This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flight Optimization Model on Global and Interval Ranges for Conceptual Studies of MEA Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: AeroTech Europe
In development of more electric aircraft applications, it is important to discuss aircraft energy management on various level of aircraft operation. This paper presents a computationally efficient optimization model for evaluating flight efficiency on global and interval flight ranges. The model is described as an optimal control problem with an objective functional subjected to state condition and control input constraints along a flight path range. A flight model consists of aircraft point-mass equations of motion including engine and aerodynamic models. The engine model generates the engine thrust and fuel consumption rate for operation condition and the aerodynamic model generates the drag force and lift force of an aircraft for flight conditions. These models is identified by data taken from a published literature as an example. First, approximate optimization process is performed for climb, cruise, decent and approach as each interval range path. Next, optimization for global range path involves whole flight path to find optimal operation condition in the flight. In aircraft energy management, fuel consumption converts into not only thrust power, but power of electric, hydraulic and environmental control systems. The flight optimization model with modified engine model will be applicable for evaluating aircraft energy performance on more electric aircraft applications.
|Technical Paper||Simulation of Aircraft Virtual Architecture - Bleed Off-Take and ECS|
|Technical Paper||Microwave Technique for Liquid Water Detection in Icing Applications|
|Technical Paper||Design Considerations for Aircraft Generator with Start Function|
CitationShibuya, Y., Oyori, H., Sugawara, H., and Seki, N., "Flight Optimization Model on Global and Interval Ranges for Conceptual Studies of MEA Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1906, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1906.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Pornet, C. and Isikveren, A.T. , “Conceptual Design of Hybrid-Electric Transport Aircraft,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences 79:114-135, 2015.
- Gnadt, A.R., Speth, R.L., Sabnis, J.S., and Barrett, S.R.H. , “Technical and Environmental Assessment of All-Electric 180-Passenger Commercial Aircraft,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences 105:1-30, 2019.
- Brelje, B.J. and Martins, J.R.R.A. , “Electric, Hybrid, and Turboelectric Fixed-Wing Aircraft: A Review of Concepts, Models, and Design Approaches,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences 104(1-19), 2019.
- Yang, Y. and Gao, Z. , “Power Optimization of the Environmental Control System for the Civil more Electric Aircraft,” Energy 172:196-206, 2019.
- Gardi, A., Sabatini, R., and Ramasamy, S. , “Multi-Objective Optimisation of Aircraft Flight Trajectories in the ATM and Avionics Context,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences 83:1-36, 2016.
- Liem, R., Kenway, G.K., and Martins, J.R.R.A. , “Multimission Aircraft Fuel-Burn Minimization via Multipoint Aerostructural Optimization,” AIAA Journal 53(1):104-122, 2015.
- Antoine, N.E. and Kroo, I.M. , “Framework for Aircraft Conceptual Design and Environmental Performance Studies,” AIAA Journal 43(10):2100-2109, 2005.
- Zang, M., Filippone, A., and Bojdo, N. , “Multi-Objective Optimization of Aircraft Departure Trajectories,” Aerospace Science and Technology 79:37-47, 2018.
- Othman, N. and Kanazaki, M. , “Development of Multiobjective Trajectory-Optimization Method and its Application to Improve Aircraft Landing,” Aerospace Science and Technology 58:166-177, 2016.
- Pierson, B.L. and Ong, S.Y. , “Minimum-Fuel Aircraft Transition Trajectories,” Mathematical and Computer Modelling 12(8):925-934, 1989.
- Morales, M.A.V., Antonio, F.J.S., and Neto, A.B.G. , “Equations of Motion for Optimal Maneuvering with Global Aerodynamic Model,” Aerospace Science and Technology 77:206-216, 2018.
- Sorensen, J.A. and Waters, M.H. , “Generation of Optimum Vertical Profiles for an Advanced Flight Management System,” NASA Technical Report, NASA-CR-165674, 1981.
- MIL-STD-210A , http://www.pdas.com/milstd210.html.