This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Drivetrain Noise Source Identification and Active Noise Control of a Heavy Off-Road Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Drivetrain noise from heavy off-road vehicles mainly includes engine noise, drive shaft noise, wheel-side gear noise, tire pattern noise etc. They are the main noise sources for such vehicles as they greatly influence the ride comfort of the passengers inside. This paper solved the drivetrain noise problems of a heavy off-road vehicle using the method of active noise control (ANC). Firstly, the vehicle is benchmarked and the noise problems are analyzed, while the noise sources are identified by analyzing the transmission principles of the drivetrain. Secondly, ANC strategies are made for the vehicle based on the noise profiles under various operating conditions. Thirdly, the multiple parameters for ANC are computed from simulations modeling the vehicle in idle, constant speed and acceleration respectively. Lastly, road tests are conducted using the multiple parameters from the simulations and a noise reduction of 2-4 dB can be achieved in the whole vehicle. The results has shown that ANC is an effective method for drivetrain noise reduction in heavy off-road vehicles as this paper provides references for the systematic solution dealing with such problem.
- Zuguo Xia - Dongfeng Motor Technical Center
- Hailin Ruan - Gissing Tech. Co., Ltd.
- Wei Huang - Gissing Tech. Co., Ltd.
- Longchen Li - Gissing Tech. Co., Ltd.
- Xiaojun Chen - Gissing Tech. Co., Ltd.
- Xiujie Tian - Gissing Tech. Co., Ltd.
- Keda Zhu - Gissing Tech. Co., Ltd.
- Changwei Zheng - Gissing Tech. Co., Ltd.
- Jiapeng Zhao - Gissing Tech. Co., Ltd.
- Renjie Dai - Gissing Tech. Co., Ltd.
CitationRuan, H., Huang, W., Li, L., Xia, Z. et al., "Drivetrain Noise Source Identification and Active Noise Control of a Heavy Off-Road Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1566, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1566.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Elliott , S.J. and Nelson , P.A. The Active Control of Sound Electronics & Communications Engineering Journal 46 4 127 136 1990
- Hasegawa , S. , Tabata , T. , Kinoshita , A. , and Hyodo , H. The Development of an Active Noise Control System for Automobiles SAE Technical Paper 922086 1992 10.4271/922086
- Kuo , S.M. and Morgan , D.R. Active Noise Control: A Tutorial Review Proceedings of the IEEE 87 6 943 973 2002
- Maguire PhD , D. , Reilly , K. , and Carme PhD , C. Production Integration of Active Noise Control Systems in Working Locomotives - Challenges and Benefits SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1640 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1640
- Johansson , S. and Lagö , T.L. Claesson I . Performance of a Single-versus a Twin-reference Controller in a Narrowband Active Noise Control Application, #416[J]. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering 32 1 1999
- Schirmacher , R. Active Noise Control and Active Sound Design - Enabling Factors for New Powertrain Technologies SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1408 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1408
- Giakoumis , E.G. , Rakopoulos , D.C. , and Rakopoulos , C.D. Combustion Noise Radiation during Dynamic Diesel Engine Operation including Effects of Various Biofuel Blends: A Review Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 54 1099 1113 2016
- Grove , E.C. and Lalor , N. A Review of Low Noise Diesel Engine Design at I.S.V.R Journal of Sound & Vibration 28 3 1973
- Li , W. , Gu , F. , Ball , A.D. , Leung , A.Y.T. , and Phipps , C.E. A Study of the Noise from Diesel Engines using the Independent Component Analysis Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 15 6 1165 1184 2001
- Russell , M. Automotive Diesel Engine Noise and Its Control SAE Technical Paper 730243 1973 10.4271/730243
- Li , L. , Huang , W. , Ruan , H. , Tian , X. et al. A New Strategy Optimization Method for Vehicle Active Noise Control Based on the Genetic Algorithm SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1831 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1831