This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computational Simulation of an Electrically Heated Ice Protection System for Composite Leading Edges of Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 10, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The performance of an electrically heated aircraft ice protection system for a composite leading edge was evaluated. The composite leading edge of the model is equipped with a Ni alloy resistance heater. A state-of-the-art icing code, FENSAP-ICE, was used for the analysis of the electrothermal de-icing system. Computational results, including detailed information of conjugate heat transfer, were validated with experimental data. The computational model was then applied to the composite leading edge wing section at various metrological conditions selected from FAR Part 25 Appendix C.
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Effects of Surface Wettability on Wind Driven Droplet|
|Technical Paper||Flight Investigation of Natural Laminar Flow on the Bellanca Skyrocket II|
CitationLawrence Raj, P., Jeong, H., Roy, R., Kweon, J. et al., "Computational Simulation of an Electrically Heated Ice Protection System for Composite Leading Edges of Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2041, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2041.
- Jones , S.M. , Reveley , M.S. , Evans , J.K. , and Barrientos , F.A. 2008
- Raj , L.P. , Lee , J.W. , and Myong , R.S. Ice Accretion and Aerodynamic Effects on a Multi-Element Airfoil under SLD Icing Conditions Aerospace Science and Technology 2018
- Jung , S. , Myong , R. , and Cho , T. Efficient Prediction of Ice Shapes in CFD Simulation of in-Flight Icing Using a POD-Based Reduced Order Model SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0032 2011 10.4271/2011-38-0032
- Ahn , G.B. , Jung , K.Y. , Myong , R.S. , Shin , H.B. et al. Numerical and Experimental Investigation of Ice Accretion on Rotorcraft Engine Air Intake Journal of Aircraft 52 903 909 2015
- Gent , R.W. , Dart , N.P. , and Cansdale , J.T. Aircraft Icing. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London a: Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences 358 2873 2911 2000
- De Rosa , F. and Esposito , A. Electrically Heated Composite Leading Edges for Aircraft Anti-Icing Applications Fluid Dynamics & Materials Processing 8 107 128 2012
- Bourgault , Y. , Boutanios , Z. , and Habashi , W.G. Three-Dimensional Eulerian Approach to Droplet Impingement Simulation Using FENSAP-ICE, Part 1: Model, Algorithm, and Validation Journal of Aircraft. 37 95 103 2000
- Beaugendre , H. , Morency , F. , and Habashi , W.G. FENSAP-ICE's Three-Dimensional in-Flight ICE Accretion Module: ICE3D Journal of Aircraft 40 239 247 2003
- Croce , G. , Beaugendre , H. , and Habashi , W.G. CHT3D-FENSAP-ICE Conjugate Heat Transfer Computations with Droplet Impingement and Runback Effects 40th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting & Exhibit 2002 386
- Shin , J. and Bond , T.H. 1992
- Wright , W.B. , Park , B. , Al-Khalil , O.K. , and Miller , D. Validation of NASA Thermal Ice Protection Computer Codes Part 2-LEWICE/Thermal 35th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit 1997
- Jeck , R.K. 2002
- Suke , P. 2014