This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of SLD Drop Size Distributions on Ice Accretion in the NASA Icing Research Tunnel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 10, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
An ice shape database has been created to document ice accretions on a 21-inch chord NACA0012 model and a 72-inch chord NACA 23012 airfoil model resulting from an exposure to a Supercooled Large Drop (SLD) icing cloud with a bimodal drop size distribution. The ice shapes created were documented with photographs, laser scanned surface measurements over a section of the model span, and measurement of the ice mass over the same section of each accretion. The icing conditions used in the test matrix were based upon previously used conditions on the same models but with an alternate approach to evaluation of drop distribution effects. Ice shapes resulting from the bimodal distribution as well as from equivalent monomodal drop size distributions were obtained and compared. Results indicate that the ice shapes resulting from the monomodal and bimodal drop size distributions had similar shapes, but the bimodal distributions had greater mass and volume measurements and icing limits that extended further back on the chord of the model.
CitationPotapczuk, M. and Tsao, J., "The Influence of SLD Drop Size Distributions on Ice Accretion in the NASA Icing Research Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2022, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2022.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
- Cober , S.G. , Isaac , G.A. , and Walter Strapp , J. Characterization of Aircraft Icing Environments that Include Supercooled Large Drops J. Appl. Meteor. 40 1984 2002 2001 10.1175/1520-0450(2001)040<1984:COAIET>2.0.CO;2
- King-Steen , L.-C. and Ide , R.F. Creating a Bimodal Drop-Size Distribution in the NASA Glenn Icing Research Tunnel 9th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference Denver, CO June 5-8 2017
- Potapczuk , M.G. , Tsao , J. , and King-Steen , L.E. Bimodal SLD Ice Accretion on a NACA 0012 Airfoil Model 9th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference Denver, CO June 5-8 2017 10.2514/6.2017-4478
- Potapczuk , M.G. and Tsao , J. Further Examinations of Bimodal SLD Ice Accretion in the NASA Icing Research Tunnel 2018 Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference Atlanta, GA June 25-29 2018 10.2514/6.2018-3182
- Steen , L.E. , Ide , R.F. , Van Zante , J.F. , and Acosta , W. J. NASA Glenn Icing Research Tunnel: 2014 and 2015 Cloud Calibration Procedure and Results NASA/TM-2015-218758 2015
- Lee , S. , Broeren , A.P. , Kreeger , R.E. , Potapczuk , M.G. et al. Implementation and Validation of 3-D Ice Accretion Measurement Methodology AIAA 6th Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference Atlanta, GA June 16-20 2014 10.2514/6.2014-2613
- Wrap , G. 2017 http://www.geomagic.com/en/products/wrap/overview
- Wright , W.B. 2008
- Wright , W.B. Validation Methods and Results for a Two-Dimensional Ice Accretion Code J. of Aircraft 35 5 1999