This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characteristics of a Brake Disc’s Nonuniform Thermomechanical Responses to an Emergency Braking
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Brake discs in service are subjected to the combined thermal and mechanical loadings. Due to the complex interactions of different parts in operating brake systems and various thermal and mechanical boundary conditions, the thermomechanical responses of brake discs are highly nonuniformly distributed across the brake discs. In this paper, a detailed finite element analysis model was developed to understand the thermomechanical responses of a solid brake disc to an emergency braking. The temperature and the stress in the brake disc were then characterized thoroughly in the radial, circumferential and thickness direction of the disc, and it was found that they were all nonuniformly distributed in the three directions. Furthermore, the stress responses of the disc due to the combined thermal and mechanical loadings were separated into thermal stress and mechanical stress, and their particular characteristics to the individual thermal or mechanical loading were identified. That is: the amplitude of the total stress in the disc was predominately determined by the thermal loading; however the high cycle fluctuations were mainly due to the mechanical loading. All these findings will help us to understand the behaviors of brake discs under the emergency braking, particularly their responses to the separated thermal or mechanical loading, and allow us to optimize the brake disc design and the material usage for the specific applications.
CitationYang, Q., Gai, F., Song, L., Yu, H. et al., "Characteristics of a Brake Disc’s Nonuniform Thermomechanical Responses to an Emergency Braking," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2118, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2118.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Newcomb , T.P. Temperature Reached in Disc Brakes Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 2 3 167 177 1960
- Limpert , R. Brake Design and Safety Third Warrendale SAE International 2011 65 118 10.4271/R-398
- Eppler , S. , Klenk , T. , and Wiedemann , J. Thermal Simulation within the Brake System Design Process SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2587 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2587
- Choi , J. and Lee , I. Finite Element Analysis of Transient Thermoelastic Behaviors in Disc Brakes Wear 257 47 58 2004 10.1016/j.wear.2003.07.008
- Grzes , P. Use of the Finite Element Method for Simulation of Heat Generation in Disc Brakes Zeszyty Naukowe WSInf 9 3 124 140 2010
- Day , A.J. , Tirovic , M. , and Newcomb , T.P. Thermal Effects and Pressure Distributions in Brakes Proc Instn Mech Engrs 205 199 205 1991
- Fukano , A. and Matsui , H. Development of Disc-Brake Design Method Using Computer Simulation of Heat Phenomena SAE Technical Paper 860634 1986 10.4271/860634
- Hwang , P. , Wu , X. , Cho , S.W. , and Jeon , Y.B. Temperature and Coning Analysis of Ventilated Brake Disc Based on Finite Element Technique SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3670 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3670
- Valvano , T. and Lee , K. An Analytical Method to Predict Thermal Distortion of a Brake Rotor SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0445 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0445
- Gao , C.H. and Lin , X.Z. Transient Temperature Field Analysis of a Brake in a Non-Axisymmetric Three-Dimensional Model Journal of Materials Processing Technology 129 513 517 2002
- Hwang , P. , Wu , X. , and Jeon , Y.B. Repeated Brake Temperature Analysis of Ventilated Brake Disc on the Downhill Road SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2571 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2571
- Adamowicz , A. and Grzes , P. Analysis of Disc Brake Temperature Distribution during Single Braking under Non-Axisymmetric Load Applied Thermal Engineering 31 1003 1012 2011 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2010.12.016
- Talati , F. and Jalalifar , S. Investigation of Heat Transfer Phenomena in a Ventilated Disc Brake Rotor with Straight Radial Rounded Vanes Journal of Applied Sciences 8 20 3583 3592 2008
- Meng , D. , Liu , J. , Zhang , J. , and Zhang , L. Study on Brake Disc Dynamics under Asymmetric Thermal Loads SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1901 2018 10.4271/2018-01-1901