This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Imaging and Simulation of Oil Transport Phenomena in the Upper Piston Skirt Region
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The oil transport phenomena in the chamfer beneath the oil control ring of a piston in a motored engine were investigated with a combined experimental-numerical approach. High-speed laser-induced fluorescence was used to visualize the oil distribution crank-angle-resolved on both thrust side and anti-thrust side of an optically accessible single cylinder engine. Corresponding three-dimensional volume-of-fluid CFD simulations were calibrated with the experiment and then utilized to analyze the cross sectional flows in the chamfer. Phenomena triggered by inertial forces and the lateral piston motion, e.g. oil transport from the piston to the liner (bridging) and the formation of a circular flow in the chamfer, are described in detail.
CitationSchöler, J., Schiefer, S., Wigger, S., Füßer, H. et al., "Imaging and Simulation of Oil Transport Phenomena in the Upper Piston Skirt Region," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2359, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2359.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Thirouard, B. and T. Tian, "Oil Transport in the Piston Ring Pack (Part I): Identification and Characterization of the Main Oil Transport Routes and Mechanisms", SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1952, 2003, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1952.
- Yilmaz, E., T. Tian, V.W. Wong, and J.B. Heywood, "The Contribution of Different Oil Consumption Sources to Total Oil Consumption in a Spark Ignition Engine", SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2909, 2004, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2909.
- Vokac, A. and T. Tian, "An Experimental Study of Oil Transport on the Piston Third Land and the Effects of Piston and Ring Designs", SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1934, 2004, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1934.
- Zanghi, E. and T. Tian, "Development of a High Speed Laser Induced Fluorescence (HSLIF) System in a Single Cylinder Engine for Oil Transport Studies", SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0642, 2016, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0642.
- Ichinose, S., K. Iwade, and Y. Hata, "Oil Flow in Piston Oil Ring Groove", SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1670, 2014, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1670.
- Senzer, E.B., "Oil transport inside the oil control ring grove and its interaction with surrounding areas in internal combustion engines", Dissertation, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 2012.
- Tian, T., V.W. Wong, and J.B. Heywood, "Modeling the Dynamics and Lubrication of Three Piece Oil Control Rings in Internal Combustion Engines", SAE Technical Paper 982657, 1998, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/982657.
- Liu, Y., Y. Li, and T. Tian, "Development and Application of Ring-Pack Model Integrating Global and Local Processes. Part 2: Ring-Liner Lubrication". SAE International Journal of Engines, 10(4):1969-1983, 2017, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1047.
- Puthiya Veettil, M. and F. Shi, "CFD Analysis of Oil/Gas Flow in Piston Ring-Pack", SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1406, 2011, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1406.
- Bai, D., "Modeling Piston Skirt Lubrication in Internal Combustion Engines", Dissertation, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 2012.
- Baelden, C., "A multi-scale model for piston ring dynamics, lubrication and oil transport in internal conbustion engines", Dissertation, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 2014.
- Thirouard, B., "Characterization and modeling of the fundamental aspects of oil transport in the piston ring pack of internal combustion engines", Dissertation, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 2001.
- Picard, M., et al., "Visualization of the Rotary Engine Oil Transport Mechanisms". SAE International Journal of Engines, 7(3):1477-1488, 2014, doi: https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1665.
- Mueller, T., S. Wigger, H.-J. Fuesser, and S. Kaiser, "Development of a LIF-Imaging System for Simultaneous High-Speed Visualization of Liquid Fuel and Oil Films in an Optically Accessible DISI Engine", SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0634, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0634.
- Assor, Y., Z. Burshtein, and S. Rosenwaks, "Spectroscopy and laser characteristics of copper-vapor-laser pumped Pyrromethene-556 and Pyrromethene-567 dye solutions". Applied Optics, 37(21):4914-4920, 1998, doi:https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.37.004914.
- Semrock . "Theoretical Spectrum for Part Number: BLP01-532R". https://www.semrock.com/filterdetails.aspx?id=blp01-532r-25. accessed November 11, 2018
- Müller, T., “Simultane Visualisierung von Öl- und Kraftstoffschichten in der Kolbengruppe eines direkteinspritzenden Ottomotors durch laserinduzierte Fluoreszenz”, Dissertation, Institute for Combustion and Gas Dynamics, University of Duisburg-Essen, Duisburg, 2019 (To be published).
- Wigger, S., “Charakterisierung von Öl- und Kraftstoffschichten in der Kolbengruppe mittels laserinduzierter Fluoreszenz”, Dissertation, Institute for Combustion and Gas Dynamics, University of Duisburg-Essen, Duisburg, 2014.
- Weller, H.G., G. Tabor, H. Jasak, and C. Fureby, “A tensorial approach to computational continuum mechanics using object-oriented techniques”. Computers in Physics, 12(6):620-631, 1998, doi:https://doi.org/10.1063/1.168744.
- Przesmitzki, S., A. Vokac, and T. Tian, “An Experimental Study of Oil Transport between the Piston Ring Pack and Cylinder Liner”, SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3823, 2005, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3823.