This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Drivetrain Analysis and Optimization of a Two-Speed Class-4 Electric Delivery Truck
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 18, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
The development, analysis, and comparison of battery electric class-4 medium-duty trucks equipped with three possible powertrain layouts, namely, direct drive, single-speed gearbox, and two-speed transmission options, are discussed in this paper. The problem definition is included and the performance evaluation criteria for the proposed truck architectures are defined, namely, acceleration time, top speed, and efficiency. Designs of four new traction motors are proposed and their benefits compared for use in medium-duty electric trucks (e-trucks). The procedure for gear-ratio range selection is outlined, the ranges of gear ratios for the single-speed gearbox and two-speed transmission powertrains being calculated for each of the proposed electric traction motors. The simulation and gear-ratio optimization tasks for the e-trucks are formulated. The energy consumption of the e-truck with the three possible powertrain combinations is minimized over the six driving cycles. The most efficient powertrain layouts that meet the performance criteria are determined.
CitationMorozov, A., Humphries, K., Rahman, T., Zou, T. et al., "Drivetrain Analysis and Optimization of a Two-Speed Class-4 Electric Delivery Truck," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5001, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5001.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
- Bouchard , S.
- Algrain , M. , Lane , W. , and Orr , D. A Case Study in the Electrification of Class-8 Trucks Electric Machines and Drives Conference, IEMDC’03, IEEE International Madison, Wisconsin, USA June 1-4, 2003 647 655
- Lee , D.Y. , Thomas , V.M. , and Brown , M. Electric Urban Delivery Trucks: Energy Use, Greenhouse Gas Emissions, and Cost-Effectiveness, American Chemical Society Publications Environmental Science Technology 47 8022 8030 2013
- Daw , C.S. , Graves , R.L. , Wagner , R.M. , and Caton , J.A. 2010
- Asl , H.A. , Azad , N.L. , and McPhee , J. Modeling Torque Converter Characteristics in Automatic Drivelines: Lockup Clutch and Engine Braking Simulation of the ASME 2012 Int. Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference IDETC/CIE 2014 Chicago, IL 2012
- Mantriota , G. and Pennestri , E. Theoretical and Experimental Efficiency Analysis of Multi-Degrees-of-Freedom Epicyclic Gear Trains Multibody System Dynamics 9 389 408 2003
- Lu , R. , Yang , A. , Xue , Y. , Xu , L. et al. Analysis of the Key Factors Affecting the Energy Efficiency of Batteries in Electric Vehicle World Electric Vehicle Journal 4
- Kirtley , J.L. 2011
- Xu , G. , Li , W. , Xu , K. , and Song , Z. An Intelligent Regenerative Braking Strategy for Electric Vehicles Energies 4 1461 1477 2011
- Zhang , J. , Lu , X. , Xue , J. , and Li , B. Regenerative Braking System for Series Hybrid Electric City Bus The World Electric Vehicle Journal 2
- Morozov , A. , Humphries , K. , Zou , T. , Martins , S. et al. Design and Optimization of a Drivetrain with Two-Speed Transmission for Electric Delivery Step Van IEEE International Electric Vehicle Conference IEVC 2014 Florence, Italy December 2014
- Trabish , H.
- Motiv Power Systems 2015 https://www.motivps.com/motivps/
- Kent , M. From Car Converter to Truck OEM Charged EV Magazine 10 54 59 2013
- Osborne , G.W.
- Osborne , G.
- Pollock , F. and Trombley , D.
- Deng , D. , Xu , J. , and Farkas , K.
- Jerew , B. Future Electric Vehicles may Have Multispeed Gearboxes The Green Optimistic Newsletter 2014
- Hanlon , M. New Multi-Speed Electric Vehicle Transmission Improves ev Performance and Range Gizmag Blog 2009
- Sorniotti , A. , Holdstock , T. , Pilone , G. , Viotto , F. et al. Analysis and Simulation of the Gearshift Methodology for a Novel Two-Speed Transmission System for Electric Powertrains with Central Motor Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 226 915 929 2012
- Ren , Q. , Crolla , D. , and Morris , A. Effect of Transmission Design on Electric Vehicle Performance Proceedings of the IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC) Dearborn, USA 2009
- Knowles , J. , Corne , D. , and Deb , K. Multiobjective Problem Solving from Nature: From Concepts to Applications Berlin Heidelberg Springer-Verlag 2008
- Masson , L. 2011
- Kent , M. The Independent Road Charge-Electric Vehicle Magazine 56 61 2016
- Morozov , A. , Humphries , K. , Zou , T. , and Angeles , J. Performance Evaluation Criteria for the Analysis of Class-4 Electric Truck Proceedings of the CSME 2016 International Congress Kelowna, BC, Canada June 26-29, 2016
- Humphries , K. 2015
- Husain , I. Electric and Hybrid Vehicles: Design Fundamentals 2nd CRC Press 2011
- Wood , E. , Burton , E. , Duran , A. , and Gonder , J. 2014
- Dahl , B. 2014
- Naunheimer , H. Automotive Transmissions. Fundamentals, Selection, Design and Application 2nd Berlin-Heidelberg Springer-Verlag 2011
- Walker , P.D. , Rahman , S.A. , Zhu , B. , and Zhang , N. Modelling, Simulations, and Optimisation of Electric Vehicles for Analysis of Transmission Ratio Selection Advances in Mechanical Engineering 2013
- TM4 2014
- TM4 2014
- EL-Refaie , A.M. and Jahns , T.M. Optimal Flux Weakening in pm Surface Machines Using Fractional-Slot Concentrated Windings IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 3 790 800 2005
- EL-Refaie , A.M. Fractional-Slot Concentrated-Windings Synchronous Permanent Magnet Machines: Opportunities and Challenges IEEE Transactions on Industry Electronics 1 107 121 2010
- El-Refaie , A.M. and Jahns , T.M. Scalability of Surface Mounted pm Machines with Concentrated Windings Designed to Achieve Wide Speed Ranges of Constant Power Operation IEEE Transactions on Energy and Conversion 2 362 369 2006
- Wang , J. , Yuan , X. , and Atallah , K. Design Optimization of a Surface-Mounted Permanent-Magnet Motor with Concentrated Windings for Electric Vehicle Applications IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 3 1053 1064 2013
- Hrabovcova , V. , Jokinen , T. , and Pyrhonen , J. Design of Rotating Electrical Machines 2nd Wiley 2014
- Motorsolve 2016
- Wipke , K.B. , Cuddy , M.R. , and Burch , S.D. ADVISOR 2.1: A User-Friendly Advanced Powertrain Simulation Using a Combined Backward/Forward Approach IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 6 1751 1761 1999
- Markel , T. , Brooker , A. , Hendricks , T. , Johnson , V. et al. ADVISOR: A Systems Analysis Tool for Advanced Vehicle Modeling Journal of Power Sources 2 255 266 2002
- Dhand , A. and Pullen , K.R. Simulation Based Study of Battery Electric Vehicle Performance in Real World Cycles International Journal of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles 4 327 343 2013
- Finkel , D.E. DIRECT Optimization Algorithm User Guide Raleigh Center for Research in Scientific Computation/North Carolina State University 2003
- Jones , D.R. Direct Global Optimization Algorithm Floudas P.P.M. Encyclopedia of Optimization Springer 2009 725 735