, analysis, and comparison of battery electric class-4 medium-duty trucks equipped with three possible powertrain layouts, namely, direct drive, single-speed gearbox, and two-speed transmission options, are discussed in this paper. The problem definition is included and the performance evaluation criteria for the proposed truck architectures are defined, namely, acceleration time, top speed, and efficiency. Designs of four new traction motors are proposed and their benefits compared for use in medium-duty electric trucks (e-trucks). The procedure for gear-ratio range selection is outlined, the ranges of gear ratios for the single-speed gearbox and two-speed transmission powertrains being calculated for each of the proposed electric traction motors. The simulation and gear-ratio optimization tasks for the e-trucks are formulated. The energy consumption of the e-truck with the three possible powertrain combinations is minimized over the six driving cycles. The most efficient powertrain layouts that meet the performance criteria are determined.
CitationMorozov, A., Humphries, K., Rahman, T., Zou, T. et al., "Drivetrain Analysis and Optimization of a Two-Speed Class-4 Electric Delivery Truck," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5001, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5001.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Bouchard, S. , Le camion écologique, façon USA, Editorial, Transport Routier 18(3).
- Algrain, M., Lane, W., and Orr, D. , “A Case Study in the Electrification of Class-8 Trucks,” in Electric Machines and Drives Conference, IEMDC’03, IEEE International, Madison, Wisconsin, USA, June 1-4, 2003, 647-655.
- Lee, D.Y., Thomas, V.M., and Brown, M. , “Electric Urban Delivery Trucks: Energy Use, Greenhouse Gas Emissions, and Cost-Effectiveness, American Chemical Society Publications,” Environmental Science Technology 47:8022-8030, 2013.
- Daw, C.S., Graves, R.L., Wagner, R.M., and Caton, J.A. , Report on the Transportation Combustion Engine Efficiency Colloquium held at USCAR, Tech. Rep. ORNL/TM-2010/265, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, March 3-4 2010.
- Asl, H.A., Azad, N.L., and McPhee, J. , “Modeling Torque Converter Characteristics in Automatic Drivelines: Lockup Clutch and Engine Braking Simulation,” Proceedings in of the ASME 2012 Int. Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference IDETC/CIE 2014, Chicago, IL, 2012.
- Mantriota, G. and Pennestri, E. , “Theoretical and Experimental Efficiency Analysis of Multi-Degrees-of-Freedom Epicyclic Gear Trains,” Multibody System Dynamics 9:389-408, 2003.
- Lu, R., Yang, A., Xue, Y., Xu, L. et al. , “Analysis of the Key Factors Affecting the Energy Efficiency of Batteries in Electric Vehicle,” World Electric Vehicle Journal 4.
- Kirtley, J.L. , “Traction Motor Design Considerations,” concept paper, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2011.
- Xu, G., Li, W., Xu, K., and Song, Z. , “An Intelligent Regenerative Braking Strategy for Electric Vehicles,” Energies 4:1461-1477, 2011.
- Zhang, J., Lu, X., Xue, J., and Li, B. , “Regenerative Braking System for Series Hybrid Electric City Bus,” The World Electric Vehicle Journal 2.
- Morozov, A., Humphries, K., Zou, T., Martins, S. et al. , “Design and Optimization of a Drivetrain with Two-Speed Transmission for Electric Delivery Step Van,” in IEEE International Electric Vehicle Conference IEVC 2014, Florence, Italy, December 2014.
- Trabish, H. , Motiv power’s electric drive kit could electrify US truck fleet.
- Motiv Power Systems , Motiv Power Systems launches all-electric option for ford f59 stripped chassis for electric trucks, buses and vans, Press Release, March 2, 2015, https://www.motivps.com/motivps/
- Kent, M. , “From Car Converter to Truck OEM,” Charged EV Magazine 10:54-59, 2013.
- Osborne, G.W. , “Electric Motor Driven Vehicle Having Driver Controlled Variable Speed Drive,” US Patent 3202234.
- Osborne, G. , “Automatic or Manual Multi-Speed Transmission for Electrically Propelled Vehicle,” US Patent 3888326.
- Pollock, F. and Trombley, D. , “Output Torque Matching in a Multi-Speed Electric Vehicle,” US Patent 5629593.
- Deng, D., Xu, J., and Farkas, K. , “Backlash Elimination in the Drivetrain of an Electric Vehicle,” US Patent 5821720.
- Jerew, B. , “Future Electric Vehicles may Have Multispeed Gearboxes,” The Green Optimistic Newsletter, 2014.
