This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of ethanol blending on knocking in a lean burn SI engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 19, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Lean burn is one method for improving thermal efficiency in spark ignition (SI) engines. Suppression of knocking provides higher thermal efficiency, and ethanol blending is considered an effective way to suppress knocking due to its high octane and high latent heat of evaporation.
We investigate the effect of ethanol blending on knocking in an SI engine under lean operating conditions. The Livengood-Wu (LW) integral was performed based on ignition delay duration estimated from a zero-dimensional detailed chemical reaction calculation with pressure and temperature histories.
Knocking was suppressed and thermal efficiency increased with ethanol-gasoline blending fuel, even at 0.5 equivalence ratio. Decrease in unburned gas temperature by latent heat of evaporation had a comparable influence on knocking suppression, which was supported by LW integral analysis.
CitationKaneko, K., Yasutake, Y., Yokomori, T., and Iida, N., "Influence of ethanol blending on knocking in a lean burn SI engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2152, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2152.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Lake , T. , Stokes , J. , Murphy , R. , Osborne , R. et al. Turbocharging Concepts for Downsized DI Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0036 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0036
- Sjöberg , M. and Reuss , D. NO x -Reduction by Injection-Timing Retard in a Stratified-Charge DISI Engine using Gasoline and E85 SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 3 1096 1113 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1643
- Hoepke , B. , Jannsen , S. , Kasseris , E. , and Cheng , W. EGR Effects on Boosted SI Engine Operation and Knock Integral Correlation SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 547 559 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0707
- Cairns , A. , Blaxill , H. , and Irlam , G. Exhaust Gas Recirculation for Improved Part and Full Load Fuel Economy in a Turbocharged Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0047 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0047
- Horie , K. , Nishizawa , K. , Ogawa , T. , Akazaki , S. et al. The Development of a High Fuel Economy and High Performance Four-Valve Lean Burn Engine SAE Technical Paper 920455 1992 10.4271/920455
- Noguchi , M. , Sanda , S. , and Nakamura , N. Development of Toyota Lean Burn Engine SAE Technical Paper 760757 1976 10.4271/760757
- Hayashi , N. , Sugiura , A. , Abe , Y. , and Suzuki , K. Development of Ignition Technology for Dilute Combustion Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 10 3 984 995 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0676
- Jung , D. , Sasaki , K. , Sugata , K. , Matsuda , M. et al. Combined Effects of Spark Discharge Pattern and Tumble Level on Cycle-to-Cycle Variations of Combustion at Lean Limits of SI Engine Operation SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0677 2017 10.4271/2017-01-0677
- Lee , K. , Bae , C. , and Kang , K. The effects of tumble and swirl flows on flame propagation in a four-valve S.I. engine Applied Thermal Engineering 27 11-12 2122 2130 2007 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2006.11.011
- Zhou , F. , Fu , J. , Ke , W. , Liu , J. et al. Effects of lean combustion coupling with intake tumble on economy and emission performance of gasoline engine Energy 133 366 379 2017 10.1016/j.energy.2017.05.131
- Bayraktar , H. Experimental and theoretical investigation of using gasoline-ethanol blends in spark-ignition engines Renewable Energy 30 11 1733 1747 2005 10.1016/j.renene.2005.01.006
- Prasad , S. , Singh , A. , and Joshi , H.C. Ethanol as an alternative fuel from agricultural, industrial and urban residues Resources Conservation and Recycling 50 1 1 39 2007 10.1016/j.resconrec.2006.05.007
- Topgul , T. , Yucesu , H.C. , Cinar , C. , and Koca , A. The effects of ethanol-unleaded gasoline blends and ignition timing on engine performance and exhaust emissions Renewable Energy 31 15 2534 2542 2006 10.1016/j.renene.2006.01.004
- Nakata , K. , Utsumi , S. , Ota , A. , Kawatake , K. et al. The Effect of Ethanol Fuel on a Spark Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3380 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3380
- Yucesu , H.C. , Topgul , T. , Cinar , C. , and Okur , M. Effect of ethanol-gasoline blends on engine performance and exhaust emissions in different compression ratios Applied Thermal Engineering 26 17-18 2272 2278 2006 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2006.03.006
- Koc , M. , Sekmen , Y. , Topgul , T. , and Yucesu , H.C. The effects of ethanol-unleaded gasoline blendson engine performance and exhaust emissions in a spark-ignition engine Renewable Energy 34 10 2101 2106 2009 10.1016/j.renene.2009.01.018
- Kuwahara , K. and Ando , H. Role of Heat Accumulation by Reaction Loop Initiated by H2O2 Decomposition for Thermal Ignition SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0908 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0908
- Ando , H. , Sakai , Y. , and Kuwahara , K. Universal Rule of Hydrocarbon Oxidation SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0948 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0948
- Livengood , J.C. , and Wu , P.C. Correlation of Auto-ignition Phenomena in Internal Combustion Engines and Rapid Compression Machines Symposium on Combustion 5 1 347 356 1955
- Goto , Y. , Jung , D. , Ueda , T. , and Iida , N. The Effect of Fuel Composition on Ignition Delay and Knocking in Lean Burn SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2017-32-0112 2017
- Sasaki , K. , Jung , D. , Yokomori , T. , Iida , N. Effects of Spark Discharge Characteristic on Cycle-to-cycle Variations of Combustion for Lean SI Operation with High Tumble Flow SAE Technical Paper 2017-32-0111 2017
- Miyoshi , A. Chemical Kinetics Analysis on the Effect of the Occurrence of Cool Flame on SI Knock International Journal of Automotive Engineering 8 3 130 136 2017 10.20485/jsaeijae.8.3_130
- Tanaka , K. , Okada , H. , Koyama , T. , and Konno , M. Experimental Study of Ignition Mechanism of Japanese Commercial Gasoline Using a Rapid Compression Machine JSAE Transaction 47 3 679 684 2016 10.11351/ jsaeronbun.47.679
- Miyoshi , A. , Sakai , Y. Construction of a Detailed Kinetic Model for Gasoline Surrogate Mixtures JSAE Transaction 48 5 1021 1026 2017 10.11351/jsaeronbun.48.1021