Focus on Challenges in SLD Regime: Reemitted Droplet Modelling
Published June 10, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
A lot of studies have been carried out over the last decades on SLD ice accretion challenges. Many of them referred to SLD physics modelling such as break-up, splashing, bouncing, etc… and relied on numerous physics experiments. Different models have been developed in Europe and North-America and have been implemented in several numerical tools, widely in 2D but more and more in 3D. As these tools are intended to be used increasingly among the community, deficiencies have to be deeper investigated. This paper provides some highlights on specific needs linked to SLD impingement and ice accretion, especially for 3D high fidelity computations. Regarding the results, deficiencies on the numerical side and on experimental needs will be highlighted in order to feed brainstorming for ongoing SLD projects such as in European Union H2020 ICE-GENESIS.
CitationCaminade, F. and Frazza, L., "Focus on Challenges in SLD Regime: Reemitted Droplet Modelling," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2001, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2001.
- Wright, W.B. , “Validation Results for LEWICE 3.0,” 43rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, AIAA Paper 2005-1243, Reno 2005.
- Wright, W.B. , “Further Refinement of the LEWICE SLD Model,” 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, AIAA Paper 2006-0464, Reno, 2006.
- Honsek, R., Habashi, W.G., and Aubé, M.S. , “Fensap-Ice: Eulerian Modeling of in-Flight Icing due to Supercooled Large Droplets,” Journal of Aircraft 45(4):1290-1296, 2008.
- Kim, I., Bachchan, N., and Peroomian, O. , “Supercooled Large Droplet for Aircraft Icing Using an Eulerian-Eulerian Approach,” Journal of Aircraft 53(2):487-500, 2016.
- Hospers, J. and Hoeijmakers, H.W.M. , “Numerical Simulation of SLD Ice Accretions,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0071, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-38-0071.
- Trontin, P and Villedieu, P. , “Revisited Model for Supercooled Large Droplet Impact onto a Solid Surface,” 8th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environment Conference, AIAA Paper 2016-3742, Washington, DC, June 2016.
- Papadakis, M., Rachman, A., Wong, S.-C., Yeong, H.-W., Hung, K.E., and Bidwell, C.S. , “Water Impingement Experiments on a NACA 23012 Airfoil with Simulated Glaze Ice Shapes,” AIAA Paper 2004-0565, Reno, 2004.
- Tan, S.C. and Papadakis, M. , “Simulation of SLD Impingement on a High-Lift Airfoil,” 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, AIAA Paper 2006-0463, Reno, 2006.
- Zhang, C., Wang, F., Kong, W., and Hongliu , “The Characteristics of SLD Icing Accretions and Aerodynamic Effects on High-Lift Configurations,” 33rd AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, AIAA Paper 2015-3385, Dallas, June 2015.
- Papadakis, M., Hung, K.E., Vu, G.T., Yeong, H.-W., Bidwell, C.S., Breer, M., and Bencic, T.J. , “Experimental Investigation of Water Droplet Impingement on Airfoils, Finite Wings, and an S-Duct Engine Inlet,” NASA TM-2002-211700.