This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Investigation of the Effects of Engine Size and Rotation Speed on Diesel Combustion based on Similarity Rules
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents a study on the effects of the engine size and rotation speed on diesel combustion characteristics and engine performance of two differently sized diesel engines (85 mm and 135 mm bores). For simplification of the evaluation, the experimental conditions were set based on the similarity rules proposed by Chikahisa. The combustion characteristics and the indicated thermal efficiencies were compared for the small and the large engines at the same engine speed. To examine the effects of the velocities of the in-cylinder gas and the fuel spray on the combustion and the thermal efficiency, the engine speed was changed in the small engine, while maintaining a non-dimensional engine speed.
CitationKobashi, Y., Tanaka, Y., Shibata, G., and Ogawa, H., "An Investigation of the Effects of Engine Size and Rotation Speed on Diesel Combustion based on Similarity Rules," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2181, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2181.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- J.E. Dec, “A Conceptual Model of DI Diesel Combustion Base on Laser-Sheet Imaging”, SAE Technical Paper 970873, 1997.
- H. Kosaka, T. Aizawa and T. Kamimoto, “Two-Dimensional Imaging of Ignition and Soot Formation Processes in a Diesel Flame”, Int. J. Engine Research, Vol.6, No.1, pp.21-42, 2005.
- H. Hiroyasu, M. Arai and M. Tabata, “Empirical Equations for the Sauter Mean Diameter of a Diesel Spray”, SAE Technical Paper 890464, 1989.
- Y. Wakuri, M. Fujii, T. Amitani and R. Tsuneya, “Studies on the Penetration of Fuel Spray in a Diesel Engine”, Bulletin of JSME, Vol.3, No.9, pp.123-130, 1960.
- D.L. Siebers, “Scaling Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays Based on Mixing-Limited Vaporization”, SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0528, 1999.
- L.M. Pickett, D.L. Siebers and C.A. Idicheria, “Relationship Between Ignition Processes and the Lift-Off Length of Diesel Fuel Jets”, SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3843, 2005.
- T. Chikahisa and T. Murayama, “Theory on Combustion Similarity for Different-Sized Diesel Engines”, JSME International Journal, Series II, Vol.33, No.2, pp.395-400, 1990.
- Y. Shi and R.D. Reitz, “Study of Diesel Engine Size-Scaling Relationships Based on Turbulence and Chemistry Scales”, SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0955, 2008.
- X. Zhou, T. Li, Z. Lai and B. Wang, “Scaling Fuel Sprays for Different Size Diesel Engines”, Fuel, Vol.225, No.1, pp.358-369, 2018.
- K. Inagaki, J. Mizuta, K. Kawamura, Y. Idota and T. Hashizume, “Theoretical Study on Spray Design for Small-Bore Diesel Engine”, SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0740, 2016.
- K. Kikuta, T. Chikahisa and Y. Hishinuma, “Study on Predicting Combustion and NOx Formation in Diesel Engines from Scale Model Experiments” (in Japanese), Transactions of the JSME, Series B, Vol.65, No.629, pp.369-375, 1999.
- Y. Shi, H.-W. Ge, R.D. Reitz, Computational Optimization of Internal Combustion Engines, Springer, Chapter 5, 2011.
- K. Inagaki, J. Mizuta and T. Hashizume, “Theoretical Study on Spray Design for Small-Bore-Size Diesel Engines (fourth report): Experimental and Theoretical Consideration of Similarity of Heat-Loss for Different-Bore Engines” (in Japanese), JSAE Annual Congress (Spring), Yokohama, No.20165321, pp.1704-1709, 2016.
- M.P.B. Musculus, P.C. Miles, and L.M. Pickett, “Conceptual Models for Partially Premixed Low-temperature Diesel Combustion”, Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Vol.39, Issues 2-3, pp.246-283, 2013.
- F.D.F. Chuahy, J. Olk, D. DelVescovo and S.L. Kokjohn, “An Engine Size-Scaling Method for Kinetically Controlled Combustion Strategies”, Int. Engine Research, 2018.
- M.J. Tess, C.-W. Lee and R.D. Reitz, “Diesel Engine Size Scaling at Medium Load without EGR”, SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1384, 2011.
- W. Bosch, “The Fuel Rate Indicator: A New Measuring Instrument for Display of the Characteristics of Individual Injection”, SAE Technical Paper 660749, 1966.
- J.C. Beale and R.D. Reitz, “Modeling Spray Atomization with the Kelvin-Helmholtz / Rayleigh-Taylor Hybrid Model”, Atomization and Sprays, Vol.9, Issue 6, pp.623-650, 1999.
- J.K. Dukowicz, “Quasi-Steady Droplet Change in the Presence of Convection”, Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory, LA7997-MS, 1979.
- O. Colin and A. Benkenida, “The 3-Zones Extended Coherent Flame Model (ECFM3Z) for Computing Premixed/Diffusion Combustion”, Oil and Gas Science and Technology - Rev. IFP, Vol.59, No.6, 2004.
- M. Schmitt, C.E. Frouzakis, Y.M. Wright, A.G. Tomboulides and K. Boulouchos, “Investigation of Wall Heat Transfer and Thermal Stratification under Engine-Relevant Conditions using DNS”, Int. J. Engine Research, Vol.17 (1), pp.63-75, 2016.
- X. Zhou, T. Li, Z. Lai and B. Wang, “Theoretical Study on Similarity of Diesel Combustion”, SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0235, 2018.