This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Particulate Matter Formation in a Diesel Engine Using In-Cylinder Total Sampling and Thermal Desorption-GCMS/Carbon Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In-cylinder total sampling technique utilizing a single-cylinder diesel engine equipped with hydraulic valve actuation system has been developed. In this study, particulate matter (PM) included in the in-cylinder sample gas was collected on a quartz filter, and the polycyclic-aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) component and soot were subsequently quantified by thermal desorption-gas chromatograph mass spectrometry (TD-GCMS) and a carbon analyzer, respectively. Cylinder-averaged histories of PAHs and soot were obtained by changing the sampling timing. It was found that decreasing intake oxygen concentration suppresses in-cylinder soot oxidation, and the fuel with higher aromatic and naphthenic contents accelerates soot production.
- Shinya Furukawa - Isuzu Advanced Engineering Center, Ltd.
- Hirotaka Suzuki - Isuzu Advanced Engineering Center, Ltd.
- Keiko Shibata - Isuzu Advanced Engineering Center, Ltd.
- Hiroaki Saito - Isuzu Advanced Engineering Center, Ltd.
- Kazuya Miyashita - Isuzu Advanced Engineering Center, Ltd.
- Yoshinori Ishii - Isuzu Advanced Engineering Center, Ltd.
- Naoki Shimazaki - Isuzu Advanced Engineering Center, Ltd.
CitationFurukawa, S., Suzuki, H., Shibata, K., Saito, H. et al., "Investigation of Particulate Matter Formation in a Diesel Engine Using In-Cylinder Total Sampling and Thermal Desorption-GCMS/Carbon Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2276, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2276.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- J. Hoard , M. Abarham , D. Styles , J.M. Giuliano , C.S. Sluder , and J. M. E. Storey Diesel EGR Cooler Fouling SAE paper, 2008-01-2475 (2008)
- C.S. Sluder , J.M.E. Storey , S.A. Lewis , D. Styles , J. Giuliano , and J. W. Hoard Hydrocarbons and Particulate Matter in EGR Cooler Deposits: Effects of Gas Flow Rate, Coolant Temperature, and Oxidation Catalyst SAE paper, 2008-01-2467 (2008)
- M. Abarham , J. Hoard , D. Assanis , D. Styles , E.W. Curtis , and N. Ramesh Review of Soot Deposition and Removal Mechanisms in EGR Coolers SAE paper, 2010-01-1221 (2010)
- A. Warey , S. Balestrino , P. Szymkowicz , and M.R. Malayeri A One-Dimensional Model for Particulate Deposition and Hydrocarbon Condensation in Exhaust Gas Recirculation Coolers Aerosol Sci. Technol. 46 198 (2012)
- http://www.enecho.meti.go.jp/category/others/koudokahou/ http://www.enecho.meti.go.jp/en/category/others/basic_plan/5th/pdf/strategic_energy_plan.pdf
- J.B. Heywood Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Book 626 (1988)
- H. Richter , and J.B. Howard Formation of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons and their growth to soot-A Review of Chemical Reaction Pathways Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 26 565 (2000)
- H.W. Wang Formation of Nascent Soot and Other Condensed-Phase Materials in Flames Proc. Combust. Inst. 33 41 (2000)
- G.K. Lilik , C.J. Mueller , C.E. Dumitrescu , and C.R. Gehrke The Visualization of Soot Late in the Diesel Combustion Process by Laser Induced Incandescence with a Vertical Laser Sheet SAE paper, 2015-01-0801 2015
- T. Kamimoto , N. Uchida , T. Aizawa , K. Kondo , and T. Kuboyama Diesel Flame Imaging and Quantitative Analysis of In-Cylinder Soot Oxidation Int. J Engine Research 18 422 (2017)
