This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Particle number emissions from standard and hybrid SI passenger cars
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents the PN (Particle Number) and some gaseous emissions results from a group of SI (Spark Ignition) passenger cars including HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicle), PFI (Port Fuel Injection) and GDI (Gasoline Direction Injection) vehicles. The PEMS (Portable Emission Measurement System) was used for on-board emission measurements. The vehicles were driven using the routes complying with the EU Real Driving Emissions (RDE) test procedures required in the European Commission Regulation (EU) 2016/427, i.e. starting in an urban driving mode and then continuing into a rural driving mode and ending with motorway driving mode part. The percentage of these three segments is approximately 33%, 33%, 33% respectively. The total test time was between 90 to 120 minutes.
The vehicles’ driving parameters such as road speed, tailpipe exhaust temperatures and energy consumption were recorded and their correlations with emissions were investigated. The results show that most of the PN spikes were related to acceleration, deceleration and engine restart events. Comparing accumulated PN from different vehicles, total PN from the hybrid car was the lowest, even though this hybrid car is the oldest among all the six cars being tested. Correlations between PN and v*a, VSP and CO2 emissions rates were investigated. A strong correlation was observed between the common logarithm of PN and CO2 emission rates.
- Daisy Thomas - School of Chemical and Process Engineering, The University o
- Hu Li - School of Chemical and Process Engineering, The University o
- Yan Kang - School of Chemical and Process Engineering, The University o
- Karl Ropkins - School of Chemical and Process Engineering, The University o
- Xin Wang - National Laboratory of Automotive Performance & Emission
- Yunshan Ge - National Laboratory of Automotive Performance & Emission
- Wenlin Yu - National Laboratory of Automotive Performance & Emission
- Bin Song - National Laboratory of Automotive Performance & Emission
CitationThomas, D., Li, H., Kang, Y., Ropkins, K. et al., "Particle number emissions from standard and hybrid SI passenger cars," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2194, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2194.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Suarez-Bertoa , R. and C. Astorga Impact of cold temperature on Euro 6 passenger car emissions. Environmental Pollution 2018 234 318 329
- Tong , Z. , et al. Quantifying the impact of traffic-related air pollution on the indoor air quality of a naturally ventilated building. Environment International 2016 89-90 138 146
- Li , M. Development and Outlook of China’s Vehicles Pollution Emissions Control Emission and air quality workshop 2018
- Zheng , X. et al. Evaluating real-world emissions of light-duty gasoline vehicles with deactivated three-way catalyst converters Atmospheric Pollution Research 9 1 126 132 2018
- Wu , Y. , et al. On-road vehicle emissions and their control in China: A review and outlook. Science of The Total Environment 2017 574 332 349
- Zinola , S. , S. Raux , and M. Leblanc Persistent Particle Number Emissions Sources at the Tailpipe of Combustion Engines SAE International.
- Yang , Z. , et al. Real driving particle number (PN) emissions from China-6 compliant PFI and GDI hybrid electrical vehicles. Atmospheric Environment 2019 199 70 79
- Robinson , M.K. and B.A. Holmén Onboard, Real-World Second-by-Second Particle Number Emissions from 2010 Hybrid and Comparable Conventional Vehicles. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 2011 2233 1 63 71
- Conger , M. and B.A. Holmén Characterization of Real-World Particle Number Emissions During Reignition Events from a 2010 Light-Duty Hybrid Electric Vehicle. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 2015 2503 137 146
- Yang , Z. , et al. Real driving particle number (PN) emissions from China-6 compliant PFI and GDI hybrid electrical vehicles. Atmospheric Environment 2018 199 70 79
- Thomas , D. , et al. A Comparison of Tailpipe Gaseous Emissions for RDE and WLTC Using SI Passenger Cars 2017 SAE International
- Wyatt , D.W. , H. Li , and J.E. Tate The impact of road grade on carbon dioxide (CO 2 ) emission of a passenger vehicle in real-world driving. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 2014 32 0 160 170
- Badshah , H. , D. Kittelson , and W. Northrop Particle Emissions from Light-Duty Vehicles during Cold-Cold Start. SAE Int. J. Engines 2016 9 3 1775 1785