This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improvement in PEMS performance for RDE testing at high and varying altitudes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
RDE (Real Driving Emissions) by definition is performed under a wide range of conditions. Altitude, as well as temperature, is one of the boundary conditions that depends on the area where the test is performed, which will vary from country to country. These boundary conditions not only affect the exhaust emissions from the vehicle, they also affect the accuracy of the PEMS (Portable Emission Measurement System).
The effect of barometric pressure changes on a PEMS was evaluated by altitude simulation chamber and means of an RDE test on Mt. Fuji. This paper describes the challenges for PEMS measurement with barometric pressure variations and the advanced system that has been developed to meet them.
CitationFukami, S. and Mohara, H., "Improvement in PEMS performance for RDE testing at high and varying altitudes," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2200, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2200.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- J. Jetter et al., Development of an On-Board Analyzer for Use on Advanced Low Emission Vehicles, SAE paper 2000-01-1140
- T. J. Truex et al., Measurement of Ambient Roadway and Vehicle Exhaust Emission - An Assessment of Instrument Capability and Initial On-Road Test Results with an Advanced Low Emission Vehicle, SAE paper 2000-01-1142.
- T. Miyazaki, Y. Takada and N. Iida, Development of on-board system to measure running condition and actual NOx emissions from freight vehicle, SAE paper 2002-01-0613 (2002).
- Y. Takada, T. Miyazaki and N. Iida, Study on local air pollution caused by NOx from diesel freight vehicle, SAE paper 2002-01-0651 (2002).
- J. Senda, N. Okui, T. Tsukamoto and H. Fujimoto, On-Board Measurement of Engine Performance and Emissions in Diesel Vehicle Operated with Bio-diesel Fuel, SAE paper 2004-01-0083 (2004).
- A. Unal, H. C. Frey, and N. M. Rouphail, Quantification of Highway Vehicle Emissions Hot Spots Based upon On-Board Measurements, J. Air & Waste Manage. Assoc., 54, 130-140, (2004).
- M. W. Spears, Advancing the Development of Portable Emission Measurement Systems, Proceedings of the 12th CRC On-Road Vehicle Emission Workshop, San Diego, CA, 2002.
- S. H. Cadle, B. E. Croes, F. Minassian, M. Natarajan, E. J. Tierney and D. R. Lawson, Real-World Vehicle Emissions: A Summary of the Thirteenth Coodinating Research Council On-Road Vehicle Emissions, J. Air & Waste Manage. Assoc., 54, 8-23 (2004).
- COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) 2017/1151 supplementing Regulation (EC) No 715/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council on type-approval of motor vehicles with respect to emissions from light passenger and commercial vehicles (Euro 5 and Euro 6) and on access to vehicle repair and maintenance information, amending Directive 2007/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council, Commission Regulation (EC) No 692/2008 and Commission Regulation (EU) No 1230/2012 and repealing Commission Regulation (EC) No 692/2008
- China's stage 6 emission standard for new light-duty vehicles (GB6 18352.6-2016)
- H. Nakamura, et.al., Development of an On-board Measurement System Utilizing a Heated-type NDIR(in Japanese with English summary), Proceedings of JSAE, No.20025258(2002)
- H. Nakamura, et.al., Development of a Wet-based NDIR and Its Application to On-board Emission Measurement System, SAE paper 2002-01-0612.
- H. Nakamura, et.al., Performance Test Results of a New On Board Emission Measurement System Conformed with CFR Part 1065, 07PFL-257
- H. Nakamura, et.al., Analysis of pulsating flow measurement of engine exhaust by a Pitot tube flowmeter, 10.1243/146808705X7329