This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Ring Conformability under Bore Deformation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This study proposes a method to calculate the limit of piston ring conformability to deformed bore based on measured gas leakage flow rate through ring-bore gap and calculated gap area using a test device that allows the creation of arbitrary bore deformation. As a result, it was clarified that predicted conformability can be matched with measured value by modifying a constant value in the conformability equation for a single order bore deformation proposed by Dunaevsky and Tomanik et al. Furthermore, it has been confirmed experimentally that the conformability limit index ∑U for the complex bore deformation proposed by Tomanik is valid. Using ∑U, area of gap between piston ring and deformed bore under engine operating condition was calculated to derive the relationship between blow-by gas flow rate.
CitationSuzuki, T. and Yaguchi, H., "Study on Ring Conformability under Bore Deformation," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2334, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2334.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- H. Hitosugi, “Study on Mechanism of Lubricating Oil Consumption Caused by Cylinder Bore Deformation,” SAE paper 960305
- E, Tomanik, “Piston Ring Conformability in a Distorted Bore,” SAE paper 960356.
- T. Bardzimashvili, “A Multiple Order Conformability Model for Uniform Cross-Section Piston Rings,” SAE paper 2005-01-1643.
- R. Muller, “Zur frage des fomuellungsvermoegens von kolbenringen in von der kreisform abweichenden bohrungen gleicher umfanglaenge,” MTZ, Vol31, pp.79-82, 1970.
- V. V. Dunaevsky, “Analysis of distortions of cylinder and conformability of piston rings,” Tribology Transactions, Vol.33, No.1, pp.33-40, 1990.
- S, Furuhama, “On the Flow of Gas Through the Piston-Rings(1st Report, The Coefficient and Temperature of Leakage Gas),” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.27, No 174, pp.240-247, 1961.
- E, Tomanik, “Improved Criterion for Ring Conformability Under Realistic Bore Deformation,” SAE paper 2009-01-190
- S, Ichinose, “Development of Measurement System for Cylinder Bore Shape under Operation using the New Digital Telemeter,” Proceeding of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, 2018.