This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of cutting fluid on reliability of threaded fastener joints
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This study reports on the effect of cutting fluids on friction behavior of the threaded fasteners. Underhead and thread friction are measured during tightening process of the hex-head threaded fasteners coated with different zinc-based coatings: electroplated zinc, zinc flake, and electroplated zinc nickel, commonly used in the automotive industry. The tests and data analysis are conducted considering ISO 16047 as a baseline. Test conditions are set close to the actual production conditions found in the motor vehicle industry. Water-based and ester-based cutting fluids are selected to unveil their impact on the reliability of the threaded fastener joints. It is shown that a change in the underhead interface conditions from dry to lubricated drastically reduces friction for the electroplated zinc and zinc nickel coatings.
CitationKumar, M., Persson, E., and Glavatskih, S., "Influence of cutting fluid on reliability of threaded fastener joints," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2300, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2300.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- ISO SS-EN ISO 4017: Fasteners - Hexagon head screws - Product grades A and B. 2014
- ISO SS-EN ISO 4032: Hexagon nuts, style 1 - Product grades A and B 2013
- ISO SS-EN ISO 4042: Fasteners - Electroplated coatings 1999
- ISO SS-EN ISO 16047: Fasteners - Torque/clamp force testing. 2005
- COVENTYA TOP COAT 2019 https://www.coventya.com/us/products/protective/top-coat/
- DÖRKEN TOPCOATS. 2019 https://www.doerken-mks.de/en/coating-solutions/zinc-flake/topcoats/
- ISO SS-EN 10149-2: Hot rolled flat products made of high yield strength steels for cold forming 2013
- ISO SS-ISO 273: Fasteners - Clearance holes for bolts and screws 1979
- BINOL QUAKERCOOL 3750 BFF 2019 https://www.binol.com/product/quakercool-3750-bff/
- BINOL BINOL CUT 8 (QUAKERCUT® 008 XP) 2019 https://en.binol.com/product/binol-cut-8/
- ISO SS-EN ISO 898-1: Mechanical properties of fasteners made of carbon steel and alloy steel - Part 1: Bolts, screws and studs with specified property classes - Coarse thread and fine pitch thread 2009
- KELLERMANN , R. KLEIN H.-C. Konstruktion 1955 Berlin/Göttingen/Heidelberg Springer-Verlag