This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of Ice Particle Breakup and Ingestion into the Honeywell Uncertified Research Engine (HURE)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 10, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Numerical solutions have been generated which simulate flow inside an aircraft engine flying at altitude through an ice crystal cloud. The geometry used for this study is the Honeywell Uncertified Research Engine (HURE) which was recently tested in the NASA Propulsion Systems Laboratory (PSL) in January 2018. The simulations were carried out at predicted operating points with a potential risk of ice accretion. The extent of the simulation is from upstream of the engine inlet to downstream past the strut in the core and bypass. The flow solution is produced using GlennHT, a NASA in-house code. A mixing plane approximation is used upstream and downstream of the fan. The use of the mixing plane allows for steady state solutions in the relative frame. The flow solution is then passed on to LEWICE3D for particle trajectory, impact and breakup prediction. The LEWICE3D code also uses a mixing plane approximation at the boundaries upstream and downstream of the fan. A distribution of particle sizes is introduced upstream, based on the distribution measured during the test. Predicted collection efficiency and melt ratio results are presented on various surfaces. The redistribution of particle sizes and mass are also investigated at various axial locations and compared to particle measurements in the bypass.
CitationRigby, D., Wright, W., Flegel, A., and King, M., "Simulation of Ice Particle Breakup and Ingestion into the Honeywell Uncertified Research Engine (HURE)," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1965, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1965.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Mason , J. , Strapp , W. , and Chow , P. The Ice Particle Threat to Engines in Flight 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting 2006 2445 2465 v4
- Mazzawy , R. and Strapp , J. Appendix D-An Interim Icing Envelope SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3311 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3311
- Flegel , A.B. 2017
- Oliver , M. Validation Ice Crystal Icing Engine Test in the Propulsion Systems Laboratory at NASA Glenn Research Center AIAA 2014-2898 2014
- Flegel , A.B. and Oliver , M.J. Preliminary Results from a Heavily Instrumented Engine Ice Crystal Icing Test in a Ground Based Altitude Test Facility 8th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference, AIAA-2016-3894 2016
- Goodwin , R.V. and Dischinger , D.G. Turbofan Ice Crystal Rollback Investigation and Preparations Leading to Inaugural Ice Crystal Engine Test at NASA PSL-3 test Facility AIAA 2014-2895 2014
- Flegel , A. , Agui , J. , King , M. , Tsao , J.C. et al. Ice Crystal Effects on a Hidden Core Turbofan Engine in an Altitude Simulation icing Facility 2019 SAE International Conference on Icing of Aircraft, Engines, and Structures, 19ICE-0137 Minneapolis, MN June 17-21, 2019
- Tsao , J.-C. Altitude Scaling Evaluation for Ice Crystal Icing Characteristics on a Modern Turbofan Engine in PSL SAE 2019 International Conference on Icing of Aircraft, Engines, and Structures SAE International Minneapolis, MN 2019
- King , M. Particle Size Measurements from the 2018 Honeywell Uncertified Research Engine Test in the NASA Propulsion System Laboratory SAE 2019 International Conference on Icing of Aircraft, Engines, and Structures SAE International Minneapolis, MN 2019
- Steinthorsson , E. , Liou , M. , and Povinelli , L. Development of an Explicit Multiblock/Multigrid Flow Solver for Viscous Flows in Complex Geometries AIAA-93-2380 (NASA TM-106356) 1993
- Ameri , A.A. , Rigby , D.L. , Steinthorsson , E. , Heidmann , J. et al. Unsteady Analysis of Blade and Tip Heat Transfer as Influenced by the Upstream Momentum and Thermal Wakes ASME. J. Turbomach. 132 4 041007-041007-7 2010 10.1115/1.3213549
- Bidwell , C. and Potapczuk , M. 1993
- Bidwell , C. A Lagrangian Parcel Based Mixing Plane Method for Calculating Water Based Mixed Phase Particle Flows in Turbo-machinery Journal of Computational Particle Mechanics 2015 10.1007/s40571-015-0033-z
- Wright , W. , Struk , P. , Bartkus , T. , and Addy , G. Recent Advances in the LEWICE Icing Model SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2094 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2094
- Hauk , T. , Roisman , I.V. , and Tropea , C.D. Investigation of the Impact Behavior of Ice Particles AIAA-2014-3046
- Currie , T.C. , Fuleki , D. , and Mahallati , A.
- Rigby , D. , Veres , J. , and Bidwell , C. Three Dimensional Simulation of Flow in an Axial Low Pressure Compressor at Engine Icing Operating Points SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2132 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2132
- Bidwell , C. and Rigby , D. Ice Particle Analysis of the Honeywell ALF502 Engine Booster SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2131 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2131
- Veres , J.P. , Jorgenson , P.C.E. , Bommireddy , S.R. , and Nili , S.
- Jorgenson , P.C.E. , Veres , J.P. , Bommireddy , S.R. , and Nili , S.