This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Economy Improvement by Engine Oil with Ultra-High Viscosity Index
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
With the electrification of automobiles, such as hybridization, engines on these vehicles operate more frequently at low oil temperatures, while engines are more specifically run at low engine speed and high load condition for driving vehicles. Hence, engine oils are required to reduce their viscosity at low temperature for friction reduction to improve fuel economy and maintain high temperature viscosity enough to protect engine parts for robustness at the same time. This leads to the improvement of viscosity index, the "ultra-high viscosity index (UHVI)" concept. The novel engine oil technology with a new high performance polymer was investigated. One of experimental oils showed the 100°C viscosity equivalent to SAE 0W-16 grade and the better fuel economy than that of SAE 0W-8 oil by an engine motoring friction test. This study demonstrated the promising performance of the UHVI concept to provide further fuel economy benefit especially for advanced electrified powertrains such as hybrid systems.
- Ko Onodera - EMG Lubricants Godo Kaisha
- Honami Watanabe - EMG Lubricants Godo Kaisha
- Takehisa Sato - EMG Lubricants Godo Kaisha
- Gordon H. Lee - ExxonMobil Research & Engineering Company
- Toyoharu Kaneko - Toyota Motor Corporation
- Kazuo Yamamori - Toyota Motor Corporation
- Itsuki Miyata - Toyota Motor Corporation
CitationOnodera, K., Watanabe, H., Sato, T., Lee, G. et al., "Fuel Economy Improvement by Engine Oil with Ultra-High Viscosity Index," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2203, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2203.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- UNECE http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29wgs/wp29gen/wp29glob_ registry.html
- Ishikawa , M. , Yamamori , K. , Hirano , S. , Kowalski , T. et al. Introduction of Fuel Economy Engine Oil Performance Target with New SAE Viscosity Grade SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 9 2 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0896
- ILSAC 2018
- Kaneko , T. , Yamamori , K. , Suzuki , H. , Onodera , K. , and Ogano , S. Friction Reduction Technology for Low Viscosity Engine Oil Compatible with LSPI Prevention Performance SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2276 2016 10.4271/2016-01-2276