This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ceramic Bound Materials: A Suitable Solution for Light Brakes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A ceramic bound matrix has been investigated to be used as a friction material. The materials were produced by means of ceramic technology using frits containing silicates, and ceramic friction modifiers such as tin oxide, zircon, iron oxide, magnesium oxide. Four formulations were tested by means of a tribometer (pin-on-disc tester) using a gray cast iron counterpart. Test section included speeds between 1 and 12 ms-1, and loads between 25 and 400 N. The coefficient of friction of the tested specimens were between 0.7 and 0.4, and exhibited sensitivity to speed at low loads (25 N), while they are quite stables at high loads (400N). The characterization of the tribolayers was carried out by means of scanning electron microscopy. The four developed materials were named A, B, C, and D. They exhibited different wear rates and coefficients of friction. All the materials exhibited sensitivity to speed, while showed a lower sensitivity to load. The coefficient of friction level seems to be suitable for brake applications, oscillating between 0.6 and 0.4, depending on the test section. This kind of materials with further efforts can be possibly useful in future electric vehicles that will not demand large and expensive brakes.
- Roberto C. Dante - Quartz S.r.l.s.u.
- Edoardo Cotilli - Quartz S.r.l.s.u.
- Michael Conforti - Quartz S.r.l.s.u.
- Mario Cotilli - Quartz S.r.l.s.u.
- Tobias Schramm - Tu Braunschweig
- Georg-Peter Ostermeyer - Tu Braunschweig
- Marco Dastrù - 2Dto3D S.r.l.s.
- José Carlos Serrano-Posada - Chilches Materials S.A.
CitationDante, R., Cotilli, E., Conforti, M., Cotilli, M. et al., "Ceramic Bound Materials: A Suitable Solution for Light Brakes," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2109, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2109.
- Yang , M. , Jhou , H. , Ma , B. , and Shyu , K. A Cost-Effective Method of Electric Brake with Energy Regeneration for Electric Vehicles IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 56 6 2203 2212 2009 10.1109/TIE.2009.2015356
- von Albrichsfeld , C. and Karner , J. Brake System for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2009-04-20 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1217
- Shenberger , M. J. and Antanaitis , D. Brake System Design for Dedicated BEV Architectures SAE Technical Paper 2018-10-05 2018 10.4271/2018-01-1870
- Dante , R. C. Chapter 2: “Tribology of Friction Materials” Handbook of Friction Materials and Their Applications Cambridge WP-Elsevier 2016 7 28
- http://www.ids.tu-bs.de/index.php/ausstattung.html 2019