- D.B. Kittelson , M.J. Pipho , J.L. Ambs , and L. Luo In-Cylinder Measurements of Soot Production in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine SAE paper, 880344 (1988)
- T. Maruyama , Y. Sato , K. Endo , T. Tsukamoto , and T. Aizawa In-Cylinder GDI Soot via Visualization and Time-Resolved Total Cylinder Sampling SAR paper, 2019-01-0037 (2019)
- T. Ishiyama , K. Miwa , and A. Kanno Experimental Study on Fuel Air Mixture Formation and Ignition Process in Diesel Combustion Int. Sympo. COMODIA 90 585 (1990)
- R.J. Donahue , G.L. Borman , and G.R. Bower Cylinder-Averaged Histories of Nitrogen Oxide in a D.I. Diesel with Simulated Turbocharging SAE paper, 942046 1994
- K. Nishida , S. Akiba , K. Hirabayashi , K. Marushita , and W. Zhang Combustion and Emission Formation Processed in D. I. Diesel Engine under Various Injection Strategies FISITA No. P278 (2006)
- X. Wang , C. Song , G. Lv , J. Song , H. Li ,and B. Li Evolution of In-Cylinder Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in a Diesel Engine Fueled with n-Heptane and n-Heptane/Toluene Fuel 158 322 (2015)
- H. Hiroyasu , H. Oda , K. Nishida , M. Suzuki , S. Yoshikawa , and M. Arai Analysis of Emission Formation Process in a D. I. Diesel Engine by Total In-Cylinder Sampling (1st Report, Effect of L/D of Nozzle Hole and Piston Cavity Diameter) Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng. B 63 730 1997
- S. Furukawa , H. Suzuki , K. Enya , Y. Ishii , and N. Shimazaki Cylincer-Averaged Soot Formation Analysis in Diesel Engine by Using In-Cylinder Gas Sampling Method (in Japanese) Proc. 27th Internal Combustion Engine Sympo., Japan, No. 17 (2016)
- R. Kitabatake , A. Minato , N. Inukai , and N. Shimazaki Simultaneous Improvement of Fuel Consumption and Exhaust Emissions on a Multi-Cylinder Camless Engine SAE paper, 2011-01-0937 (2011)
- K. Shibata , N. Yanagisawa , Y. Tashiro , T. Mukunashi , T. Onodera , and K. Sakamoto Reduction in the Emissions and Toxicity of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons form a Heavy-duty Diesel Engine with the Latest Aftertreatment Devices J. Heath Sci. 56 31 (2010)
- J.C. Chow , J.G.W. atson , D.H. Lowenthal , and T. Merrifield Comparison of IMPROVE and NIOSH Carbon Measurements Aerosol Sci. and Tech. 34 23 (2001)
- H. Iki , and Y. Iguchi Development of Bio Hydro-fined Diesel (BHD) Technology: Hdrodeoxygenation of Palm Oil and Adaptability of BHD for Diesel Fuel J. Japan Petroleum Institute 55 349 (2012)
- Y. Sogawa , Y. Manai , M. Tanaka , J. Kawai , N. Kono ,and T. Watanabe Evaluation of influence of fuel composition on Latest Diesel Vehicle (in Japanese) Proc. Petroleum Products Discussion Meeting 43 (2014)
- R. Christian , F. Knopf , A. Jaschek , and W. Schindler A New Method for the Filter Smoke Number Measurement with Improved Sensitivity MTZ 54 16 (1993)
- S. Kubo , H. Inagaki , A. Fukumoto , A. Takatori , T. Kondoh , T. Mituoka , N. Suzuki ,and M. Inoue In-cylinder Soot Formation Mechanism (in Japanese) Proc. 43rd Sympo (Jpn.) Combustion, Japan 100 (2005)
- Y. Wang , A. Raj , and S. Chung A PAH growth mechanism and synergistic effect on PAH formation in counterflow diffusion flames Combustion and Flame 160 1667 (2013)
- D. Das , C. McEnally , T. Kwan , J. Zimmerman , W. Cannella , C. Mueller ,and L. Pfefferle Sooting tendencies of diesel fuels, jet fuels, and their surrogates in diffusion flames Fuel 197 445 (2017)