This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation of High Speed SLD Impact
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 10, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper proposes an experimental investigation of fast impinging large droplets in non-icing conditions. Two main aspects of the impact event are analyzed and discussed: the impact dynamics as a function of the surface nature and the deposition rate of the liquid on the impingement surface for various conditions. The data has been recorded and characterized at ambient pressure and a temperature of the air between 5 and 10°C using a vertical wind/droplet tunnel. To avoid the droplets evaporation the relative humidity was controlled. The morphology of impact was studied by backlighted imagery and quantitative results were obtained by image analysis. The deposition rate was obtained weighting the water accumulated on the impingement plate. Examination of splashing events images obtained on a clean surface and on blotter paper shows important differences in terms of secondary drop generation. The measurement of the deposition rate confirmed that the dynamics of drop impingement on blotter paper is not the same as impingement on a clean surface. These differences may significantly impact the development of models for icing applications.
CitationBODOC, V. and Berthoumieu, P., "Experimental Investigation of High Speed SLD Impact," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2006, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2006.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Wright, W.B. , “Validation Results for LEWICE 3.0,” in 43rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, AIAA Paper 2005-1243, 2005.
- Trontin, P. and Villedieu, P. , “Revisited Model for Supercooled Large Droplet Impact onto A Solid Surface,” Journal of Aircraft, 2016, doi:10.2514/1.c0340952.
- Sabri, F., Trifu, O., and Paraschivoiu, I. , “In-Flight Ice Accretion Simulation in SLD Conditions,” in 25th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Miami, FL, 2007.
- Li, H., Roisman, I., and Tropea, C. , “Physics of Supercooled Large Drops (SLD): Literature Review, Extreme Icing Environment,” EXTICE Project, WP2 Intermediate Report, Darmstadt, 2009.
- Papadakis, M., Hung, K.E., Vu, G.T., Yeong, H.W. et al. , “Experimental Investigation of Water Droplet Impingement on Airfoils, Finite Wings, and An S-Duct Engine Inlet,” NASA Tr 2002-211700, 2002.
- Papadakis, M., Rachman, A., Wong, S.C., Hung, K.E. et al. , “Experimental Study of Supercooled Large Droplet Impingement Effects,” DOT/FAA/AR-03/59 Report, Office Of Aviation Research Washington, DC, 2003.
- Tan, S.C., Papadakis, M., Miller, D., Bencic, T. et al. , “Experimental Study of Large Drops Splashing and Breakup,” in 45th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting And Exhibit, Reno, NV, 2007.
- Tan, S.C. , “A Tentative Mass Loss Model for Simulating Water Droplet Splash,” in AIAA Conference, Reno, NV, AIAA-2004-410, 2004.
- Yarin, A.L. , “Drop Impact Dynamics: Splashing, Spreading, Receding, Bouncing,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics (38):159-192, doi:10.1146/annuarev.fluid.38.050304.092144.
- Josserand, C. and Thoroddsen, S. , “Drop Impact on A Solid Surface,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 48:365-391, 2016, doi:10.1146/annuarev-fluid-122414-034401.
- Rein, M. , “Phenomena of Liquid Drop Impact on Solid and Liquid Surfaces,” Fluid Dynamics Research 12:61-93, 1993.
- Mundo, C., Sommerfeld, M., and Tropea, C. , “Droplet-Wall Collisions: Experimental Studies of the Deformation and Breakup Process,” Int. J. Multiphase Flow 21(2):151-173, 1995.
- Guo, Y., Lian, Y., and Sussman, M. , “Investigation of Drop Impact on Dry and Wet Surfaces with Consideration of Surrounding Air,” Physics of Fluids 28:073303, 2016.
- Cossali, G.E., Coghe, A., and Marengo, M. , “The Impact of a Single Drop on a Wetted Solid Surface,” Experiments in Fluids 22(6):463-472, 1997, doi:10.1007/s003480050073.
- Rioboo, R., Tropea, C., and Marengo, M. , “Outcomes from a Drop Impact on Solid Surfaces,” Atomization and Sprays 11:155-165, 2001, doi:10.1615/atomiz.v11.i2.40.
- Xu, L., Barcos, L., and Nagel, S.R. , “Splashing of Liquids: Interplay of Surface Roughness with Surrounding Gas,” Physical Review, E 76:066311, 2007.
- Latka, A., Strandburg-Peshkin, A., Driscoll, M.M., Stevens, C.S. et al. , “Creation of Prompt and Thin-Sheet Splashing by Varying Surface Roughness or Increasing Air Pressure,” Physical Review Letters, PRL 109, 054501, 2012.
- Berthoumieu, P. , “Experimental Study of Supercooled Large Drops Impact in an Icing Wind Tunnel,” in AIAA Conference, New Orleans, 2012, AIAA 2012-3130.
- Berthoumieu P. and Déjean, B. , “Experimental Investigation of SLD Impact Phenomena,” in 7th European Conference for Aeronautics and Space Sciences - EUCASS, Milan, Italy, 2017.