This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of an Autonomous Battery Electric Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 18, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
Autonomous vehicles have been shown to increase safety for drivers, passengers, and pedestrians and can also be used to maximize traffic flow, thereby reducing emissions and congestion. At the same time, governments around the world are promoting the usage of battery electric vehicles (BEVs) to reduce and control the emissions of CO2. This has made the development of autonomous vehicles and electric vehicles a very active research area and has prompted a significant amount of government funding.
This article presents the detailed design of a low-cost platform for the development of an autonomous electric vehicle. In particular, it focuses on the design of the electrical architecture and the control strategy, tailored around the usage of affordable sensors and actuators. The specifications of the components are extensively discussed in relation to the performance target. The aim is to provide a comprehensive guide for the development of the remotely controlled platform, in order to lower the entry barrier for the development of autonomous electric vehicles.
CitationCecotti, M., Larmine, J., Fellows, N., and Hayatleh, K., "Development of an Autonomous Battery Electric Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-5000, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-5000.
- NHTSA , “National Motor Vehicle Crash Causation Survey,” DOT HS 811 059, (DOT, 2008).
- Pawsey, A. and Nath, C. , POSTnote 443 - Autonomous Road Vehicles (UK: Parliamentary Office of Science & Technology, 2013).
- Lari, A., Douma, F., and Onyiah, I. , “Self-Driving Vehicles and Policy Implications: Current Status of Autonomous Vehicle Development and Minnesota Policy Implications,” Minnesota Journal of Law Science & Technology 16(2):735-769, 2015.
- Javadi, M.S., Habib, S., and Hannan, M.A. , “Survey on Inter-Vehicle Communication Applications: Current Trends and Challenges,” Information Technology Journal 12:243-250, 2013.
- DARPA Grand Challenge, http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge/index.asp, accessed on 2 October 2010.
- Currier, P.N. , “VictorTango Architecture for Autonomous Navigation in the DARPA Urban Challenge,” Journal of Aerospace Computing, Information and Communication 5(12):506-529, 2008.
- Zhao, P., Chen, J., Song, Y. et al. , “Design of a Control System for an Autonomous Vehicle Based on Adaptive-PID,” International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems 9:44, 2012.
- Chan, C. C., and Wong, Y. S. , “The State of the Art of Electric Vehicles Technology”, presented at International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (IPEMC), Xi’an, China, August 2004, 46-57.
- Wansart, J., and Schnieder, E. , “Modelling Market Development of Electric Vehicles,” presented at IEEE International Systems Conference, San Diego, USA, April 2010, 371-376.
- Hodkinson, R. and Fenton, J. , Lightweight Electric/Hybrid Vehicle Design (Butterworth-Heinemann Ltd, 2001).
- Husain, I. , Electric and Hybrid Vehicles: Design Fundamentals (CRC Press, 2010).
- YASA Motors Website, http://www.yasamotors.com, accessed on 3 September 2015.
- GM Powertrain Website, http://gmpowertrain.com, accessed on 2 January 2013
- Duleep, G., van Essen, H., Kampman, B., and Grünig, M. , “Impacts of Electric Vehicles - Assessment of Electric Vehicle and Battery Technology”, (CE Delft, 2011)
- Sakai, S., Sado, H., and Hori, Y. , “Motion Control in an Electric Vehicle with Four Independently Driven In-Wheel Motors,” IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics 4(1):9-16, 1999.
- Shino, M., Miyamoto, N., Wang, Y.-Q., and Nagai M. , “Traction Control of Electric Vehicles Considering Vehicle Stability,” presented at 6th International Workshop on Advanced Motion Control, Nagoya, Japan, April 2000, 311-316.
- Fujimoto, H., Fujii, k., and Takahashi, N. , “Vehicle Stability Control of Electric Vehicle with Slip-ratio and Cornering Stiffness Estimation,” presented at IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Zurich, Switzerland, September 2007, 1 -6.
- Hori, Y. , “Future Vehicle Driven by Electricity and Control - Research on Four-Wheel-Motored,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 51(5):954-962, 2004.
- Hori, Y., Toyoda, Y., and Tsuruoka, Y. , “Traction Control of Electric Vehicle: Basic Experimental Results Using the Test - EV UOT Electric March,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 34(5):1131-1138, 1998.
- Sado, H., Sakai, S., and Hori, Y. , “Road Condition Estimation for Traction Control in Electric Vehicle,” presented at IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), Bled, Slovenia, July 1999, 2, 973-978.
- Ehsani, M., Gao, Y., and Emadi, A. , Modern Electric, Hybrid Electric, and Fuel Cell Vehicles: Fundamentals, Theory, and Design 2nd Edition (CRC Press, 2009).
- Khan, I. , “Emerging Technologies in Automobiles”, presented at International Conference on Emerging Technologies, Peshawar, Pakistan, November 2006, 368-377.
- Larminie, J. and Lowry, J. , Electric Vehicle Technology Explained (Wiley, 2003).
- Autoblog, http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/08/gm-li-ion-battery-cost-per-kwh-already-down-to-145, accessed 8 June 2016.
- XALT Energy, http://www.xaltenergy.com/index.php/solutions/technology/cells, accessed 8 June 2016.
- Thomas, G. , “Overview of Storage Development DOE Hydrogen Program,” presented at US DOE Hydrogen Program 2000 Annual Review, San Ramon, USA, May 2000.
- Grahn, P., and Söder, L. , “The Customer Perspective of the Electric Vehicles Role on the Electricity Market,” 8th presented at International Conference on the European Energy Market (EEM), Zagreb, Croatia, May 2011, 141-148.
- Grünig, M., Witte, M., Boteler, B. et al. , Impacts of Electric Vehicles - Assessment of the Future Electricity Sector (CE Delft, 2011).
- NI CompactRIO High-Performance Real-Time Controllers, http://www.ni.com/datasheet/pdf/en/ds-201, accessed on 7 September 2017
- NI cRIO-9012/9014, http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374126g.pdf, accessed on 7 September 2017
- NI cRIO-9101/9102/9103/9104, http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371559c.pdf, accessed on 7 September 2017
- NI 9205, http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/378020a_02.pdf, accessed on 7 September 2017
- NI 9403, http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374069a_02.pdf, accessed on 7 September 2017
- NI 9401, http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374068a_02.pdf, accessed on 7 September 2017
- NI 9853, http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371453e.pdf, accessed on 7 September 2017
- Norton, R. , Design of Machinery: And Introduction to the Synthesis and Analysis of Mechanisms and Machines (McGraw-Hill Higher Education, 2008).
- Craig, J.J. , Introduction to Robotics: Mechanics and Control 3rd Edition (Prentice Hall, 2008).
- Spong, M.W., Hutchinson, S., and Vidyasagar, M. , Robot Modelling and Control (Wiley, 2005).
- Wu, F., Gao, H., Sun, L. et al. , “Suppression of Gate Oscillation of Power MOSFET with Bridge Topology”, presented at 6th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation (China: Dalian, 2006), 8196-8182.
- Bolton, W. , Control Engineering (Longman, 1998).
- Bose, B.K. , Power Electronics and Variable Frequency Drives: Technology and Applications (Wiley-IEEE Press, 1997).
- Cecotti, M., Larminie, J., and Azzopardi, B. , “Estimation of Slip Ratio and Road Characteristics by Adding Perturbation to the Input Torque”, presented at ICVES, Istanbul, Turkey, July, 2013.