This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computational Simulation of an Electrically Heated Ice Protection System for Composite Leading Edges of Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 10, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The performance of an electrically heated aircraft ice protection system for a composite leading edge was evaluated. The composite leading edge of the model is equipped with a Ni alloy resistance heater. A state-of-the-art icing code, FENSAP-ICE, was used for the analysis of the electrothermal de-icing system. Computational results, including detailed information of conjugate heat transfer, were validated with experimental data. The computational model was then applied to the composite leading edge wing section at various metrological conditions selected from FAR Part 25 Appendix C.
CitationLawrence Raj, P., Jeong, H., Roy, R., Kweon, J. et al., "Computational Simulation of an Electrically Heated Ice Protection System for Composite Leading Edges of Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2041, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2041.
- Jones, S.M., Reveley, M.S., Evans, J.K., and Barrientos, F.A. , “Subsonic Aircraft Safety Icing Study,” 2008.
- Raj, L.P., Lee, J.W., and Myong, R.S. , “Ice Accretion and Aerodynamic Effects on a Multi-Element Airfoil under SLD Icing Conditions,” Aerospace Science and Technology, 2018.
- Jung, S., Myong, R., and Cho, T. , “Efficient Prediction of Ice Shapes in CFD Simulation of in-Flight Icing Using a POD-Based Reduced Order Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0032, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-38-0032.
- Ahn, G.B., Jung, K.Y., Myong, R.S., Shin, H.B. et al. , “Numerical and Experimental Investigation of Ice Accretion on Rotorcraft Engine Air Intake,” Journal of Aircraft 52:903-909, 2015.
- Gent, R.W., Dart, N.P., and Cansdale, J.T. , “Aircraft Icing. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London a: Mathematical,” Physical and Engineering Sciences 358:2873-2911, 2000.
- De Rosa, F. and Esposito, A. , “Electrically Heated Composite Leading Edges for Aircraft Anti-Icing Applications,” Fluid Dynamics & Materials Processing 8:107-128, 2012.
- Bourgault, Y., Boutanios, Z., and Habashi, W.G. , “Three-Dimensional Eulerian Approach to Droplet Impingement Simulation Using FENSAP-ICE, Part 1: Model, Algorithm, and Validation,” Journal of Aircraft. 37:95-103, 2000.
- Beaugendre, H., Morency, F., and Habashi, W.G. , “FENSAP-ICE's Three-Dimensional in-Flight ICE Accretion Module: ICE3D,” Journal of Aircraft 40:239-247, 2003.
- Croce, G., Beaugendre, H., and Habashi, W.G. , “CHT3D-FENSAP-ICE Conjugate Heat Transfer Computations with Droplet Impingement and Runback Effects,” in 40th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting & Exhibit, 2002, 386.
- Shin, J. and Bond, T.H. , “Experimental and Computational Ice Shapes and Resulting Drag Increase for a NACA 0012 Airfoil,” National Aeronautics and Space Administration, 1992.
- Wright, W.B., Park, B., Al-Khalil, O.K., and Miller, D. , “Validation of NASA Thermal Ice Protection Computer Codes Part 2-LEWICE/Thermal,” in 35th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, 1997.
- Jeck, R.K. , “Icing Design Envelopes (14 CFR Parts 25 and 29, Appendix C) Converted to a Distance-Based,” Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), 2002.
- Suke, P. , “Analysis of Heating Systems to Mitigate Ice Accretion on Wind Turbine Blades,” McMaster University, 2014.