This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Wall Heat Transfer Modeling Based on the Energy Equation For Zero Dimensional Engine Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
It was important for predicting wall heat flux to apply wall heat transfer model by taking into account of the behavior of turbulent kinetic energy and density change in wall boundary layer. Although energy equation base wall heat transfer model satisfied above requirements, local physical amounts such as turbulent kinetic energy in near wall region should be applied. In this study, in order to predict wall heat transfer by zero dimensional analysis, how to express wall heat transfer by using mean physical amounts in engine combustion chamber was considered by experimental and numerical approaches.
CitationHarada, Y., Uchida, K., and Yamashita, H., "Wall Heat Transfer Modeling Based on the Energy Equation For Zero Dimensional Engine Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2313, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2313.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Fujimoto, H., Yamamoto, H., Fujimoto, M. and Yamashita, H., A study on improvement of indicated thermal efficiency of ICE using high compression ratio and reduction of cooling loss, SAE Paper, No. 2011-01-1872 (2011).
- Yamashita, H., Fujimoto, H., Fujimoto, M., Tanaka, T. and Yamamoto, H., Thermal efficiency improvement by increasing compression ratio and reducing cooling loss, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Modeling and Combustion in internal combustion engines (COMODIA) 2012 (2012), pp. 36-42.
- Launder, B.E. and Spalding, D.B., The numerical computation of turbulent flows, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol.3 (1974), pp.269-289.
- Angelberger, C., Poinsot, T., Delhay, B., Improving near-wall combustion and wall heat transfer modeling in SI engine computations, SAE Paper, No. 972881 (1997).
- Han, Z. and Reitz, R.D., A temperature wall function formulation for variable-density turbulent flows with application to engine convective heat transfer modeling, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol.40, No.3 (1997), pp.613-625.
- Saric, S. and Basara, B., A hybrid wall heat transfer model for IC engine simulations, SAE Paper, No. 2015-01-0388 (2015).
- Huh, K.Y., Chang, I.P. and Martin, J.K., A comparison of boundary layer treatments for heat transfer in IC engines, SAE Paper, No. 900252 (1990).
- Nijeweme, D., Kok, J., Stone, C. and Wyszynski, L., Unsteady in-cylinder heat transfer in a spark ignition engine: experiments and modeling, Proceedings of Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D: Journal of Automotive Engineering 2001, Vol.215 (2001), pp.747-760.
- Rakopoulos, C.D., Kosmadakis, G.M. and Pariotis, E.G., Critical evaluation of current heat transfer models used in CFD in-cylinder engine simulations and establishment of a comprehensive wall-function formulation, Applied Energy, Vol.87, No.5 (2010), pp.1612-1630.
- Wang, Z., Wang, Y., and Reitz, R.D., Pressure oscillation and chemical kinetics coupling during knock processes in gasoline engine combustion, Energy Fuels, Vol.26, No.12 (2012), pp.7107-7119.
- Ma C P., Greene M., Sick V. and Ihme M. Non-equilibrium wall-modeling for internal combustion engine simulations with wall heat transfer, International Journal of Engine Research Vol.18, No.1-2 (2017), pp.15-25.
- Harada, Y., Uchida, K., Tanaka, T., Sato, K., Qianjin, Z., Fujimoto, H., Yamashita, H. and Tanahashi, M., Wall heat transfer of undeveloped turbulent flow in internal combustion engines, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Modeling and Combustion in internal combustion engines (COMODIA) 2017 (2017), No. 204.
- Shimura, M., Yoshida, S., Minamoto, Y., Yokomori, T., Iwamoto, K., Tanahashi, M. and Kosaka, H., Micro PIV investigation of near wall behaviors of tumble enhanced flow in an IC engine, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Modeling and Combustion in internal combustion engines (COMODIA) 2017 (2017), No. A205.
- Eichelberg, G., Some New Investigations on Old Combustion Engine Problems, Engineering, No.148 (1939), pp.547-550.
- Woschni, G.A., Universally applicable equation for the instantaneous heat transfer coefficient in the internal combustion engine, SAE Paper, No. 670931 (1967).
- Annand, W.J.D. and Ma, T.H., Instantaneous heat transfer rates to the cylinder head surface of a small compression-ignition engine, Proceedings of Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.185 (1970), pp 976-987.
- Hohenberg, G.F., Advanced approaches for heat transfer calculations, SAE Paper, No. 790825 (1979).
- Depcik, C. and Assanis, D., A Universal heat transfer correlation for intake and exhaust flows in a spark-ignition internal combustion engine, SAE Paper, No. 2002-01-0372 (2002).
- Chang, J., Güralp, O., Filipi, Z. and Assanis, D., New heat transfer correlation for an HCCI engine derived from measurements of instantaneous surface heat flux, SAE Paper, No. 2004-01-2996 (2004).
- Schubert, C., Wimmer, A. and Chmela, F., Advanced heat transfer model for CI engines, SAE Paper, No. 2005-01-0695 (2005).
- Nefischer, A. and Hallmannsegger, M., Wimmer, A., and Pirker, G., Application of a flow field based heat transfer model to hydrogen internal combustion engine, SAE Paper, No. 2009-01-1423 (2009).
- Boust, B., Sotton, J. and Bellenoue, M., A novel physical approach for wall heat transfer in internal combustion engines, SAE Paper, No. 2007-24-0027 (2007).
- Suzuki, T., Oguri, Y. and Yoshida, M., Heat transfer in the internal combustion engines, SAE Paper, No. 2000-01-0300 (2000).
- Pope, S.B., Turbulent flows, Cambridge University Press (2000).
- Reynolds, W.C., Computation of turbulent flows, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, Vol.8 (1976), pp.183-208.
- Harada, Y., Tanaka, T., Nakao Y., Fukube T., Aoki, O. and Yamashita, H., Effect of wall heat insulation on wall heat transfer mechanism in rapid compression and expansion environment, Transactions of JSME (in Japanese), Vol.84, No,858 (2018), pp.1-15.