This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Flame Characteristics under Conditions of Stratified Flame Ignition Hybrid Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In Spark Ignition (SI)-Controlled Auto Ignition (CAI) hybrid combustion, the in-cylinder temperature and total mass of dilution charge are usually increased compared to the traditional SI engine in order to achieve and control the auto-ignition combustion, which would in turn lead to the variations of the diluted flame propagation combustion. In this study, the optical measurements were performed to understand the flame characteristics at highly diluted conditions. The results showed that the decrease of the flame propagation speed of rich mixture was less than that of lean mixture at highly diluted conditions. However, the inhomogeneous distribution of residual gas led to asymmetric development of flame propagation. The high temperature, strong dilution and rich mixture created local auto-ignition sites which were located in front of the main flame and gradually merged with the main flame. This phenomenon could increase the flame propagation speed in a specific direction and improve the heat release stability effectively.
- Jian Niu - State Key Laboratory of Engines, Tianjin University
- Tao Chen - State Key Laboratory of Engines, Tianjin University
- Hui Xie - State Key Laboratory of Engines, Tianjin University
- Yuan Yao - State Key Laboratory of Engines, Tianjin University
- Kang Song - State Key Laboratory of Engines, Tianjin University
- Xinyan Wang - Brunel University London
- Hua Zhao - Brunel University London
CitationNiu, J., Chen, T., Xie, H., Yao, Y. et al., "Study on Flame Characteristics under Conditions of Stratified Flame Ignition Hybrid Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2316, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2316.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Wang X. , Zhao H. , Xie H. Effect of piston shapes and fuel injection strategies on stoichiometric stratified flame ignition (SFI) hybrid combustion in a PFI/DI gasoline engine by numerical simulations[J] Energy Conversion and Management 2015 98 387 400
- Xie Hui , Yang Lin , Qin Jing , et al.
- Zhang Yan , Xie Hui , Zhao Hua Investigation of SI-HCCI hybrid combustion and control strategies for combustion mode switching in a four-stroke gasoline engine[J] Combustion Science & Technology 2009 181 5 799 782
- Yamashita H. , Narahara K. , Tanaka T. , et al 2016
- Wang Xinyan , Xie Hui , Li Le , et al. Effect of the thermal stratification on SI-CAI hybrid combustion in a gasoline engine[J] Applied Thermal Engineering 2013 61 2 451 460
- L.I. Hongtao , Xie Hui , Chen Tao , et al. Study on the Influence of Fuel Injection Strategy on Layered Flame Ignition and Mixing Combustion[J] Journal of Internal Combustion Engine 2017 2 112 117
- Heywood , JohnB Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals[M] McGraw-Hill 1988
- Xie Hui , Xu Kang , Wan Minggang , et al. Investigations into the influence of internal and external exhaust gas recirculation on the combustion stability in an optical gasoline spark ignition engine Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering 229 11 2015
- Persson , H. , Pfeiffer , R. , Hultqvist , A. , et al. Cylinder-to-Cylinder and Cycle-to-Cycle Variations at HCCI Operation with Trapped Residuals SAE 2005 World Congress & Exhibition .2005-01-0130
- Xie H. , Lu J. , Chen T. , et al. Chemical effects of the incomplete-oxidation products in residual gas on the gasoline HCCI auto-ignition Combust Sci Technol 2014 186 3 273 296
- Feng Yifang , Xie Hui , et al. Mechanism of turbulent motion in the cylinder on the activity distribution of composite combustion fuel [J] Journal of Experiments in Fluid Mechanics 10.11729/syltlx
- Aleiferis P.G. , Taylor A.M.K.P. , Ishii K. , et al. The nature of early flame development in a lean-burn stratifiedcharge spark-ignition engine[J] Combustion & Flame 2004 136 3 283 302
- Ihracska B. , Korakianitis T. , Ruiz P. , et al. Assessment of elliptic flame front propagation characteristics of isooctane, gasoline, M85 and E85 in an optical engine[J] Combustion & Flame 2014 161 3 696 710
- Zhang Bo , Fu Weibiao Experimental Study on Flame Propagation Velocity of Dimethyl Ether[J] Journal of Combustion Science and Technology 2005 11 2 163 166
- Shang Weige , Fan Shuixing , Zhang Jiaxin , et al. Experimental Study on Flame Propagation Velocity of Methanol, Gasoline and Methanol/Gasoline-Air Laminar Flow[J] Journal of Harbin Engineering University 1992 4 359 364