This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Tab Cooling on Large-Format Lithium-Ion Pouch Cells
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Battery thermal management systems can extend service life time while operating Lithium-ion batteries in hot and humid climates. To study thermal and electrochemical behaviors of a large format cell for the tab cooling method, this paper presents a Dual Potential Multi-Scale Multi-Domain (MSMD) approach using the equivalent circuit model in ANSYS Fluent software. A pouch cell of 25 Ah consists of N1/3Mn1/3Co1/3O2 (NMC) cathode and graphite anode is used for the model validation. The simulation results present the effect of tab cooling temperature at different discharge rates as well as the effect of the cell surface area and its thickness.
CitationTheinglim, K. and Poramapojana, P., "Effect of Tab Cooling on Large-Format Lithium-Ion Pouch Cells," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2261, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2261.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Ramadass, P. , B. Haran, R. White, and B.N. Popov, Capacity fade of Sony 18650 cells cycled at elevated temperatures: Part I. Cycling performance. Journal of Power Sources, 2002. 112(2): p. 606-613.
- Mengyan, Z. , X. Jinhong, O. Jian, W. Shuangfeng, and W. Xiaolan . Investigation of temperature performance of Lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles. in 2014 IEEE Conference and Expo Transportation Electrification Asia-Pacific (ITEC Asia-Pacific). 2014.
- Liu, H. , Z. Wei, W. He, and J. Zhao , Thermal issues about Li-ion batteries and recent progress in battery thermal management systems: A review. Energy Conversion and Management, 2017. 150: p. 304-330.
- Wang, Q., B. Jiang, Q.F. Xue, H.L. Sun, B. Li, H.M. Zou, and Y.Y. Yan , Experimental investigation on EV battery cooling and heating by heat pipes. Applied Thermal Engineering, 2015. 88: p. 54-60.
- Cen, J., Z. Li, and F. Jiang , Experimental investigation on using the electric vehicle air conditioning system for lithium-ion battery thermal management. Energy for Sustainable Development, 2018. 45: p. 88-95.
- Xie, J., Z. Ge, M. Zang, and S. Wang , Structural optimization of lithium-ion battery pack with forced air cooling system. Applied Thermal Engineering, 2017. 126: p. 583-593.
- Qian, Z., Y. Li, and Z. Rao , Thermal performance of lithium-ion battery thermal management system by using mini-channel cooling. Energy Conversion and Management, 2016. 126: p. 622-631.
- Panchal, S., R. Khasow, I. Dincer, M. Agelin-Chaab, R. Fraser, and M. Fowler , Thermal design and simulation of mini-channel cold plate for water cooled large sized prismatic lithium-ion battery. Applied Thermal Engineering, 2017. 122: p. 80-90.
- Malik, M., I. Dincer, M.A. Rosen, M. Mathew, and M. Fowler , Thermal and electrical performance evaluations of series connected Li-ion batteries in a pack with liquid cooling. Applied Thermal Engineering, 2018. 129: p. 472-481.
- Ping, P., R. Peng, D. Kong, G. Chen, and J. Wen , Investigation on thermal management performance of PCM-fin structure for Li-ion battery module in high-temperature environment. Energy Conversion and Management, 2018. 176: p. 131-146.
- Wu, W., W. Wu, and S. Wang , Thermal optimization of composite PCM based large-format lithium-ion battery modules under extreme operating conditions. Energy Conversion and Management, 2017. 153: p. 22-33.
- Hunt, I.A.. , Y. Zhao, Y. Patel, and J. Offer , Surface Cooling Causes Accelerated Degradation Compared to Tab Cooling for Lithium-Ion Pouch Cells. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 2016. 163: p. A 1846 - A 1852.
- Bazinski, S.J.. and X. Wang , Thermal Effect of Cooling the Cathode Grid Tabs of a Lithium-Ion Pouch Cell. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 2014. 161: p. A 2168 - A 2174.
- Zhao, Y., Y. Patel, T. Zhang, and G.J. Offer , Modeling the Effects of Thermal Gradients Induced by Tab and Surface Cooling on Lithium Ion Cell Performance. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 2018. 165(13): p. A3169-A3178.
- Chen, M. and G.A. Rincon-Mora , Accurate Electrical Battery Model Capable of Predicting Runtime and I-V Performance. Energy Conversion and Management, 2006. 21(2): p. 504-511.
- Ji, Y., Y. Zhang, and C.-Y. Wang , Li-Ion Cell Operation at Low Temperatures. Journal of The Electrochemical Society 2013. 160(4): p. A636-A649.
- Taheri, P., M. Yazdanpour, and M. Bahrami , Transient three-dimensional thermal model for batteries with thin electrodes. Journal of Power Sources, 2013. 243: p. 280-289.