This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
SLD and Ice Crystal Discrimination with the Optical Ice Detector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 10, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In response to new safety regulations regarding aircraft icing, Collins Aerospace has developed and tested an Optical Ice Detector (OID) capable of discriminating among icing conditions appropriate to Appendix C and Appendix O of 14 CFR Part 25 and Appendix D of Part 33. The OID is a short-range, polarimetric lidar that samples the airstream up to ten meters beyond the skin of the aircraft. The intensity and extinction of the backscatter light correlate with bulk properties of the cloud, such as water content and phase. Backscatter scintillation (combined with the outside air temperature from another probe) signals the presence of supercooled large droplets (SLD) within the cloud-a capability incorporated into the OID to meet the requirements of Appendix O.
Recent laboratory and flight tests of the Optical Ice Detector have confirmed the efficacy of the OID to discriminate among the various icing conditions. Drizzle-sized droplets, mixed with a small droplet cloud in the Collins Cloud Chamber, appear as scintillations in the lidar signal when it is processed pulse-by-pulse. Averaging the signal over multiple pulses, causes large droplets to become obscured by the small droplet background. In addition, the OID has discriminated and quantified mixed phase in a flight test aboard the NASA DC-8 Airborne Science Laboratory. The threshold for ice water quantification is less than 0.5 g/m3 IWC, while that for liquid water cloud detection is less than 0.05 g/m3 LWC.
|Technical Paper||NRC Particle Detection Probe: Results and Analysis from Ground and Flight Tests|
|Aerospace Standard||Determination of Distance from Ground Observer to Aircraft for Acoustic Tests|
|Technical Paper||Aircraft Icing Under an Evolving Mixed Phase Environment|
CitationAnderson, K. and Ray, M., "SLD and Ice Crystal Discrimination with the Optical Ice Detector," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1934, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1934.
- Federal Aviation Administration 2014
- Ray , M. and Anderson , K. Analysis of Flight Test Results of the Optical Ice Detector SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 8 1 1 8 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2106
- SAE International Standards 2017
- Ray , M. , Nesnidal , M. , and Socha , D. Optical Detection of Airborne Ice Crystals and Water Droplets 1st AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference San Antonio, TX June 22-25 2009
- Halama , G. , Ray , M. , Anderson , K. , and Nesnidal , M. Optical Ice Detection: Test Results from the NASA Glenn Icing Research Tunnel 2nd AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference Toronto, ON Aug. 2-5 2010
- Anderson , K. , Halama , G. , Ray , M. , and Nesnidal , M. Cloud Phase Discrimination Using the Optical Icing Conditions Detector: Wind Tunnel and Flight Test Results SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0076 2011 10.4271/2011-38-0076
- Yang , P. , Wei , H. , Huang , H. , Baum , B. et al. Scattering and Absorption Property Database for Nonspherical Ice Particles in the Near- Through Far-Infrared Spectral Region Applied Optics 44 26 5512 5523 2005
- Ray , M. , Anderson , K. , and Miller , M.
- Gimmestad , G. Re-Examination of Depolarization in Lidar Measurements Applied Optics 47 21 3795 3802 2008
- Ratvasky , T. , Strapp , W. , Lillie , L. , Proctor , F. et al. 2019
- Davison , C. R. , MacLeod , J. D. , Strapp , J. W. , and Buttsworth , D. R. Isokinetic Total Water Content Probe in a Naturally Aspirating Configuration: Initial Aerodynamic Design and Testing 46th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit Jan. 10 2008 Reno, NV
- Davison , C.R. , Landreville , C. , and MacLeod , J.D. 2010
- Strapp , J.W. , Lilie , L. , Ratvasky , T. , Davison , C. et al Isokinetic TWC Evaporator Probe: Development of the IKP2 and Performance Testing for the HAIC-HIWC Darwin 2014 and Cayenne Field Campaigns 8th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference 2016 10.2514/6.2016-4059
- Davison , C.R. , Strapp , J.W. , Lilie , L. , Ratvasky , T.P. et al. Isokinetic TWC Evaporator Probe: Calculations and Systemic Error Analysis 8th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference June 17 2016 Washington, DC 10.2514/6.2016-4060