This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Detection of engine knock using speed oscillations in a single-cylinder spark-ignition engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In the present work, the possibility of engine knock detection is investigated based on in-cycle speed data, which is readily available to the ECU. Experiments were conducted at 3000 rpm with wide-open throttle condition in a single-cylinder, air-cooled, port-fuel-injection spark-ignition engine at different levels of knocking. It was found that amplitude of speed oscillations increased with the knock intensity for considered window with the size of 100 crank angle degree, starting from the top dead center of compression. The proposed knock indicators based on in-cycle speed oscillations were found to be able to identify the knock-limited spark timings at different operating conditions. Results showed that the amplitude of speed oscillations, derived from in-cycle speed data with resolution of six crank angle degree, could also be used to quantify the knock. The knock frequency based on speed oscillations also showed a sharp increase at the onset of knock. Cycle by cycle knock estimation was also done using the speed oscillations. Thus, methods based on in-cycle oscillations of speed have the potential for detecting the knock in small spark-ignition engines.
CitationBhaskar, K., Jose, J., Mittal, M., and Ramesh, A., "Detection of engine knock using speed oscillations in a single-cylinder spark-ignition engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2206, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2206.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Brecq, G., Ramesh, A., Tazerout, M., and Le Corre, O. , “An Experimental Study of Knock in a Natural Gas Fuelled Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3562, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3562.
- Grandin, B. and Denbratt, I. , “The Effect of Knock on Heat Transfer in SI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0238, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0238.
- Attard, W., Toulson, E., Watson, H., and Hamori, F. , “Abnormal Combustion including Mega Knock in a 60% Downsized Highly Turbocharged PFI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1456, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1456.
- Kalghatgi, G. , “Auto-Ignition Quality of Practical Fuels and Implications for Fuel Requirements of Future SI and HCCI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0239, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0239
- D'Adamo, A., Breda, S., Iaccarino, S., Berni, F. et al. , “Development of a RANS-Based Knock Model to Infer the Knock Probability in a Research Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(3):722-739, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0551.
- Diana, S., Giglio, V., Iorio, B., and Police, G. , “Evaluation of the Effect of EGR on Engine Knock,” SAE Technical Paper 982479, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982479.
- Luo, W., Chen, B., Naber, J., and Glugla, C. , “Stochastic Knock Detection, Control, Software Integration, and Evaluation on a V6 Spark-Ignition Engine under Steady-State Operation,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1358, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1358.
- Mahendar, S., Erlandsson, A., and Adlercreutz, L. , “Challenges for Spark Ignition Engines in Heavy Duty Application: a Review,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0907, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0907.
- Amiel, R. and Tartakovsky, L. , “Effect of Flight Altitude on the Knock Tendency of SI Reciprocating Turbocharged Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-32-0006, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-32-0006.
- KistlerKiBox® To Go Type 2893A, “Kibox Instruction Manual for In-Vehicle and Test Bench Combustion Analysis”
- J.H. Thomas, B. Dubuisson, M.A. Dillies-Peltier , “Engine knock detection from vibration signals using pattern recognition” ,Meccanica, 32 (1997), pp. 431-439.
- M.M. Ettefagh, M.H. Sadeghi, V. Pirouzpanah, H. Arjmandi Tash , “Knock detection in spark ignition engines by vibration analysis of cylinder block: A parametric modeling approach, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing”, Volume 22, Issue 6, 2008, Pages 1495-1514, ISSN 0888-3270, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2007.11.027.
- Horner, T. , “Knock Detection Using Spectral Analysis Techniques on a Texas Instruments TMS320 DSP,” SAE Technical Paper 960614, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960614.
- S. Vulli, J.F. Dunne, R. Potenza, D. Richardson, P. King , “Time-frequency analysis of single-point engine-block vibration measurements for multiple excitation-event identification”, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Volume 321, Issues 3-5, 2009, Pages 1129-1143, ISSN 0022-460X, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2008.10.011.
- Anastasia, C. and Pestana, G. , "A Cylinder Pressure Sensor for Closed Loop Engine Control," SAE Technical Paper 870288, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870288.
- Liu, H., Wang, Z., Wooldridge, M., Fatouraie, M. et al. , “Highly Turbocharged Gasoline Engine and Rapid Compression Machine Studies of Super-Knock,” SAE Int. J. Engines 9(3):1475-1485, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0686.
- Brunt, M., Pond, C., and Biundo, J. , “Gasoline Engine Knock Analysis using Cylinder Pressure Data,” SAE Technical Paper 980896, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980896.
- Puzinauskas, P. , “Examination of Methods Used to Characterize Engine Knock,” SAE Technical Paper 920808, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920808.
- Ghanaati, A., Muhamad Said, M., and Mat Darus, I. , “A Comparative Study on Knock Occurrence for Different Fuel Octane Number,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1674, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1674.
- Brecq, G. and Le Corre, O. , “Modeling of In-cylinder Pressure Oscillations under Knocking Conditions: Introduction to Pressure Envelope Curve,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1126, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1126.
- Valtadoros, T., Wong, V., and Heywood, J. , “Engine Knock Characteristics at the Audible Level,” SAE Technical Paper 910567, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910567.
- Checkel, M. and Dale, J. , “Computerized Knock Detection from Engine Pressure Records,” SAE Technical Paper 860028, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860028.
- Ando, H., Takemura, J., and Koujina, E. , "A Knock Anticipating Strategy Basing on the Real-Time Combustion Mode Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 890882, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/890882.
- Stephen J. Citron, W. Lafayette, Ind , “On-line engine torque and torque fluctuation measurement for engine control utilizing crankshaft speed fluctuations”, U.S. Patent 4,697,561, Purdue Research Foundation, West Lafayette, Ind, 1987.