- Hanlon, M. , New Multi-Speed Electric Vehicle Transmission Improves ev Performance and Range (Gizmag Blog, 2009).
- Sorniotti, A., Holdstock, T., Pilone, G., Viotto, F. et al. , “Analysis and Simulation of the Gearshift Methodology for a Novel Two-Speed Transmission System for Electric Powertrains with Central Motor,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 226:915-929, 2012.
- Ren, Q., Crolla, D., and Morris, A. , “Effect of Transmission Design on Electric Vehicle Performance,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), Dearborn, USA, 2009.
- Knowles, J., Corne, D., and Deb, K. , Multiobjective Problem Solving from Nature: From Concepts to Applications (Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2008).
- Masson, L. , “Multi-Speed Transmissions Mean Better Efficiency for Electric Cars,” Plugin Cars Forum, 2011.
- Kent, M. , “The Independent Road,” Charge-Electric Vehicle Magazine, 56-61, 2016.
- Morozov, A., Humphries, K., Zou, T., and Angeles, J. , “Performance Evaluation Criteria for the Analysis of Class-4 Electric Truck,” in Proceedings of the CSME 2016 International Congress, Kelowna, BC, Canada, June 26-29, 2016.
- Humphries, K. , “Simulation and Optimization of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles with Two-Speed Transmissions,” Master’s thesis, McGill University, 2015.
- Husain, I. , Electric and Hybrid Vehicles: Design Fundamentals 2nd Edition (CRC Press, 2011).
- Wood, E., Burton, E., Duran, A., and Gonder, J. , “Appending High-Resolution Elevation Data to GPS Speed Traces for Vehicle Energy Modeling and Simulation,” Tech. Rep. NREL/TP-5400-61109, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2014.
- Dahl, B. , “Differential Gear Ratio,” 2014.
- Naunheimer, H. , Automotive Transmissions. Fundamentals, Selection, Design and Application 2nd Edition (Berlin-Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2011).
- Walker, P.D., Rahman, S.A., Zhu, B., and Zhang, N. , “Modelling, Simulations, and Optimisation of Electric Vehicles for Analysis of Transmission Ratio Selection,” Advances in Mechanical Engineering, 2013.
- TM4 , SUMO Electric Powertrain Systems for Medium & Heavy Duty Vehicles, Datasheet 2014.
- TM4 , Mϕtive B Electric Drivetrain, Datasheet 2014.
- EL-Refaie, A.M. and Jahns, T.M. , “Optimal Flux Weakening in pm Surface Machines Using Fractional-Slot Concentrated Windings,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 3:790-800, 2005.
- EL-Refaie, A.M. , “Fractional-Slot Concentrated-Windings Synchronous Permanent Magnet Machines: Opportunities and Challenges,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Electronics 1:107-121, 2010.
- El-Refaie, A.M. and Jahns, T.M. , “Scalability of Surface Mounted pm Machines with Concentrated Windings Designed to Achieve Wide Speed Ranges of Constant Power Operation,” IEEE Transactions on Energy and Conversion 2:362-369, 2006.
- Wang, J., Yuan, X., and Atallah, K. , “Design Optimization of a Surface-Mounted Permanent-Magnet Motor with Concentrated Windings for Electric Vehicle Applications,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 3:1053-1064, 2013.
- Hrabovcova, V., Jokinen, T., and Pyrhonen, J. , Design of Rotating Electrical Machines 2nd Edition (Wiley, 2014).
- Motorsolve , Tech. rep., Infolytica Corporation, 2016.
- Wipke, K.B., Cuddy, M.R., and Burch, S.D. , “ADVISOR 2.1: A User-Friendly Advanced Powertrain Simulation Using a Combined Backward/Forward Approach,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 6:1751-1761, 1999.
- Markel, T., Brooker, A., Hendricks, T., Johnson, V. et al. , “ADVISOR: A Systems Analysis Tool for Advanced Vehicle Modeling,” Journal of Power Sources 2:255-266, 2002.
- Dhand, A. and Pullen, K.R. , “Simulation Based Study of Battery Electric Vehicle Performance in Real World Cycles,” International Journal of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles 4:327-343, 2013.
- Finkel, D.E. , DIRECT Optimization Algorithm User Guide (Raleigh: Center for Research in Scientific Computation/North Carolina State University, 2003).
- Jones, D.R. , “Direct Global Optimization Algorithm,” In: Floudas P.P.M. , editor. Encyclopedia of Optimization. (Springer, 2009), 725-735.